Author Topic: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion  (Read 612000 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion
« Reply #1020 on: August 19, 2016, 10:27:08 am »
I know the world is already tired of talking about stranger things, but I am half way through it, and I can't help to be distracted by how it does remind me of other movies and stories and ideas.  I'm hate that, especially when the material at hand, is so good.  I have a funny feeling, I will not like the monster once fully shown and the ending . . . because I have become, so entertainment jaded.

I absolutely loved it all. I think you will like it.

Eggos forever.
I loved most of it but I thought it sent some really mixed messages about food and diet. The fat toothless kid was shown as snacking 24/7 which is a really responsible message for the show to lay out a clear connection between calories in and childhood obesity.

But then Eleven is shown as basically eating Eggos (and presumably syrup) around the clock with no apparent change to her physique. Not only is she the "love interest" but she's depicted as having superpowers, which is just really irresponsible, in my opinion. While I don't think its intentional, the show really promotes the idea that people just are the size they are and diet has nothing to do with it. And for this to be promoted in a show designed for children is really just gross and immoral.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1021 on: August 19, 2016, 02:46:24 pm »
I know the world is already tired of talking about stranger things, but I am half way through it, and I can't help to be distracted by how it does remind me of other movies and stories and ideas.  I'm hate that, especially when the material at hand, is so good.  I have a funny feeling, I will not like the monster once fully shown and the ending . . . because I have become, so entertainment jaded.
I thought they could have squeezed 1 more episode out of the first season. Final episode seemed to plow through a lot. Thought the whole aesthetic of it was great. The callbacks, references, nods, homages, everything. So good. Also had a lot of its own unique touch that made it just original enough. Have loved a lot of the fan artwork this has spawned.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #1022 on: August 19, 2016, 02:50:12 pm »
I thought they could have squeezed 1 more episode out of the first season.
It really could've gotten to 10 episodes easily.

I do feel like the one thing they didn't nail (aside from the fat acceptance bullshit) is that the episodes were very uneven in terms of plot balance. The finale, like you said, could've been a double easily, but there were others that were rather thin. Oddly balanced.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1023 on: August 19, 2016, 04:58:25 pm »

I do feel like the one thing they didn't nail (aside from the fat acceptance bullshit) is that the episodes were very uneven in terms of plot balance. The finale, like you said, could've been a double easily, but there were others that were rather thin. Oddly balanced.
It seemed like an avalanche of story was coming and then it kind of just ended. It was a bit odd. I look forward to the next season. Wonder if they can keep that lightning in a bottle.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #1024 on: August 19, 2016, 07:11:23 pm »
Little prince
slack

killsaly

« Reply #1025 on: August 22, 2016, 01:50:22 pm »
The Adventures of the Little Prince?

« Reply #1026 on: August 22, 2016, 04:29:49 pm »
nope...the new netflix reboot
slack

killsaly

« Reply #1027 on: August 22, 2016, 05:21:04 pm »
It is not a Television show; it is a movie.  Netflix acquired the film from Paramount after Paramount decided to not release it.  It is not "prestige TV". 

« Reply #1028 on: August 22, 2016, 06:18:40 pm »
ok..to be honest...I wrote a post in the wrong thread
rather than put a .
I decided to post something about something I saw on tv that I liked...true it's a movie
ya got me
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1029 on: August 22, 2016, 07:06:05 pm »
You coulda just said like, Seinfeld

« Reply #1030 on: August 22, 2016, 08:41:40 pm »
It is not a Television show; it is a movie.  Netflix acquired the film from Paramount after Paramount decided to not release it.  It is not "prestige TV". 
Excellent pedantry in the defense of the stated theme of the thread. Great job,
Killsaly!
LVMH

killsaly

« Reply #1031 on: August 22, 2016, 09:42:08 pm »
 ;D

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1032 on: August 23, 2016, 09:57:03 am »
New season of The Eric Andre Show is going swimmingly. I'm glad he's finding new ways of fucking with people who are "in" on the bit.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #1033 on: September 02, 2016, 01:13:38 pm »

It seemed like an avalanche of story was coming and then it kind of just ended. It was a bit odd. I look forward to the next season. Wonder if they can keep that lightning in a bottle.

Yes, all of this.

Should have been 10 episodes, as they absolutely stopped all of the homage stuff at around episode 6 and rushed to the end.  After the first two, each chapter had a new writer.  The last episode also featured a change in writers with "Story by" which was fairly clear that it had an impact on the quality and continuity. 

I also feel as though they should not have done the "One Month Later" bullshit - seems as though it was added later after initial screenings were successful and they were certain to be renewed.  In true Stephen King/Twilight Zone fashion, I wish they had made it like a novella and made season 2 a completely new story.

But still, loved it, like anyone in the 35-45 age range should.  Impossible not to watch Poltergeist, Stand By Me, ET, etc afterwards.

Lastly, I think the end of Episode 3 is in my Pantheon of Great TV Moments.
27>34

« Reply #1034 on: September 02, 2016, 01:33:33 pm »
Lastly, I think the end of Episode 3 is in my Pantheon of Great TV Moments.
Refresh my memory? The Barb at the pool scene?

EDIT: NVM, you mean the Christmas lights. Yes, agreed.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:48:23 pm by Julian, the BELOVED »
LVMH