Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615322 times)

vansmack

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #375 on: July 31, 2014, 04:13:44 pm »
Yankees also got Martin Prado from AZ

Marlins have acquired pitcher Jarred Cosart from the Astros

Kurt Suzuki signs 2 year extension with Min with a vesting option.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:17:26 pm by vansmack »
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #376 on: July 31, 2014, 04:16:39 pm »
now rooting for a dodgers/tigers world series.

although... not getting relief help may doom both of them.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #377 on: July 31, 2014, 04:17:55 pm »
although... not getting relief help may doom both of them.
Very possible. Of course, you have to assume Porcello is moving to the pen (and Ray coming up once the rosters expand) for the playoffs since they won't need a 5th starter.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #378 on: July 31, 2014, 04:29:53 pm »
Rays also got prospect SS Willy Adames from DET

The Braves have acquired James Russell an Emilio Bonifacio from the Cubs
27>34

« Reply #379 on: July 31, 2014, 04:31:28 pm »
I can live with it.

There's no doubt in my mind Oakland paid more for Lester than Detroit did for Price and I know no one who would've taken Lester over Price.
LVMH

« Reply #380 on: July 31, 2014, 04:35:28 pm »
but I have a spreadsheet open.
I missed this at first. LOL
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #381 on: July 31, 2014, 04:43:44 pm »
Yankees designate Brian Roberts....

Mike Trout: "Put Cespedes in LF in Boston and he's going to be throwing people out at first base."
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #382 on: July 31, 2014, 04:53:37 pm »
I can live with it.

There's no doubt in my mind Oakland paid more for Lester than Detroit did for Price and I know no one who would've taken Lester over Price.

I think the crazy part here is that Oakland paid more to Smadzjia than they did for Lester or Detroit paid for Price.

You'd have to think that if Oakland and Tampa could do it over again, they'd deal Russell for Price straight up and both teams would agree in a heart beat.  And be better off.
27>34

« Reply #383 on: July 31, 2014, 04:54:12 pm »
I think the crazy part here is that Oakland paid more to Smadzjia than they did for Lester or Detroit paid for Price.
That's an excellent point.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #384 on: July 31, 2014, 04:56:33 pm »
nice pickup by Detroit....

stevewizzle

« Reply #385 on: July 31, 2014, 05:15:52 pm »
just for fun, look at Oakland's line-up and insert jonny gomes instead of yoenis cespedes.  that's not a line-up i would want to trot out for a world series.

first of all, no trades are going assure a World Series win... you can't guarantee it

but in October pitchers tend to dominate.... games tend to be low scoring..its COLD.....

yeah, and what i'm saying is OAK is all in for 2014 and has gutted their future, and even if they make it to the WS, imagine that line-up vs kershaw, grienke, beckett, and ryu.  hell, kershaw and grienke are better pitchers than anyone on the OAK staff.  even though cespedes had an atrocious OBP, he was an RBI guy that drove in runs at the 5-spot.  they'll now rely on brendan moss and donaldson to put runs on the board.  it's NOT a good line-up.

they gutted their future by trading a guy they weren't going to sign?

explain that one to me..

nobody knows if the trade will end up being good.... we will have to wait....all I know is Beane really is all in for the playoffs this year...I like it..

lets remember when Boston traded Garciaparra which seemed insane...

AND there are still 2 hours left on the clock, no? :)

responding to this late, but nobody thought trading nomar was insane.  all advanced statistics pointed to a total demise in his abilities, which turned out to be true.  that, and he wasn't getting along with the team.  it was a no-brainer trade. if anyone thought it was insane, it's because they were total fanboys and enjoyed watching nomar turn into a star from the late 90's through 2003. 

shemptiness

« Reply #386 on: July 31, 2014, 06:15:39 pm »
Miller to Orioles now, per Buster Olney.

I like it.  Starting pitching has improved dramatically lately.  And Miller is much more than just a match-up lefty.  Miller/O'Day/Britton to end games could become habit forming. 

vansmack

« Reply #387 on: July 31, 2014, 06:21:40 pm »
KLaw: "A shockingly low return for David Price"

"an outstanding move for the Tigers and a solid exchange for the Mariners."
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #388 on: July 31, 2014, 06:23:05 pm »
Nevermind.  You'd think I'd remember that O'Day was a righty since he came up with Anaheim.  I'm tired....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:34:08 pm by vansmack »
27>34

hutch

« Reply #389 on: July 31, 2014, 07:10:57 pm »
just for fun, look at Oakland's line-up and insert jonny gomes instead of yoenis cespedes.  that's not a line-up i would want to trot out for a world series.

first of all, no trades are going assure a World Series win... you can't guarantee it

but in October pitchers tend to dominate.... games tend to be low scoring..its COLD.....

yeah, and what i'm saying is OAK is all in for 2014 and has gutted their future, and even if they make it to the WS, imagine that line-up vs kershaw, grienke, beckett, and ryu.  hell, kershaw and grienke are better pitchers than anyone on the OAK staff.  even though cespedes had an atrocious OBP, he was an RBI guy that drove in runs at the 5-spot.  they'll now rely on brendan moss and donaldson to put runs on the board.  it's NOT a good line-up.

they gutted their future by trading a guy they weren't going to sign?

explain that one to me..

nobody knows if the trade will end up being good.... we will have to wait....all I know is Beane really is all in for the playoffs this year...I like it..

lets remember when Boston traded Garciaparra which seemed insane...

AND there are still 2 hours left on the clock, no? :)

responding to this late, but nobody thought trading nomar was insane.  all advanced statistics pointed to a total demise in his abilities, which turned out to be true.  that, and he wasn't getting along with the team.  it was a no-brainer trade. if anyone thought it was insane, it's because they were total fanboys and enjoyed watching nomar turn into a star from the late 90's through 2003. 

and what of it?

signed,

fanboy