Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615488 times)

hutch

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #945 on: December 03, 2014, 08:04:38 pm »
HORRIBLE>>>WHAAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!@ MARKAKIS IS THE ORIOLES!

what are they doing? is this like hey we did ok last year lets tank?

i am disgusted

shemptiness

« Reply #946 on: December 03, 2014, 08:14:11 pm »
Solid veteran player.  Fine career.  But he had become basically an overpaid singles hitter.  Plus defender -  sure.  Fan favorite - sure.  I dunno.  Maybe I'm rationalizing to try to move on and not be emotionally attached to a player.

I think Duquette offered around $34M for 4 yrs in October.  Nick balked.  DD then started to question 4 years.  The Braves posted with a better offer.  Then bingo.  Nick goes home. 

I know Adam Jones isn't happy, according to his tweets.  I'm sure Angelos isn't either.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:23:59 pm by Shemp »

vansmack

« Reply #947 on: December 03, 2014, 08:44:24 pm »
I suspect this means that the O's are looking to deal for Kemp or one of the Upton brothers.

Not being a fan of the O's, I think the Braves went too long on a deal, which is what I suspect was the stopping point in Baltimore's negotiations.  Normally I don't pay for nonmeasurable baseball contributions to the team, but the worst offender of that principle just won their 3rd World Series in 5 years so what do I know.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #948 on: December 03, 2014, 08:47:16 pm »
MARKAKIS IS THE ORIOLES!

I know Adam Jones isn't happy, according to his tweets.  I'm sure Angelos isn't either.

These two contradictions made me laugh.  It's time for AJ to be the O's.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #949 on: December 03, 2014, 09:05:50 pm »
I am very disturbed but will hold myself until I hear from my trusty O's source Keete8bug...she'll know the scoop...

we know Smackie thinks every player going forward in the history of baseball is overpaid..that ain't news...that's a crusty loaf of bread.

shemptiness

« Reply #950 on: December 03, 2014, 09:20:03 pm »
MARKAKIS IS THE ORIOLES!

These two contradictions made me laugh.  It's time for AJ to be the O's.

They were partners in arms.

From Roch:

Markakis, who couldn't be reached for comment, wanted to stay with the Orioles and is upset that it didn't happen. They negotiated down to a three-year deal while seeking assurances that his health would be fine.
Markakis underwent a couple of examinations and waited for the Orioles to increase their offer. A guaranteed fourth year apparently came off the table.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 09:23:25 pm by Shemp »

hutch

« Reply #951 on: December 03, 2014, 09:33:59 pm »
Exactly:

Orioles fuck over their cornerstone player.

Shameful

shemptiness

« Reply #952 on: December 03, 2014, 09:50:39 pm »
Exactly:

Shameful

They offered what they thought was fair.  Almost $10M per after he had made $17M per for the last few years.  I'm not sure how that is fucking him over.  He got a better deal and took it.

hutch

« Reply #953 on: December 03, 2014, 10:03:27 pm »
Exactly:

Shameful

They offered what they thought was fair.  Almost $10M per after he had made $17M per for the last few years.  I'm not sure how that is fucking him over.  He got a better deal and took it.

you don't ask the team leader to take a hometown discount...that ain't right.

vansmack

« Reply #954 on: December 03, 2014, 10:07:32 pm »

*Cough* Jered Weaver *Cough*
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #955 on: December 03, 2014, 10:10:00 pm »
we know Smackie thinks every player going forward in the history of baseball is overpaid..

It's not about the amount - the vast majority of the problems I have with contracts are the duration.

Nelson Cruz? Fine next year, probably only slightly overpaid the year after that.  An Albatross in year three, and he's released in year four.

Markakis?  I'll still be here in four years to remind everyone when he's no longer in baseball.  He's a glorified singles hitter....
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #956 on: December 03, 2014, 10:10:33 pm »
He got a better deal and took it.

Yep.

They were partners in arms.

So he lost his best friend.  Boo hoo.  This isn't friends-business.  It's just business.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:12:38 pm by vansmack »
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #957 on: December 04, 2014, 01:09:22 am »

*Cough* Jered Weaver *Cough*

baltimore != southern california
orioles organization != angels organization

shemptiness

« Reply #958 on: December 04, 2014, 08:08:14 am »
Rosenthal:

In March 2013, Markakis, 31, was diagnosed with a small disk herniation in his neck. And even though he appeared in 160 and 155 games the past two seasons, his condition and diminished power gave the Orioles pause, according to major-league sources.

Roch:

The Braves checked the results of Markakis' recent medical examinations, including an MRI, and had no qualms about offering him a fourth year. The Orioles wanted more information on the small disc herniation in his neck and assurances that it wouldn't become a more serious issue that might require surgery.

And the offers were reportedly only $4M apart.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:15:17 am by Shemp »

hutch

« Reply #959 on: December 04, 2014, 08:12:19 am »
Rosenthal:

In March 2013, Markakis, 31, was diagnosed with a small disk herniation in his neck. And even though he appeared in 160 and 155 games the past two seasons, his condition and diminished power gave the Orioles pause, according to major-league sources.

ah he's getting the Red Sox treatment on the way out of town....