Author Topic: Is there a good store in the area to buy baby stuff  (Read 24567 times)

James Ford

Re: Is there a good store in the area to buy baby stuff
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 11:15:14 am »
My point was to think about what kind of parent you want to be before just going out and reacting to a pregnancy by buying a bunch of shit "you're supposed to have". I think you yourself made the same exact point earlier.

When we were pregnant, we went out and bought crap we were "supposed to buy". We ended up throwing away the crib after never using it, and either selling or giving away the stroller we never used.

We never used a crib and very seldom used any stroller other than a jogging stroller.

I suggest a shared bed or co-sleeper and then later a futon mattress as better alternatives to cribs.And Baby Bjorns or other slings as much more convenient and nurturing alternatives to strollers.

You can get all of those items new online. Better yet, you can probably find them in good shape used for a fraction of the cost on Craigslist.

You're welcome.

I wonder what you would have told him if he had actually asked for parenting advice.  Maybe "go to ikea"?  Seems like you have your answers and your questions sorted incorrectly.

shemptiness

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 11:37:40 am »
You were pregnant?

James Ford

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 11:41:35 am »
If you?re in this camp about plural pregnancy announcements, you probably understand that pregnancy is something, that while physically done by the mother alone, take team work. This team work is about mentally and emotionally preparing for the arrival of a new baby into the family. It can also be about the physical support that a new mom needs as she?s going through pregnancy. (Think someone to help do house work, while she?s throwing up in the bathroom.) Typically people in this camp are pregnant for the first time are or trying to conceive. (It?s not to say that it can?t be done or done right, it?s just to say that it?s really hard to feel like you?re a team when only one of you is sick or doesn?t want to eat. The opposite is also true, when you?re alone the one feeling the baby move, that?s a pretty special secret.)

You were pregnant?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 11:43:23 am »
have a baby . . . wait eighteen years . . . they become this:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/04/justice/student-sues-parents-new-jersey/

enjoy.
She looks like she'd be a wildcat, if you catch my drift.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 11:44:31 am »
Just go to Babies'r'Us

Everything there looked super low quality and flimsy.
because it is.  go with solid wood and untreated for your crib. cheap mattresses off gas tons of chemicals too.  Sucks to drop cash on this stuff, but it's important.  Unlike bigscreen TVs and European cars

The question is where would one buy such quality mattresses and cribs?

atomic

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 11:47:44 am »
My point was to think about what kind of parent you want to be before just going out and reacting to a pregnancy by buying a bunch of shit "you're supposed to have". I think you yourself made the same exact point earlier.

When we were pregnant, we went out and bought crap we were "supposed to buy". We ended up throwing away the crib after never using it, and either selling or giving away the stroller we never used.

We never used a crib and very seldom used any stroller other than a jogging stroller.

I suggest a shared bed or co-sleeper and then later a futon mattress as better alternatives to cribs.And Baby Bjorns or other slings as much more convenient and nurturing alternatives to strollers.

You can get all of those items new online. Better yet, you can probably find them in good shape used for a fraction of the cost on Craigslist.

You're welcome.

I wonder what you would have told him if he had actually asked for parenting advice.  Maybe "go to ikea"?  Seems like you have your answers and your questions sorted incorrectly.

James Ford is the angriest hippie in the world.  I am certainly not going to buy a used futon mattress on craigslist.

atomic

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 11:52:19 am »
have a baby . . . wait eighteen years . . . they become this:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/04/justice/student-sues-parents-new-jersey/

enjoy.

I don't get it.  She is 18 the school is picking up the cost of her remaining high school.  What is she sueing for?  Join the military is my advice.

Yada

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 12:19:38 pm »
James, when your child was above 30lbs or so, did you continue to schelp her around in a bjorn/sling?

Also, how long did your child sleep in bed with you? I'm assuming you didn't drop her on to a futon at 6 months?

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 12:21:33 pm »
Just go to Babies'r'Us

Everything there looked super low quality and flimsy.
because it is.  go with solid wood and untreated for your crib. cheap mattresses off gas tons of chemicals too.  Sucks to drop cash on this stuff, but it's important.  Unlike bigscreen TVs and European cars

The question is where would one buy such quality mattresses and cribs?
if you had posted this two months ago, I would have literality given this to you as we tried to sell on craigslist to no avail, offered to friends then and gave it to Goodwill
Pacific Rim Cribs

But we kinda are hippies  ;D (at least when it comes to stuff for the wee ones)

The co-sleeper is a good idea and you would use that for first few months
So you have plenty of time on the crib
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:25:51 pm by Sidehatch »
slack

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 12:40:16 pm »
James, when your child was above 30lbs or so, did you continue to schelp her around in a bjorn/sling?

30lbs...don't you think they'd be walking at this point!?

Slings are great, especially for the dads.  my only comment on these...the baby should face you
sensory overload for them and they can't look at you for reassurance everything is ok with all those scary noises and bright lights.

I imagine this is what it would be like visiting JF's house stroller
slack

Yada

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 12:52:43 pm »

30lbs...don't you think they'd be walking at this point!?

Slings are great, especially for the dads.  my only comment on these...the baby should face you
sensory overload for them and they can't look at you for reassurance everything is ok with all those scary noises and bright lights.

I imagine this is what it would be like visiting JF's house stroller

Sure, they're walking but if you're out on an all day jaunt, your 1.5 year old isn't going to walk five miles.

Relaxer

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 12:54:14 pm »
Maybe Babies'r'Us has changed since I was last in there five years ago but unless you're Gwenyth Paltrow, I think they have a range of products from low quality to very good quality and my anecdotal evidence is based on using them for two kids.

Also, taking your kid for long walks in a stroller is so fun. I did love doing the same with the (unbelievably overpriced) Baby Bjorn, and the backpack carrier, and the sling, but I'd take my kids for 5-mile walks around the city and the stroller worked very well for that.

I'm against the co-sleeper and the whole idea of the babies sleeping in the parents' bed. I understand that it works for some people, but both my kids are amazing sleepers and I attribute that largely to their being comfortable alone in their crib, racecar beds, big boy beds, and now regular twin beds.
oword

ggw

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 12:55:25 pm »
If you?re in this camp about plural pregnancy announcements, you probably understand that pregnancy is something, that while physically done by the mother alone, take team work. This team work is about mentally and emotionally preparing for the arrival of a new baby into the family. It can also be about the physical support that a new mom needs as she?s going through pregnancy. (Think someone to help do house work, while she?s throwing up in the bathroom.) Typically people in this camp are pregnant for the first time are or trying to conceive. (It?s not to say that it can?t be done or done right, it?s just to say that it?s really hard to feel like you?re a team when only one of you is sick or doesn?t want to eat. The opposite is also true, when you?re alone the one feeling the baby move, that?s a pretty special secret.)

You were pregnant?

Nice cut & paste job.

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/announcingyourpregnancy/a/We-Are-Pregnant-Are-We-Pregnant.htm

James Ford

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 01:04:01 pm »
Thanks, Sherlock.

You were pregnant?

Nice cut & paste job.

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/announcingyourpregnancy/a/We-Are-Pregnant-Are-We-Pregnant.htm

Yada

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 01:04:34 pm »

You were pregnant?

Nice cut & paste job.

lol