Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 614983 times)

vansmack

Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #2220 on: February 05, 2020, 01:01:15 pm »
Those trades just blew my mind yesterday.

I was already in awe of how little the Red Sox got in the deal, saw the Minnesota portion of it and was even more intrigued, then just gave up when I saw the Angels turn a glut of IF into a glut of OF when what they really need is someone who can pitch!

Dodgers get:  Mookie Betts (FA after 2020) and David Price (signed through 2022) from Boston, IF/OF Luis Rengifo (under control through 2025) from Anaheim.  They will also receive cash from Boston to cover part of Price's salary (probably between $17-18m per season)

Twins get: Kenta Maeda (signed through 2023) from Dodgers

Red Sox get: OF Alex Verdugo (under control through 2025) from Dodgers and Relief pitcher Brusdar Graterol from Twins

Angels get: OF Joc Pederson (Free agent after 2020)

Thank goodness Boston made such a bad deal simply to cut costs (shocking from a big market team) yet didn't address their biggest problem (starting pitching), otherwise the Angels giving up 4 years of control of someone who will be an MLB starting 2B someday for one year of a guy who can't hit lefties (at all) would be talked about more than it is.  The Dodgers are the clear winners here in not giving up one of their top prospects, improved two positions greatly while adding a utility player with upside and stayed under the salary cap.

EDIT: I'm being told Dodgers are adding RHP Ross Stripling to the trade with Anaheim.  That makes MUCH more sense.  There will also be more prospect swapped, apparently.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 01:10:47 pm by vansmack »
27>34

shemptiness

Space Freely

« Reply #2222 on: February 08, 2020, 12:36:20 pm »
Astros sign-stealing reportedly started with 2016 front office scheme

My wife thinks that if a team is this innovative and creative they shouldn't be penalized. I'm not so sure.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2223 on: February 08, 2020, 12:40:17 pm »

My wife thinks that if a team is this innovative and creative they shouldn't be penalized. I'm not so sure.
Its not innovative or creative though. The Astros did not invent the idea of using a camera to steal signs.   Everyone has thought of it. Everyone has thought of it to such an extent that is specifically, expressly forbidden in the rule books. (And teams in other sports had done it before.)

Calling this innovative and creative — which shouldn’t be penalized, I agree — is like calling your cousin who robbed that house a “thought-leader” because none of your other cousins stole anything.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 12:42:13 pm by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #2224 on: February 08, 2020, 02:21:20 pm »

Its not innovative or creative though. The Astros did not invent the idea of using a camera to steal signs.   Everyone has thought of it. Everyone has thought of it to such an extent that is specifically, expressly forbidden in the rule books. (And teams in other sports had done it before.)

Calling this innovative and creative — which shouldn’t be penalized, I agree — is like calling your cousin who robbed that house a “thought-leader” because none of your other cousins stole anything.

I have no cousins on one side of the family.

On the other, my dad died long ago and we lost touch with his side of the family. I did find one cousin on Facebook. Married, gay, a janitor and big Trump supporter. Not a "thought-leader." Like my own daughter, i basically have no cousins.

Sorry, tangent. Looking forward to baseball season! I think I'm going to the Phillies stadium this year. My 12th MLB stadium, including the two in DC.

hutch

« Reply #2225 on: February 08, 2020, 02:49:31 pm »
I have gone to

Wrigley
Dodger Stadium
Candlestick
Camden Yards
Nats Park
RFK
Whatever Marlins played at in 2000

I know some people love ballparks

vansmack

« Reply #2226 on: February 08, 2020, 03:17:00 pm »
I have NOT been to some of the newer parks:

Tropicana Field (Tampa)
Truist Park (ATL - 2017)
Target Field (Minn - 2010)
Marlins Park (Miami - 2012)
Globe Life (Arlington - 2020)
Citi Field (NYM - 2009)

That's it.  I've been to the rest, and the predecessors of each of these parks.  Not sure why I haven't been to the Trop...
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #2227 on: February 08, 2020, 03:41:22 pm »
Actually 13 for me, Philly will be #14

New and old Yankees Stadium
Old San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
Arizona
Colorado
White Sox
Wrigley
Rays (you're not missing much)
RFK and Nats Park
Camden

I'll be in LA when the Angels (but not the Dodgers) are at home in June, but won't use vacation time for a trek all the way to anaheim.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2228 on: February 08, 2020, 03:41:32 pm »
Because it would involve being in the hellhole that is Tampa Bay/St Petersburg.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #2229 on: February 08, 2020, 03:49:21 pm »
Because it would involve being in the hellhole that is Tampa Bay/St Petersburg.

I wouldn't choose to live there, but I actually enjoyed that area for a low-budget vacation. Good (not amazing, but good) beaches with warm water, excellent breweries, an excellent Dali Museum, the Florida Aquarium (good for kids). We enjoyed it more than South Beach.

We also did some cool kayaking where i got sunburnt as fuck, but i try to forget that part.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2230 on: February 08, 2020, 11:26:23 pm »

Oh is she a Trump supporter too?

Space Freely

« Reply #2231 on: February 09, 2020, 09:58:32 am »

Oh is she a Trump supporter too?

No, she's a Bernie bro.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2232 on: February 09, 2020, 10:11:34 am »
Citi & Shea
Yankee
RFK
Nats
Candlestick
Camden & Memorial

Would really like to go to Fenway, and request a song from Josh Kantor the indierock allstar organist.

vansmack

« Reply #2233 on: February 09, 2020, 08:05:02 pm »
New Dodgers - Red Sox trade.....

Dodgers get  Betts and Price, plus half Price's salary from Boston.

Boston gets Verdugo and top prospect Jeter Downs.

Dodgers send Maeda and $10m to Towns for Graterol.

No word on the Angela  -Dodgers deal, but likely to go through.

Much better deal for Boston, but I hope Downs is a bust and Graterol is a stud. And I don't like the Dodgers at all.
27>34

hutch