Author Topic: I don't know who Crookers is but they sure look like retards.  (Read 10266 times)

azaghal1981

احمد

hutch

Re: I don't know who Crookers is but they sure look like retards.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 02:04:23 pm »
I have a degree in Psychology we used the term in our diagnostic manual.
You should get a newer diagnostic manual. The DSM V has stricken "mental retardation" from axis I and II diagnoses in favor of "intellectual disability disorder." (I believe the same was already done on the latest DSM IV TR, but do not have a copy handy to confirm.) This is in response to a federal mandate called Rosa's Law.

In psychology and human services, the title QMRP has been replaced with QIDP.

this was good to read...

ggw

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 02:41:49 pm »
I was referring to the fact that they look like the type of  vacant looking stoner/jocks (who are now in their 40's and probably working at a fast food restaurant) I went to high school with who called me "faggot" because I had a Billy Idol haircut.

As opposed to those dudes (now in their 40s and probably working for the government) who still harbor resentment about being called a name in high school thirty years ago?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 02:42:23 pm »
james and his life and how he sees the world . . . is so obviously controlled by who or what did things to him while he was in high school.

Yada

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 02:47:36 pm »
James Ford, edgier than Brian Wallace.

atomic

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 02:59:46 pm »
I have a degree in Psychology we used the term in our diagnostic manual.
You should get a newer diagnostic manual. The DSM V has stricken "mental retardation" from axis I and II diagnoses in favor of "intellectual disability disorder." (I believe the same was already done on the latest DSM IV TR, but do not have a copy handy to confirm.) This is in response to a federal mandate called Rosa's Law.

In psychology and human services, the title QMRP has been replaced with QIDP.

I think we had DSM IV when I was in college.   But it has been a long time.  So terms like "Moron", "Idiot" and "Imbecile" aren't used to identify levels of retardation anymore?  It is strange that terms that were used to classify people scientifically get changed.  I guess once a stigma gets put on a word they need to change them for some reason. 

When I was fostering children we had one kid (11 year old) who was classified as retarded as his IQ was calculated at 75.   After he was with a year his IQ jumped to 110 and he was not only no longer retarded his IQ was above average.  You would think that IQ should be a steady thing and not change that dramatically in one year.  They also had labeled him with Aspergers at one point which I don't believe even exists.   

Anyway not trying to offend anyone.  The constant name changing stuff is of interest to me.   "intellectual disability disorder." I guess is fine. It is better than something like "African American" that makes no sense to me.  Or "little person" which if I were one I would find offensive.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 03:03:33 pm »
I think we had DSM IV when I was in college.   But it has been a long time.  So terms like "Moron", "Idiot" and "Imbecile" aren't used to identify levels of retardation anymore? 
Nope. We've also stopped referring to people as "Mongoloids." Wild and wacky times.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 03:04:21 pm »
My apologies to any of you who have Down's Syndrome, or who have relatives or spouses who have Down's Syndrome.

Anyway, I wasn't referring to them looking like they have Down's Syndrome, because they clearly don't. I was referring to the fact that they look like the type of  vacant looking stoner/jocks (who are now in their 40's and probably working at a fast food restaurant) I went to high school with who called me "faggot" because I had a Billy Idol haircut.

I got called worse for having a Robert Smith hair-cut but I didn't care as I was the one banging all the chicks. 

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 03:05:08 pm »
They also had labeled him with Aspergers at one point which I don't believe even exists.   
It got removed in DSM V, or more specifically, it's just a severity on the autism spectrum now instead of a listed, seperate diagnosis.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 03:07:06 pm »
I think we had DSM IV when I was in college.   But it has been a long time.  So terms like "Moron", "Idiot" and "Imbecile" aren't used to identify levels of retardation anymore? 
Nope. We've also stopped referring to people as "Mongoloids." Wild and wacky times.

At one point I was thinking about getting a Masters in Child Psychology so I could be a guidance counselor as I thought their couldn't be a job much easier than that (Which is probably only true for a few public schools like the one I attended where nothing interesting happend) Now I think I would be lost as they changed the names on everything.  

atomic

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 03:08:20 pm »
They also had labeled him with Aspergers at one point which I don't believe even exists.   
It got removed in DSM V, or more specifically, it's just a severity on the autism spectrum now instead of a listed, seperate diagnosis.

They so many more kids have Autism these days than back 30 years ago and they don't know why. I think the reason is they are labeling people as having Autism that would have never received that label 30 years ago.  Just like everyone has AHDD these days.  No one had that when I was in school.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 03:11:48 pm »
what does atomic do, i wonder . . . he once claimed to have an intern.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 03:12:06 pm »
what does anybody do?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 03:12:19 pm »
what do i do?

atomic

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 03:15:28 pm »
what does atomic do, i wonder . . . he once claimed to have an intern.

I am not in a psychological field at all.  I won't say what I do but I do have a paid Intern. I think he makes 20 bucks an hour but he doesn't get benefits.