Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615006 times)

vansmack

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2014, 07:28:21 pm »
Smackie, when Trout hits actual free agency are we looking at 40 or 45 mil per season? It can't be less than 40, reasonably, can it?

That will depend on when he hits free agency.  Assuming he continues at his current pace offensively:

If the Angels announce something next week (like I think they will), he'll probably get $15m, $20m, $25m, $30m, $35m and $40m over the next 6 years (roughly equal to what he would get in arbitration, plus 3 bought out free agent years).  6 year, $165 million deal.

If the Angels do what Atomic suggests and wait until his service time is up, the Angels will pay him $15m, $25m, and probably $35m in his last arbitration season.  The Yankees will then pay him $45m-$50m in his first season and $75m in the last year of his $500 million 10 year deal.

27>34

vansmack

« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2014, 07:31:39 pm »
Actually it's apparently 8 years extension after the two he was currently signed for. Close to 300mil over h next decade. Wow.

This is correct.  I only received a text with no numbers.  8 year extension to the 2 remaining years worth $300 million for his age 30-40 years.
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2014, 07:49:33 pm »
Actually it's apparently 8 years extension after the two he was currently signed for. Close to 300mil over h next decade. Wow.

This is correct.  I only received a text with no numbers.  8 year extension to the 2 remaining years worth $300 million for his age 30-40 years.
He turns 31 in like three weeks, so really more of 31-41. But still.
LVMH

« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2014, 07:51:07 pm »
Actually think as well as he was able to hit with his knee problems the second half of last season where his basically just using his upper body to swing, his hitting is not going to completely fall off like you see some people do. I think he can be a viable 20 homerun 260 hitter at 39 or 40. But I'm hugely biased.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2014, 07:51:23 pm »
We are getting burnt bad on the back end of that probably butnim still utterly thrilled. I still argue he's the best hitter of our lifetime (so far).

Not if you can trade it to the Rangers.

And yes, he's the best hitter so far in our generation.  I still wish the Angels would have made the deal for him but they decided that Howie Kendrick, Jeff Mathis and BOTH Ervin Santana and Nick Adenhart was too much.  One or the other pitcher was fine, but not both.  The Halo's also thought Brandon Wood was untouchable - as it turned out so was any pitch you threw at him.  They might have been right had Adenhart not been killed, but Miggy turned out better than alright.

For those that forget, Detroit ate Dontrel Willis' contract and gave up Dallas Trahern, Burke Badenhop, Frankie De La Cruz, Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller and Mike Rabelo for Cabrera.
27>34

« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2014, 07:53:42 pm »
We are getting burnt bad on the back end of that probably butnim still utterly thrilled. I still argue he's the best hitter of our lifetime (so far).

Not if you can trade it to the Rangers.

And yes, he's the best hitter so far in our generation.  I still wish the Angels would have made the deal for him but they decided that Howie Kendrick, Jeff Mathis and BOTH Ervin Santana and Nick Adenhart was too much.  One or the other pitcher was fine, but not both.  The Halo's also thought Brandon Wood was untouchable - as it turned out so was any pitch you threw at him.  They might have been right had Adenhart not been killed, but Miggy turned out better than alright.

For those that forget, Detroit ate Dontrel Willis' contract and gave up Dallas Trahern, Burke Badenhop, Frankie De La Cruz, Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller and Mike Rabelo for Cabrera.
It was a fleecing no doubt. That's why I don't feel like the tigers could even let that guy get the free agency. If you were practically gifted that type of immense talent, you can't go through the emotional wall of actually letting him leave. He could be a top two or three Tiger all-time.
LVMH

« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2014, 08:09:10 pm »
Smacks, do you actually think what the Astros are doing is going to work in the long run?
LVMH

« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2014, 09:20:51 pm »
10y/292. Two more vested years at 30mil each could push it to 352.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2014, 11:23:55 pm »
Smacks, do you actually think what the Astros are doing is going to work in the long run?

Ask the Pirates.
27>34

« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2014, 11:25:11 pm »

Ask the Pirates.
so... You think it's going to make them fairly competitive but not win a title, or no...?
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2014, 12:36:41 am »
Not surprisingly,  Keith Law hates the deal as much as he hated Prince's deal,  Howard' deal in Philly and Pujols' deal in Anaheim.  Too much money at the back end for too many years.

I did laugh at this though: "even if it implies that a free-agent version of Mike Trout would be worth the GDP of a small island nation."
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2014, 12:45:27 am »
so... You think it's going to make them fairly competitive but not win a title, or no...?

It going to take 5 years to a decade,  but I think they'll win the AL West before Seattle.

The Pirates were the 4th or 5th best team in the league last year,  but 4th and 5th were distant to the top 3 (BOS,  STL,  DET) . And unlike the Dodgers,  they couldn't spring the cash to upgrade their weaknesses via free agency. Houston  is going to have the same problem.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2014, 11:42:56 am »
Hard to argue with this logic on why the Tigers should not have gone 10 years with a 31 year old:

"You could give him $35 million for three seasons [in an extension]," said one official, "and you would've saved yourself more than $100 million in risk. Hell, you could give him $45 million a year for three years, and it would've been impossible for him to turn that down -- and you save money on the back end."
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2014, 10:41:10 pm »

If the Angels announce something next week (like I think they will)

The Angels will sign the paperwork on a 6 year deal tonight and announce it tomorrow.

Edit: only $144 million.  BARGAIN
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:43:46 pm by vansmack »
27>34

atomic

« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2014, 10:53:46 pm »

If the Angels announce something next week (like I think they will)

The Angels will sign the paperwork on a 6 year deal tonight and announce it tomorrow.

Edit: only $144 million.  BARGAIN

That has to be the worst deal in the history of sports.  The Angels get 2 years of his free agency years for 140 million.  The Angels GM is the worst GM in the league by far.  He doesn't know how to not sign players to terrible deals for the team.  I wake up every day thanking him for turning the Orioles down.