Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615099 times)

hutch

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #495 on: September 25, 2014, 10:41:11 am »
You know, I can't make an objective case for Jeter being more odious than A-Rod, but there's something about Jeter and Peyton's ability to skate on everything that drives me nuts. Jeter is a vain, womanizing, arrogant asshole who has been subpar defensively his entire career, and hasn't been any good in five years. The guy is probably riddled with venereal disease, and yet he's held up like the epitome of class.

OK i can't argue with this because its the stupidest thing I've read...

In over 2900 games Jeter never got tossed once which I would say is pretty classy..... As far as short stops who played the game he is top five in most every hitting statistic...

As far as his dating life who cares? I don't even know that much about it... but with your criteria I guess you would have also hated Babe Ruth and dozens of other great ballplayers...

I agree he's been sub par defensively for a while..but the man does have five gold gloves and definitely made some nice catches and throws...

At the end of the day I'm left to conclude you're just Jeter haters to the point you're blind to his baseball accomplishments which is sad for you..

shemptiness

« Reply #496 on: September 25, 2014, 10:51:52 am »

"Here are Alan Trammell?s and Derek Jeter?s neutralized offensive numbers.

Trammell: .289/.357/.420
Jeter: .307/.375/..439

Jeter was a better hitter. But it was closer than you might think. They had similar strengths offensively. At their best, they were .300 hitters with some power and some speed. Both lost deserving MVP awards to players who hit a lot of home runs and had a lot of RBIs. Jeter played in a historically high scoring time which inflated his numbers. Trammell played in a low-scoring time, which depressed his. So their actual numbers diverge. Plus Jeter was much more dependable which is no small thing. Jeter played in 300-plus more games. He played 140-plus games in 15 seasons. Trammell because of injuries and such managed only eight 140-game seasons.

But Trammell has his advantages too ? namely defense. Trammell was a much, much, much, much, much, much ? can?t put ?much? in here enough times ? much better defensive shortstop.

By Baseball Reference?s defensive WAR Trammell was 22 wins better than a replacement shortstop. Jeter was nine runs worse.

By Fangraphs, Trammell was 76 runs better than a replacement shortstop. Jeter was 139 runs worse."

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/15/derek-jeters-great-but-lets-compare-to-alan-trammell/

James Ford

« Reply #497 on: September 25, 2014, 11:06:10 am »
Wait. Jeter is womanizer? I thought he was gay.

K8teebug

« Reply #498 on: September 25, 2014, 11:17:13 am »
I should add I don't hate him.  I think he's a respectable player.  But, he's not the second coming.

well you're a a Yankee hater so I take what you say with some salt...

"respectable"???

come on now!  ;D

Not a Yankee hater, I just don't like them.  I DO hate A-Rod.

Jeter is one of the best defensive players we'll ever see.  And he wasn't an asshole. And he hooked up his woman prospects with great swag.  AND he was engaged to Lila Garriety...

K8teebug

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #500 on: September 25, 2014, 11:34:55 am »
Jeter is one of the best defensive players we'll ever see. 
Did you see Shemp's article above? This is an indefensible statement. Its like all people remember is that one time he went into the 3rd base seats and the staggering mathematical evidence that disagrees with one isolated incident.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #501 on: September 25, 2014, 12:29:09 pm »
  AND he was engaged to Lila Garriety...

I refer to her as Autumn.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #502 on: September 25, 2014, 12:30:36 pm »
Also, with his final scheduled start complete, Minnesota Twins RHP Phil Hughes has the best single-season strikeout-to-walk ratio IN HISTORY.

Also got totally screwed by the rain yesterday.  1/3 of an inning away from a $500k bonus.
27>34

James Ford

« Reply #503 on: September 25, 2014, 12:31:18 pm »
Not to be outdone, former Yankee infielder Wilson Delgado was recently spotted bedding a Chevy, when sources found him asleep in his Chevette outside an Arby's in Queens.
http://deadspin.com/5867626/report-derek-jeter-once-again-plowing-everything-in-sight

hutch

« Reply #504 on: September 25, 2014, 01:01:59 pm »
I don't get it.. he's a terrible guy for getting laid a lot?

He is SINGLE.

Even I have to believe the bit about him being a great defensive player was a joke

Alan Trammel was a heck of a ballplayer...loved him....

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #505 on: September 25, 2014, 01:14:41 pm »
I'm a Tigers fan and I always thought Trammell was a borderline HoF'er at best. There's people in both the Tigers fan community (and some statisticians) who argue he's a top-ten all-time SS and I just don't know what those people are on.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #506 on: September 25, 2014, 01:21:02 pm »
A single, never married  40 year old straight guy who gets laid a lot (I get older, they stay the same) is always going to be looked down on in this world.

Rightfully so.

He is SINGLE.

Even I have to believe the bit about him being a great defensive player was a joke

hutch

« Reply #507 on: September 25, 2014, 01:24:38 pm »
A single, never married  40 year old straight guy who gets laid a lot (I get older, they stay the same) is always going to be looked down on in this world.

Rightfully so.

He is SINGLE.

oh what a load of baloney.....i mean he's going to be looked down on by you and a bunch of Jeter haters but I think most people realize there is nothing wrong with sex between consenting adults....or with people not getting married (for whatever reason)....

James Ford

« Reply #508 on: September 25, 2014, 01:29:39 pm »
I don't think it has anything to do with being a Jeter hater.

I think most people would look down on a 40+ man who is still a player with the women. They would regard it as a severe lack of maturation.

hutch

« Reply #509 on: September 25, 2014, 01:50:31 pm »
I don't think it has anything to do with being a Jeter hater.

I think most people would look down on a 40+ man who is still a player with the women. They would regard it as a severe lack of maturation.

that is idiotic..if a 40 year old single man wants to have concensual sex with women I don't know what business it is of anybody's else...or why anybody would look down on it.

pretty sure the people who look down on it are the ones who married the first chick that would have sex with them..

anyways, it has zero to do with jeter as a ballplayer.... and in case you're not aware of it many ballplayers get plenty of tail