Author Topic: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion  (Read 612544 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: SPOILER WARNING: Prestige Television Discussion
« Reply #1770 on: September 07, 2022, 10:22:58 am »
Coda-deserving of the Oscars
was off my radar, but just watched the trailer and it looks great
In twenty years, people are going to look back on Coda winning Best Picture the way we currently view Forrest Gump or Driving Miss Daisy winning. There are a couple "stories" Oscar voters tell with their Best Picture selection, and they pick one of these every year:

• Sprawling epic film that is a cinematic marvel deserves to win
  • Most popular film of the year deserves to win
  • We are raising up arthouse voices with this selection despite very few people actually seeing this film
  • This film presents a rosy picture of who we are/can be and we're giving it an award

... and whenever they select that last one (which they did with Coda, a film no one really saw until it won that is not technically particularly great and not arthouse at all), it ages SO POORLY.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #1771 on: September 07, 2022, 10:31:46 am »
Coda-deserving of the Oscars
was off my radar, but just watched the trailer and it looks great
In twenty years, people are going to look back on Coda winning Best Picture the way we currently view Forrest Gump or Driving Miss Daisy winning. There are a couple "stories" Oscar voters tell with their Best Picture selection, and they pick one of these every year:

• Sprawling epic film that is a cinematic marvel deserves to win
  • Most popular film of the year deserves to win
  • We are raising up arthouse voices with this selection despite very few people actually seeing this film
  • This film presents a rosy picture of who we are/can be and we're giving it an award

... and whenever they select that last one (which they did with Coda, a film no one really saw until it won that is not technically particularly great and not arthouse at all), it ages SO POORLY.

I saw it well before it was nominated. I like small films that tell a good story and offer hope. So I probably am the target audience for only one of those type of films you describe/

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1772 on: September 07, 2022, 11:40:10 am »
"I saw it well before it was nominated" is the new "i was listening to them before they went mainstream"
<sig>

« Reply #1773 on: September 07, 2022, 12:05:57 pm »
"I saw it well before it was nominated" is the new "i was listening to them before they went mainstream"
+1
slack

GAY,GUY

« Reply #1774 on: September 08, 2022, 09:47:36 pm »
Is the new GOT worth the effort, for me to attempt to watch it?

That good, huh?  Lol.  Anyone watching the  new LOTR?  I have been too lazy to start it, and now with all the crazy racism backlash.  I love the movies, even The Hobbit, so I guess I should give it a shot.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #1775 on: September 09, 2022, 06:54:30 pm »
I watched the 1st one.  I enjoyed it and will keep watching as time allows. 

Is the new GOT worth the effort, for me to attempt to watch it?

That good, huh?  Lol.  Anyone watching the  new LOTR?  I have been too lazy to start it, and now with all the crazy racism backlash.  I love the movies, even The Hobbit, so I guess I should give it a shot.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1776 on: September 12, 2022, 11:25:17 am »
Watching both "House of the Dragon" and "Rings Of Power", both are proving to be interesting so far... Of course the first few episodes are going to be a little slow as they have all new characters to introduce, but they are quickly picking up steam..

HOTD as one would expect has lots of Dragons.. It also feels like it's going to include all the British actors/actresses not in GOT, not that Paddy Considine, Matt Smith, Rhys Ifans are slouches... Apparently, last night's episode went full GOT last night.

The hubbub over the casting of ROP is just more white fragility on display, it's fantasy FFS.. and besides the Harfoots are described as being of "Browner of skin" then Hobbits..  Anyways, it would appear that ROP is building towards the main characters banding together eventually, hard to say as my only exposure to that universe is the movies...
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1777 on: September 12, 2022, 12:00:52 pm »
and if anyone cares.. here a thread of several instances were the casting of a character in an adaptation didn't match the "author's vision"

https://twitter.com/DiscordianKitty/status/1566669300605374464?s=20&t=XyNSIfz0kY2o3EvjNV_L0A
T.Rex

« Reply #1778 on: September 12, 2022, 01:27:06 pm »
It’s such a stupid game, nearly every movie does it to some degree
Fantasy fans are a lot more racist than one would have expected, 
this isn’t new news
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1779 on: September 12, 2022, 08:55:19 pm »
Holy shit Sheryl Lee Ralph just set a new standard at the Emmys.

Space Freely

« Reply #1780 on: September 12, 2022, 09:22:04 pm »

Most gratingly loud acceptance "speech" of all time!

Space Freely

« Reply #1781 on: September 12, 2022, 09:26:53 pm »

Never mind, Lizzo for the win.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1782 on: September 12, 2022, 09:44:34 pm »

It wasn't too loud, you just couldn't hear it.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #1783 on: September 26, 2022, 03:45:35 pm »
The 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time
A ranking of the most game-changing, side-splitting, tear-jerking, mind-blowing, world-building, genre-busting programs in television history, from the medium’s inception in the early 20th century through the ever-metastasizing era of Peak TV
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-lists/best-tv-shows-of-all-time-1234598313/

Does what it says on the tin.

OR DOES IT? ??? ?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1784 on: September 26, 2022, 04:02:22 pm »
6 of the top 10, 9 of the top 15, and 14 of the top 20 being shows that have been on the air in the last decade tells you you should put this list right into the trash.
LVMH