Author Topic: Best Albums of 2013  (Read 18755 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Best Albums of 2013
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 02:34:56 pm »
indeed it does.  but you always were a hero in my book . . . especially the way your clothes so softly hit the floor.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 02:49:13 pm »
I cannot imagine a better response than that. Bravo!

Yada

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 02:53:50 pm »
When you all create your lists, do you consider only choosing albums that you think you'll listen to in XXX amount of years from today?

I could possibly come up with a "best" list of 20 or so albums from this year, however, I bet only a handful of them I'll be listening to in 2022.

Ehh, that's kind of the way it always is if you consume a lot of music year after year. I keep a running MSWord document and when a particular record really stands out as something I'm listening to a lot, I put it on the list. Then when I saw this thread, I just pulled out the list, put them in order of how I feel about them and there you go.

One nice thing about having a document is that I now have 'Best Of' docs going back to 2005. For the most part, whatever I put at #1 and #2 are still records I love a lot, and usually those listed at #7 have faded from memory, though there are lots of exceptions.

I can guarantee that I will be listening to my #2 pick, Perfume's Level 3, for years because it's great exercise music. And I think I'll still love No Joy in 10 years because it's a great album and I like pretty much every track on it.

Cool... I used to do something similar to that in the 00's but then I got lazy... I also realized I was trying to consume too much music and not really enjoy the finer albums that were/are being put out. Too many bands of the week (BOTW) out there that have no staying power that I wasted a few years on. Atomic will figure this out at some point.

Yada

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 02:54:18 pm »
When you all create your lists, do you consider only choosing albums that you think you'll listen to in XXX amount of years from today?

I could possibly come up with a "best" list of 20 or so albums from this year, however, I bet only a handful of them I'll be listening to in 2022.

How would you come up with a list of albums you would listen to in 2022? Seems pointless and frankly probably won't even be true.  I liked the the album "Bananaramma" when it came out in 1984 but I don't listen to it anymore and that doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the album at the time. 

http://forum.930.com/index.php?topic=19630.msg372765#msg372765

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 02:55:04 pm »
im waiting for the "fucking worst albums of 2013 list"

Vas Deferens

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 02:57:02 pm »
(_|_)

atomic

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 02:57:58 pm »

How would you come up with a list of albums you would listen to in 2022? Seems pointless and frankly probably won't even be true.  I liked the the album "Bananaramma" when it came out in 1984 but I don't listen to it anymore and that doesn't take away from my enjoyment of the album at the time. 

Not only did you read my post but you wasted a bunch of your time searching for another post and linking it here.  Why the F would you care what you liked now be effected by what you listen to in 10 years? It doesn't make sense.  Dont' worry no one will be reading this board in 10 years much less searching your list from 2013.

Yada

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 03:01:50 pm »

Not only did you read my post but you wasted a bunch of your time searching for another post and linking it here.  Why the F would you care what you liked now be effected by what you listen to in 10 years? It doesn't make sense.  Dont' worry no one will be reading this board in 10 years much less searching your list from 2013.

Do I need to block you again anusfront?

atomic

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 03:02:06 pm »

Ehh, that's kind of the way it always is if you consume a lot of music year after year. I keep a running MSWord document and when a particular record really stands out as something I'm listening to a lot, I put it on the list. Then when I saw this thread, I just pulled out the list, put them in order of how I feel about them and there you go.

One nice thing about having a document is that I now have 'Best Of' docs going back to 2005. For the most part, whatever I put at #1 and #2 are still records I love a lot, and usually those listed at #7 have faded from memory, though there are lots of exceptions.

I can guarantee that I will be listening to my #2 pick, Perfume's Level 3, for years because it's great exercise music. And I think I'll still love No Joy in 10 years because it's a great album and I like pretty much every track on it.

Cool... I used to do something similar to that in the 00's but then I got lazy... I also realized I was trying to consume too much music and not really enjoy the finer albums that were/are being put out. Too many bands of the week (BOTW) out there that have no staying power that I wasted a few years on. Atomic will figure this out at some point.

Why do you care about the staying power?  I am sure no matter how irrelevant a band becomes members of this board will still see them.  Case in point: Crowded House, Nick Cave and Morrissey. I listened to all of these at one point and no longer listen to any of them but there are members of this board who get wet every time one of these acts shows are announced.

atomic

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 03:02:44 pm »

Do I need to block you again anusfront?

Block me because you made a stupid post.  Maybe you should block yourself.

bearman🐻

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2013, 03:59:13 pm »
QOTSA -- ...Like Clockwork
Best Coast -- Fade Away (mini LP)
Kurt Vile -- Walkin on a Pretty Daze
Throwing Muses -- Purgatory/Paradise
Yo La Tengo -- Fade
My Bloody Valentine -- MBV
NIN -- Hesitation Marks
Dean Wareham -- Emancipated Hearts (mini LP)
Arctic Monkeys -- AM
Primal Scream -- More Light

Honorable Mention
Iggy and the Stooges -- Ready to Die (Though not great, I really enjoyed this LP)
Palma Violets -- 180
Bad Religion -- The True North

For the record, the best thing I heard this year was Pylon's first LP, which a friend of mine turned me onto. That is the one LP that got me through this shitty, shitty year.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:03:47 pm by bearman »

bearman🐻

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2013, 04:01:13 pm »

At the top of my list is Vampire Weekend. I just don't get that band. They're one band that make me feel really, really old. And I'm not that old (yet).

hutch

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2013, 04:08:37 pm »

At the top of my list is Vampire Weekend. I just don't get that band. They're one band that make me feel really, really old. And I'm not that old (yet).

#1 on rolling stone's end of year album list... whatever that means

hutch

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2013, 04:14:12 pm »

For the record, the best thing I heard this year was Pylon's first LP, which a friend of mine turned me onto. That is the one LP that got me through this shitty, shitty year.

I hear that... for me it was the hellacopters.... fuckin' livid i missed imperial state electric at dc9 ..biggest rock show fuckup of the year...i will be ruing it for many years until Nicke comes back which might be a long ways away..

bearman🐻

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2013, 04:15:37 pm »

#1 on rolling stone's end of year album list... whatever that means

?He looks harmless but he does represent the magazine that trashed ?Layla,? broke up Cream, ripped every album Led Zeppelin ever made. Don?t forget the rules man. This little shit is the enemy. He writes what he sees.?although it would be cool to be on the cover.?