Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615001 times)

hutch

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2014, 09:34:40 am »
just a dumb question:

does this mean that during the playoffs starting pitchers  are putting junk on the ball? how else can they pitch if its so hard to grip a ball in cold weather?

vansmack

« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2014, 11:54:05 pm »
Ladies and gentlemen,  your 2014 Angels.  Looks a lot like the 2013 Angels.  They haven't been over  .500 since opening day,  LAST SEASON.

A walk,  a K,  a walk,   passed ball,  a wild pitch (go ahead run scores) ,  HBP,  double play.

1 run on no hits,  no errors.  3-2 loss.
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2014, 11:31:48 am »

vansmack

« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2014, 02:17:12 am »
MLB Local TV Announcer Ratings

I always MUTE Hawk and Harrelson.  The absolute worst homers in baseball.

Though I did just give away my Kuiper bobblehead from last week, I do think the Giants have a pretty good broadcast team.

But I always listen to Vinny when I can.  Even Angels-Dodgers games. 
27>34

hutch

« Reply #169 on: April 30, 2014, 07:43:39 am »

do people call him vinny?

but yeah...always a treat....a year ago or so i read the boys of summer and he was mentioned in there..... he's really one of the last links to brooklyn...

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #170 on: April 30, 2014, 02:13:35 pm »

I actually kind of sort of like FP. Bob is truly awful. Ray Knight is a joke, and Johnny Holliday is just sad, well past his sell-by date.
(o|o)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #171 on: April 30, 2014, 02:19:52 pm »
My hatred of multiple required click-through is only surpassed by my love of Hawk being generally reviled. It's almost unlistenable.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #172 on: April 30, 2014, 03:00:31 pm »
Was he always reviled? My wife is from the south side of Chicago and she remembers of time when he was beloved, and according to her at least, was good at his (announcing) trade.

My hatred of multiple required click-through is only surpassed by my love of Hawk being generally reviled. It's almost unlistenable.

« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2014, 03:03:22 pm »
Was he always reviled? My wife is from the south side of Chicago and she remembers of time when he was beloved, and according to her at least, was good at his (announcing) trade.

I'm sure Sox fans love him. I've never met a non-Chicago person who didn't think he's the worst. He has like three trademark calls "you cannnnnn put it in the board," "he gone!," and, "Mercy!" that he uses to the point of self-parody. And is an obnoxious homer even by local-TV-guy standards.
LVMH

« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2014, 03:16:51 pm »
Also his complete lack of professionalism. He'll get upset about some minor slight and just go are you bleeping me for five minutes or he'll be sad about a homerun and literally won't talk for 90 seconds at a time. And he's the play-by-play guy. He won't even announce balls and strikes if he's in a bad mood will just going to one of these funks, it's ridiculous.

Also, on a personal note, I find any grown adult who self glosses themselves a ridiculous nickname to be just the worst. His name is Ken, but he insists on referring to himself in the third person as "The Hawk" to the point it's caught on. You're 65 years old, stop trying to give yourself a nickname; you're a loser.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2014, 05:05:08 pm »

Dodger fans in LA refer to him as "Vinny", yes.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2014, 05:07:53 pm »

Dodger fans in LA refer to him as "Vinny", yes.

ok good to know...my rehabilitation therapist's boyfriend has a vinny bobblehead on top of their tv..

hutch

« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2014, 05:09:31 pm »
I can't stand the Nats announcers.. they are so boring, predictable and just don't sound right...santangelo is an idiot....I'll take the Orioles guys any day....

Jon Miller remains my template of what an announcer should be like...where's he at by the way?

vansmack

« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2014, 08:56:44 pm »
Jon Miller remains my template of what an announcer should be like...where's he at by the way?

San Francisco, where he belongs.  I tip my hat to him as I head to my seats right in front of his booth at most games I attend.
27>34

« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2014, 11:24:32 am »
Joel Hanrahan to Detroit a year off Tommy Johns. At worst, can't be worse than what we had on pen already. Terms not announced yet.
LVMH