Author Topic: META: Can we have a serious discussion about shutting down Just Announced?  (Read 31193 times)

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
Re: META: Can we have a serious discussion about shutting down Just Announced?
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2014, 05:19:05 pm »
The only person I ever really see talking about Twitter is you. I can't wait for you to go away. If I'm being honest.

Which I am.

I would trust your opinion except all you seem to care about is sports and some sports team that you have no affiliation to winning a championship which they never seem to do.  If your local sports team winning championships is so important to you then you should move to Boston.  Here is the clue:  Spectator sports are purely entertainment and who wins or loses should not affect you one bit.
Why do you care so much about what I care about. Do you care about me and what I care about. That's awful nice of you, Tom Tom.

Isn't Tom Tom a GPS?  No, I don't really care that much about you but you do seem to be to sports what RatBastard is to politics. 

That's not fair. He seems to at least know about sports.

Bazinga
FUKIT

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2014, 10:42:19 am »
So, I think we're pretty much in agreement we're killing Just Announced, yes?
LVMH

« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2014, 10:43:41 am »
we are in agreement that you are desperately trying to keep this alive....
slack

atomic

« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2014, 10:44:33 am »

I do like your effort to liven up the board.  This place has been pretty dead.  I dont' think your effort will work but appreciate it.

« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2014, 10:46:42 am »

I do like your effort to liven up the board.  This place has been pretty dead.  I dont' think your effort will work but appreciate it.
This is sort of how I feel about Rhett. You know how in politics we talk about people being "job creators?" Well, whatever one thinks of Rhett or myself, there's no denying we're content creators. Other people post show listings and make minimal contributions and we are out there, every day, creating threads and getting people talking. We are selflessly keeping this community alive. We are the people paying the proverbial 40+% tax rate.
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2014, 12:15:49 pm »
atomic this, atomic that. 

atomic

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2014, 12:12:42 am »

bump. 

Since ShowListDC is doing such an awesome job at filling this space, lets review this conversation again, yes?
LVMH

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
Since ShowListDC is doing such an awesome job at filling this space, lets review this conversation again, yes?

ShowlistDC relies on the JA thread for a lot of the small/DIY concert announcement and notices.  I don't think any of the shows at Verizon Center / DAR / 9:30 slip beneath anyone's radar (especially people on this forum), but is there value to making mention of it here?  For sure.

I'm a big fan of the JA thread-- it helps me do my job. I'd probably be able to find most of that information elsewhere, but it's great having it in a centralized spot like this one.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

Yeah, we're not doing this.  Maybe somebody with more computer skills than I can create a script for you so that you never have to see that thread ever.  Then again, if you're getting your announcements from SLDC, you should be happy that JA exists.

ShowlistDC relies on the JA thread for a lot of the small/DIY concert announcement and notices.  I don't think any of the shows at Verizon Center / DAR / 9:30 slip beneath anyone's radar (especially people on this forum), but is there value to making mention of it here?  For sure.

I'm a big fan of the JA thread-- it helps me do my job. I'd probably be able to find most of that information elsewhere, but it's great having it in a centralized spot like this one.
I appreciate the kind words, but I don't see how Julian's America really has anything to do with your fine work. Whatever inspires you, though.
LVMH

Bags

This:

And its basically, at this point, 4 or 5 people posting a bunch of show announcements for concerts no one would even consider seeing.

This thing is such a drain on our community, its time someone said it. What a wildly, wildly disproportionate amount of posts are spent in a thread that in no way fosters discussion or interaction among our community and, in fact, requires ancillary Commentary threads to ensure people don't have meaningful posts back and forth with each other. And its basically, at this point, 4 or 5 people posting a bunch of show announcements for concerts no one would even consider seeing. These people could be posting in higher-value threads and having discussions -- and making memories -- instead of racking up astronomical post counts on nothing.

I ask you all sincerely, when was the last HoF-caliber moment in Just Announced? The last fight? The last day-long bull session? Never. Why are we still floating this thing?

Actually it helped me to find the Gene Clark Tribute show and the Arcade Fire show.  Really, the just announced thread is the reason I come to the forum.  Posting in other forums is just a way to kill time before the next just announced post occurs.
Ditto -- I rarely post anymore as I'm just too busy, and the rock scene/local scene is less of my life these days (just in time for Friends with Benefits -- back in the day I might own a booth downstairs after a year or two), but I check Just Announced once or twice a week to be sure I'm not missing anythng, and to know what presales to look out for.  Personally I wouldn't mind if that thread were ONLY show announcements without the commentary.  But I can forage through the chit chat and find the info I desire.  Keep it up, folks!

Hexenjagd

I appreciate the kind words, but I don't see how Julian's America really has anything to do with your fine work. Whatever inspires you, though.
What does "Julian's America" have to do with anything?

Plenty of people appreciate what Showlist does; but I doubt anyone other than yourself cares about whatever "Julian's America" is. 

Whatever inspires you to keep on keeping on.

What does "Julian's America" have to do with anything?
I have no idea, he's the one who brought it up.
LVMH

Hexenjagd

I don't see anyone talking about anything called Julian's America.   

And showlist is not a "he".