Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 615316 times)

hutch

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #1170 on: April 14, 2015, 02:08:59 pm »
last night though was pretty ridiculous....

MLB.TV is not the same as the MLB Network.

yup

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #1171 on: April 14, 2015, 02:40:31 pm »
what are the chances of mlb.tv doing away with its blackout restrictions eventually?

id love to subscribe, and id easily get my moneys worth, but if i cant watch nats game its ultimately pointless for me. shame, cuz i played around with it on the last day of the season last year and loved it. id watch more than just the nats but im not gonna throw down $130 just to have to get my nats fix elsewhere

i know this gets into rights issues that are way over my head, just curious if theres ever been talk of easing blackout restrictions

on a related note, id been using this tunein radio app on my phone to stream day games at work the last few seasons with no problems, but every game ive tried to listen to this year, save for opening day, hasnt been available. most of them i cant hear at all (im mainly trying dc's espn station, but ive tried opposing teams radio networks too, with no success), but one of them cut off after a few innings and never came back. any idea what the deal is there?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1172 on: April 14, 2015, 02:56:53 pm »
what are the chances of mlb.tv doing away with its blackout restrictions eventually?
Virtually nil. MLB's bread is buttered by its massive TV deals with local broadcast partners, not what it gets from those of us who buy MLB.tv. Removing blackout restrictions quite literally lowers ratings and therefore what its TV deals are worth.

That said, you should be able to run mlb.tv through a proxy server to spoof being in another part of the country.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:59:25 pm by Julian, Verified SHITLORD »
LVMH

stevewizzle

« Reply #1173 on: April 14, 2015, 03:39:43 pm »
Virtually nil. MLB's bread is buttered by its massive TV deals with local broadcast partners, not what it gets from those of us who buy MLB.tv. Removing blackout restrictions quite literally lowers ratings and therefore what its TV deals are worth.

That said, you should be able to run mlb.tv through a proxy server to spoof being in another part of the country.

mlb.tv was 9% revenue last year (according to vansmacks fancy economist article) and most definitely growing as everyone who lives in the 21st century continues to convert over to streaming services. 

i wouldn't say virtually nil, i could see a situation where you pay extra to avoid blackout dates.

it's a big problem for me when it comes to playoffs.  had to resort to other streams to get the games.

and workarounds (running through proxys) are pretty simple.  i'll probably wait until midseason discount to buy mlb.tv this year, unless a friend decides they want to split it with me.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:42:11 pm by Carlos Spicyweiner »

vansmack

« Reply #1174 on: April 14, 2015, 06:29:53 pm »
mlb.tv was 9% revenue last year

i wouldn't say virtually nil, i could see a situation where you pay extra to avoid blackout dates.

Just a quick clarification - MLBAM, not MLB.TV was 9% of MLB's central office revenue.  That includes all the money they make from streaming ESPN, HBO, PlayStation, WWE, etc. among a handful of others that they handle streaming for.  This means it's becoming a larger chunk of revenue MLB negotiates, but it's not even close to eclipsing the national broadcast revenue (Fox Saturday, ESPN Mon/Wed night baseball, and the playoffs.

The local TV revenue is negotiated and kept by the team (save for MLB's revenue sharing plan, which I don't need to explain here).  That combined is far larger than the MLB National Broadcast dollars.  There is no way local broadcasters are going to give up those rights for streaming.  You may see the National Broadcasts come to MLB.TV someday and maybe those blackouts removed as MLB controls that (though Fox will want to have a say), but the local blackout of of your home team is here to stay for the duration of at least your local TV deal, so don't hold your breath.
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #1175 on: April 15, 2015, 01:42:15 am »
mlb.tv was 9% revenue last year

Just a quick clarification - MLBAM, not MLB.TV was 9% of MLB's central office revenue.  That includes all the money they make from streaming ESPN, HBO, PlayStation, WWE, etc. among a handful of others that they handle streaming for.  This means it's becoming a larger chunk of revenue MLB negotiates, but it's not even close to eclipsing the national broadcast revenue (Fox Saturday, ESPN Mon/Wed night baseball, and the playoffs.

The local TV revenue is negotiated and kept by the team (save for MLB's revenue sharing plan, which I don't need to explain here).  That combined is far larger than the MLB National Broadcast dollars.  There is no way local broadcasters are going to give up those rights for streaming.  You may see the National Broadcasts come to MLB.TV someday and maybe those blackouts removed as MLB controls that (though Fox will want to have a say), but the local blackout of of your home team is here to stay for the duration of at least your local TV deal, so don't hold your breath.

ah, that makes more sense.

« Reply #1176 on: April 16, 2015, 09:25:30 am »
My thoughts that the Tigers were going to be extremely mediocre may have been misguided. If Greene continues to look this good and Simon this competent to shore up the rotation, and you add that lineup (that can actually run and play defense for once) . . . look out.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #1177 on: April 16, 2015, 11:53:36 am »
You can't earn a playoff spot in April, you can only lose one.
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #1178 on: April 16, 2015, 12:07:52 pm »
My thoughts that the Tigers were going to be extremely mediocre may have been misguided. If Greene continues to look this good and Simon this competent to shore up the rotation, and you add that lineup (that can actually run and play defense for once) . . . look out.

do i want to pick up greene in my fantasy league or is he gonna give up 12 runs next start?

« Reply #1179 on: April 16, 2015, 12:15:49 pm »
do i want to pick up greene in my fantasy league or is he gonna give up 12 runs next start?
I have no idea about any of that fantasy junk. I don't think he's going to throw shutouts every start, obviously. He has impressed so far this season.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #1180 on: April 16, 2015, 12:44:11 pm »
I have no idea about any of that fantasy junk. I don't think he's going to throw shutouts every start, obviously. He has impressed so far this season.

That does not sound like my glowing Garrett Richards endorsement from last season, which, frankly, I don't think I received enough credit for.
27>34

« Reply #1181 on: April 16, 2015, 01:02:10 pm »
Careful, you might sprain your shoulder reaching around to pat yourself on the back there, Smackie.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #1182 on: April 16, 2015, 05:45:02 pm »
Careful, you might sprain your shoulder reaching around to pat yourself on the back there, Smackie.

That's why I always use my right arm to pat myself on the back. I never use my pitching arm.

God, I can't keep giving you these free lessons so quit screwin' around and help me up.
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #1183 on: April 16, 2015, 10:50:05 pm »

That does not sound like my glowing Garrett Richards endorsement from last season, which, frankly, I don't think I received enough credit for.

i was going to send a surprise edible arrangement on our one year anniversary but with that attitude i  don't think you deserve it.

« Reply #1184 on: April 17, 2015, 09:05:25 am »
i was going to send a surprise edible arrangement on our one year anniversary but with that attitude i  don't think you deserve it.
Can we please do a TAN thread about how Edible Arrangements is the stupidest, most backhandedly eff you gift ever? NO ONE EATS THE DAMN THING and it gets thrown away after two weeks completely untouched. Total waste of money. Will someone indulge me in this conversation?
LVMH