Author Topic: Say Hello To having to pay to park near the 9:30 club  (Read 15154 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Say Hello To having to pay to park near the 9:30 club
« on: January 08, 2014, 07:30:34 pm »
heard about via twitter

Well street parking was gonna get tough with the new building next to the club and now it's gonna be impossible to find

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/going-out-guide/wp/2014/01/08/landmark-announces-movie-theater-near-u-street/

A six-screen movie theater will open in JBG's mixed-use development at the former Atlantic Plumbing building near the 9:30 Club, at 8th and V Streets NW, in 2015.

T.Rex

StoneTheCrow

Re: Say Hello To having to pay to park near the 9:30 club
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 07:56:12 pm »
Knew this day was coming. Bummer for sure.

hutch

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 09:04:08 pm »
That day is largely already here...tons of the parking spots near the club are now metered..

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:37:22 pm »
Well the meters on V street near the restaurant expire at 6:30pm, almost learned that one the hard  way had I not seen the guy on the segway passing out tickets when i got there early for the Trombone Shorty show.  The parking along the street where the plumbing company used to was pretty much meter free, but all the parking on one side of that street is now gone due to construction. 

I don't mind paying for parking as long as it's reasonable, but reasonable and parking in DC rarely go hand in hand.
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:05:05 pm »
well what are you going to do.... before you could find parking everywhere but your car might not be there when you got back (or you'd have a broken window).... now there is no parking but your car is in great shape as it drives around the block looking for parking.. ;D

i think if you know the lay of the land you still should be ok except fridays and saturdays which are already a big pain....most people going to this movie theater are going to take metro or walk..

the whole area around U Street has become a big clusterfuck.. i'm just not into that scene at all...its like a competition to get ripped off or something.....

I wouldn't completely rule out the 930 moving .. or the Black Cat for that matter.... at some point its hard to compete with the offer a developer will make in order to turn to the land into 10 floors of condos..... although I guess there is precedent.. I mean look at Irving Plaza in Gramercy Park, NYC!

For me a rock club should be in a dump of an area.... think Electric Factory in Philly..

ducks....

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 10:49:44 pm »
Parking...my least favorite feature of seeing shows.   :-\
slack

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 10:56:22 pm »
Parking...my least favorite feature of seeing shows.   :-\
Mine is the standing waiting for bands because I suffer from leg pain and feel bad using my handicap license to get into preferred seating because other people have it worse.
LVMH

Unsanity

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 01:46:39 am »
Oh crap. I always park in that area. It was always kinda shady but never had my car broken into. This sucks.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 08:38:46 am »
we're not going anywhere

we also sell parking online with tickets

hutch

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 09:59:40 am »
I always get an extra buzz when Seth responds to something I write (even if it is usually to tell me I'm wrong!)

;D

I still say its hard to predict where the 930 Club will be in a decade or two..

azaghal1981

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 10:03:36 am »
I am more worried about the Black Cat than 930.
Would be shocked if 930 goes anywhere anytime soon.
احمد

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 10:25:44 am »
I rarely park near the club anyway, this is a bummer though. At least there will be a movie theatre!
‼‼?‼‼

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 10:31:33 am »
I learned about the parking changes near the Black Cat the hard way.  Was running late one night and found a spot on a street I had always parkled on.  Didn't notcie the new signs.  $40.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 11:06:30 am »
we're not going anywhere

we also sell parking online with tickets

i don't think anyone was implying that the 930 is going anywhere.

yes, you sell parking... but the point of all this is that were will be less free street parking once theater-goers start invading the neighborhood.  the 930's lot is going to sell out that much faster and folks are going to need to park a mile away.  once upon a time the $12 parking charge was optional, soon we'll need to tack on $10-12 for parking every time we want to go to a show.  this might not be good news for you, seth - the parking lot sell-outs might not make up for the people who will be turned off by needing to pay for something they previously got free.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 11:21:54 am »
i buy a parking pass everytime i buy a ticket.  i park in the nine thirty lot every time.  safe, cheaper than most garages and super close and money goes into seth pockets, so he can have something to play with instead of his manly cock.  end of thread.