Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615251 times)

hutch

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #600 on: October 01, 2014, 09:14:42 pm »
whoa..grand slamaroo

stevewizzle

« Reply #601 on: October 01, 2014, 09:16:05 pm »
He's won 74 games or more every year he's been in charge - only the Cardinals and Yankees have accomplished that during his tenure.  That's amazing if you consider the difference in resources.

Yet he's never built a team that could succeed in the playoffs, and this year he tried something completely new by trading one of his chips before the offseason and that failed miserably. 

I'm not sure what he does next - probably trades Donaldson and maybe Smardjzia and rebuilds something - I never know.  Or maybe he just steps down out of frustration. 

is there any big market teams shopping for a GM?

shemptiness

« Reply #602 on: October 01, 2014, 10:00:23 pm »
NO MORE FREE BASEBALL!!!!  SUCK IT BILLY BEANE!!!!

With the loss, the A's fall to 1?12 in series-clinching games during the Billy Beane era

i almost felt bad after posting that.  i've been actively rooting against oakland this year for really no specific reason besides the lovefest for billy beane that continues to pour out.  the reality is, what billy beane has done for baseball is a far greater accomplishment then anything else in the past decade or so.  now that they are out, my feelings are all too bi-polar.

Agreed.  My hatred for the teams that throw money at everything far exceeds the notoriety he has achieved.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:03:44 pm by Shemp »

hutch

« Reply #603 on: October 01, 2014, 10:02:47 pm »
so lets cut to my chase..

who pitches for the giants and nats on Saturday (game 2)?

shemptiness

« Reply #604 on: October 01, 2014, 10:04:57 pm »
It ain't over 'til it's over.  Unless it's over.   

hutch

« Reply #605 on: October 01, 2014, 10:07:43 pm »
well... I'm still watching...but i think they aint' coming back....

in a way one could argue the pirates would have been a more favorable matchup.... giants having won two world series recently and all....

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #606 on: October 01, 2014, 10:19:05 pm »

in a way one could argue the pirates would have been a more favorable matchup.... giants having won two world series recently and all....
Pirates pitching rotation would've been much better set up and they were hotter going into the playoffs. I thought Nats fans wanted the Giants?
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #607 on: October 01, 2014, 10:20:50 pm »

Pirates pitching rotation would've been much better set up and they were hotter going into the playoffs. I thought Nats fans wanted the Giants?

I think they did..... I agree Pirates were hotter coming in...

there is something to be said for playoff experience though...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #608 on: October 01, 2014, 10:22:03 pm »

I think they did..... I agree Pirates were hotter coming in...

there is something to be said for playoff experience though...
i'll concede that.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #609 on: October 01, 2014, 10:30:08 pm »
fat lady singing..

gotta say the Pirates fans are a real glum bunch...

shemptiness

« Reply #610 on: October 01, 2014, 10:32:23 pm »
O's nooner then.

hutch

« Reply #611 on: October 01, 2014, 10:38:18 pm »
Confirmed: there will not be a 1979 World Series rematch...

sorry Orioles fans.. you will not get to avenge that painful loss.....

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #612 on: October 01, 2014, 11:34:20 pm »
rough game. tough to see the bucs go out like that but they never had a chance tonight. bumgarner was as good as it gets.

nice to see the pittsburgh fans give russell martin an ovation after his last at bat. im not optimistic but i hope they resign him

i was definitely pulling for the pirates but i think the giants are actually better result for the nats. they didnt close the season nearly as well as the pirates and theyve got some big injuries. all that playoff experience is a big deal though, so who knows. should be a tight series. wouldnt surprise me if it goes 5.

they said peavy/hudson/bumgarner/petit for the giants rotation. nothing official but that seems about right for days of rest. hudsons been tricky for the nats over the years so itll be interesting to see who williams counters with

vansmack

« Reply #613 on: October 02, 2014, 01:37:07 am »

Holy shit, Hurdle's going to do it.  This is a a huge mistake. 

Seems like the middle ground was the right option - save Cole for the Wild Card game. 

This game was lost days ago.
27>34

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #614 on: October 02, 2014, 06:23:07 am »
youre the only person ive seen object to the pirates playing for the division on sunday

bumgarner was so good it wouldnt even have mattered who the pirates threw.

in fact id say bumgarner was so good hhe justified pittsburgh not wanting to settle for the wild card.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:27:18 am by gaaaaaaaaah »