Author Topic: Comic Books, Slacks, Herpes, and Parenting Advice  (Read 57147 times)

Hexenjagd

Re: Comic Books, Slacks, Herpes, and Parenting Advice
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2014, 01:40:18 pm »
GGW made the thread and can change the name.

atomic

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2014, 01:40:29 pm »
Best parenting advice ever

Try, "NOT HAVING KIDS"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AhGvR0143s

I didn't watch the video but "Trying to have kids" is the best part. 

What made you change your mind about having a child atomic? Weren't you anti kids about a month ago or so or was that just schtick?

I was just joking around.   I have always wanted kids. 

why did you wait until 56?

49 and  I don't have to discuss every facet of my personal life on the board.

do you think some children will think you're the grandpa rather than the father?

Why would I care?  

atomic

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2014, 01:52:37 pm »
How much socialization does an infant under one need? They are not even aware of the other infants.

If you're referring to the socialization the daycare workers who no doubt give them as much individual attention, cuddling, and unconditional love as their mommy would, well I guess you got me on that one.

well as you no doubt know autism spectrum disorder is a big thing these days...

I could see early exposure to other kids being beneficial for kid with asd as part of an "early intervention" scenario....about 1 in 40 boys these days and growing are on the spectrum..

like i said...its a case by case thing... a parent may do one thing, make one choice, and realize that their choice ended up not being helpful... you do the best you can and the chips fall where they fall... but its all so complex, with every kid being different that i don't think there is one great way of parenting

moreover, do you ever wonder about how 300 years ago the consensus on parenting was very different from what it was 200 years ago and 100 years ago and now?  what people as a whole think is the right way of parenting is not necessarily "right" because i would argue there i no "right" way...at least not the same "right" way for everyone.

only 50 years ago in certain societies kids were sent to boarding schools, dads were very aloof and unloving.... yet people in the main turned out ok...

i'm' not passing judgment one way or another.. just saying that i definitely observe a "this is the way you should parent" undercurrent going on...

i realize the issues may be getting mixed up and we're probably in agreement on a lot.. i got to run though

More people have autism because they classify more people as autistic.  Nothing has changed.

atomic

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2014, 01:53:18 pm »

and I don't know who you are surrounded by... here in Arlington and with my friends in the area having kids all I see is child-obsessed parenting... kids being shuttled from one activity to another...some kids being taken to 4 or 5 events on one weekend day!..parents freaking about what preschool their kid gets into..i just got back from the storytime at westover public library and you could not fit one more kid or parent/nanny in the place... i don't believe that in the history of mankind we have ever seen such an all consuming focus on parenting... i don't say its a bad thing or a good thing but in general in our society today it is all about the kids.. .even the whole "when you have a kid your life is over..." mantra people are told when they're expecting....
Cheers for this.  I strive to be as far from that kind of parent as possible.

What is wrong with children't storytime?  I would think you would want your kids to go to that.

James Ford

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2014, 02:07:32 pm »
I'm not sure what the point of storytime at a library would be. I bet Hutch reads very well to his kids and they love it more than if they would sitting in a library with a bunch of other kids listening to a stranger read.

and I don't know who you are surrounded by... here in Arlington and with my friends in the area having kids all I see is child-obsessed parenting... kids being shuttled from one activity to another...some kids being taken to 4 or 5 events on one weekend day!..parents freaking about what preschool their kid gets into..i just got back from the storytime at westover public library and you could not fit one more kid or parent/nanny in the place... i don't believe that in the history of mankind we have ever seen such an all consuming focus on parenting... i don't say its a bad thing or a good thing but in general in our society today it is all about the kids.. .even the whole "when you have a kid your life is over..." mantra people are told when they're expecting....

What is wrong with children't storytime?  I would think you would want your kids to go to that.

Yada

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2014, 02:09:35 pm »

Try, "NOT HAVING KIDS"

What made you change your mind about having a child atomic? Weren't you anti kids about a month ago or so or was that just schtick?

do you think some children will think you're the grandpa rather than the father?

Why would I care?  

Do you not fear being able to do activities with your child because you'll be an old man?

James Ford

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2014, 02:14:23 pm »
49 is not old, if you eat and exercise properly.

I plan on hiking the Grand Canyon and the Alps with my daughter when i'm in my 50's, if she can keep up.

atomic

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2014, 02:15:06 pm »
I'm not sure what the point of storytime at a library would be. I bet Hutch reads very well to his kids and they love it more than if they would sitting in a library with a bunch of other kids listening to a stranger read.

My wife does storytimes and infant programs for a living at a library.  People seem to like it.  And it is a bonding activity to do with your child.

atomic

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2014, 02:15:59 pm »

Try, "NOT HAVING KIDS"

Why would I care?  

Do you not fear being able to do activities with your child because you'll be an old man?

Do you feel chicks don't like you because your manhood is so small?

ggw

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2014, 02:26:26 pm »
dont most kids nowadays, just grow up hating you, and become like justin beiber; sans the part where they have fuck you money?  im talking about the part where they commit felonies and smoke pot all day.

Justin Bieber doesn't hate his parents.  He commits felonies and smokes dope all day with his father and he scores his blues from his moms.

James Ford

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2014, 02:42:53 pm »
And she's hot, so the dads probably are happy to take the kids.

My wife does storytimes and infant programs for a living at a library.  People seem to like it.  And it is a bonding activity to do with your child.

Yada

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2014, 04:35:41 pm »
In general, no, 49 isn't that old, but to have your first child it's quite old. Atomic won't be able to do any strenuous activities with his offspring in about 10 years.

atomic

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2014, 04:41:58 pm »
In general, no, 49 isn't that old, but to have your first child it's quite old. Atomic won't be able to do any strenuous activities with his offspring in about 10 years.

Nonsense.  I have good genes I will be fine.  My grandmother's sole transportation at 88 was a bicycle.  No one in my family history has stopped doing things because of their age.  My mom was hiking in the Alps with me this fall at the age of 79.

Anyway you are being an asshole.  I am not worried about my age.  When I was single hot chicks 20 years younger than me would hit on me.  Maybe you are comparing your worn out body to mine.  Stop eating all that meat and maybe you wouldn't be aging so quickly. 

Yada

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2014, 04:45:22 pm »

Nonsense.  I have good genes I will be fine.  My grandmother's sole transportation at 88 was a bicycle.  No one in my family history has stopped doing things because of their age.  My mom was hiking in the Alps with me this fall at the age of 79.

Anyway you are being an asshole.  I am not worried about my age.  When I was single hot chicks 20 years younger than me would hit on me.  Maybe you are comparing your worn out body to mine.  Stop eating all that meat and maybe you wouldn't be aging so quickly. 

I'm sorry you're so angered about your decision to produce a child so late in life. Other than David Letterman and Larry King, I can't think of many men I know in life that wait that long. Don't be mad at me about it. I wish you nothing but the best of luck and years of health.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2014, 05:09:31 pm »
My brother is 54 and him and his wife just had a baby.  His 3rd.  And his oldest is like 23.  Middle is 14.  3rd baby mama too.

I'm like "have you lost your mind?  resetting that clock now so late in the game?"

Atomic will be fine.  My brother I'm not so sure.

Congrats Atomic.