Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615611 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #450 on: September 15, 2014, 12:19:03 pm »
"Ordinary effort" is not the same as "ordinary positioning" and rule 10.14(b) describes an intentional base on balls as when the catcher has his arm out so it would be ordinary positioning to be standing and have an arm out expecting the ball to be outside the strike zone.
OK, I guess that makes sense. Thanks.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #451 on: September 15, 2014, 12:36:34 pm »
OK, I guess that makes sense. Thanks.

I heard people talking about it on Baseball Tonight, but in the context of ruining the dream of speeding up the game.  One of the ideas was to eliminate the intentional base on balls and just give the batter a "free pass" because nobody ever screws that up.  Oops.

In doing my research this morning, I also learned that a batter can refuse a base on balls and be called out.  Hope to see that some day....
27>34

« Reply #452 on: September 15, 2014, 12:44:24 pm »
In doing my research this morning, I also learned that a batter can refuse a base on balls and be called out.  Hope to see that some day....
I feel like a team once was attempting to be IBB Miggy and threw a pitch too close to the plate and he hit it for an RBI-single. This is quite possibly a very realistic fever dream I somehow had as I cannot provide more details.

My dream sports "call" I want to see is a one-point safety being called against the kicking team on an XP. (Seen it twice on the defending squad.) I would also like to see a successful fair-catch kick flip the outcome of a game. Don't think ones been successfully attempted in twenty+ years.

Golf and baseball are definitely 1 and 2 for obscure rule-based ephemera, but football has some interesting ones.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:45:58 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #453 on: September 15, 2014, 02:17:26 pm »
I feel like a team once was attempting to be IBB Miggy and threw a pitch too close to the plate and he hit it for an RBI-single. This is quite possibly a very realistic fever dream I somehow had as I cannot provide more details.

Nope, you're not crazy.  I remember it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6YzVvtxoaY

There was a College walk off this year with that scenario.  I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here you go:

My dream sports "call" I want to see is a one-point safety being called against the kicking team on an XP. (Seen it twice on the defending squad.)

I remember the Oregon/K-State bowl game a couple years ago where that happened, but that's only one I can recall on defense.  I've never seen it on offense either.

I would also like to see a successful fair-catch kick flip the outcome of a game. Don't think ones been successfully attempted in twenty+ years.

The Niners were close a couple of years ago.  Dawson tried from 70+ and missed wide left to end the half.  It was awesome - the whole bar stopped to watch it.
27>34

« Reply #454 on: September 15, 2014, 02:44:48 pm »
I remember the Oregon/K-State bowl game a couple years ago where that happened, but that's only one I can recall on defense.  I've never seen it on offense either.
Texas v Texas A&M, around a decade ago.

I don't believe it has ever occurred on offense. Its theoretically possible but almost definitely could not happen. A player would have to block an XP, pick it up and run it ~95 yards and start Leon Lett'ing and be stripped of the ball shortly before the goal line. The player who caused the fumble would either (a) have to recover it in the field of play, run into the endzone on his own volition in some insane attempt to return the ball 100 yards for two-points (after just running what was presumably a sprint of close to 100 yards to catch the XP blocker to begin with) and be tackled in the endzone with the ball, or (b) the fumbled ball would have to go into the endzone on its own and be fallen on by either the stripper or another player on the kicking team. It'll never happen, but it technically could. Extra awesomeness if that single-point turned up to be that teams only point of the game resulting in the first modern-era football game to end with a team scoring a single-point.

The Niners were close a couple of years ago.  Dawson tried from 70+ and missed wide left to end the half.  It was awesome - the whole bar stopped to watch it.
I think it was the 49ers/Ravens SB two years ago where if the Ravens had squib-kicked the final kickoff, it was a legitimate possibility for a Super Bowl fair-catch kick. I was openly hoping - despite not caring who won - that John Harbaugh was unaware of the rule and did not kick deep. I maybe haven't wanted anything to happen in a sporting event not involving a team I root quite so badly. It would've been amazing. Make it or miss it, the internet would've exploded.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:46:47 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #455 on: September 16, 2014, 01:04:20 pm »
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #456 on: September 16, 2014, 01:29:18 pm »
I meant to say this....

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:33:43 pm by Shemp »

vansmack

« Reply #457 on: September 18, 2014, 03:35:21 pm »
Where did you have "I cheated on my wife"  on the list of reasons Ron Washington quitting the Rangers?
27>34

« Reply #458 on: September 18, 2014, 03:43:18 pm »
Where did you have "I cheated on my wife"  on the list of reasons Ron Washington quitting the Rangers?
I need a clarification: does cheating on his wife with a bushel sack of Columbian nose candy count as "cheating" for the purposes of this discussion?
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #459 on: September 18, 2014, 04:00:15 pm »
I would have had more $$ on him punching or head-butting her or thrashing his grandkid with a tree branch. But cheating doesn't seem too far-fetched.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 04:02:21 pm by James Ford »

hutch

« Reply #460 on: September 18, 2014, 04:05:18 pm »
I need a clarification: does cheating on his wife with a bushel sack of Columbian nose candy count as "cheating" for the purposes of this discussion?

why is it so hard for Americans to understand that its Colombia not Columbia?

ggw

« Reply #461 on: September 18, 2014, 04:08:08 pm »

Columbia, SC
Columbia, MO
Columbia University
Washington, District of Columbia
Columbia Records

« Reply #462 on: September 18, 2014, 04:09:03 pm »
I always assumed the "o" was just a localized, Hispanic thing you guys were doing to mess with us.
LVMH

shemptiness

« Reply #463 on: September 22, 2014, 11:18:28 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>