Author Topic: Is there a good store in the area to buy baby stuff  (Read 24566 times)

atomic

Re: Is there a good store in the area to buy baby stuff
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 01:05:37 pm »
If you?re in this camp about plural pregnancy announcements, you probably understand that pregnancy is something, that while physically done by the mother alone, take team work. This team work is about mentally and emotionally preparing for the arrival of a new baby into the family. It can also be about the physical support that a new mom needs as she?s going through pregnancy. (Think someone to help do house work, while she?s throwing up in the bathroom.) Typically people in this camp are pregnant for the first time are or trying to conceive. (It?s not to say that it can?t be done or done right, it?s just to say that it?s really hard to feel like you?re a team when only one of you is sick or doesn?t want to eat. The opposite is also true, when you?re alone the one feeling the baby move, that?s a pretty special secret.)

You were pregnant?

Nice cut & paste job.

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/announcingyourpregnancy/a/We-Are-Pregnant-Are-We-Pregnant.htm

I don't know which way is worse as this is just about the dumbest thing I have ever read.  Would be worse if James Ford had written it or is it worse that he tried to pretend these were his own thoughts.

James Ford

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 01:07:57 pm »
But didn't you feel like there was more of a bonding experience going on when you had them in the sling as opposed to a stroller?

When it came to five mile walks/runs, our jogging strollers definitely were the way to go.

There also comes an age where the kids themselves should be walking, and not sitting in a stroller. WTF is up with people having their four year olds in a stroller?

Also, taking your kid for long walks in a stroller is so fun. I did love doing the same with the (unbelievably overpriced) Baby Bjorn, and the backpack carrier, and the sling, but I'd take my kids for 5-mile walks around the city and the stroller worked very well for that.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 01:10:32 pm by James Ford »

James Ford

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 01:09:19 pm »
It sounds like it's straight from an article. Are you really so dumb that you can't tell what is copied and pasted from an article and what someone is typing on a message board apart?

If you?re in this camp about plural pregnancy announcements, you probably understand that pregnancy is something, that while physically done by the mother alone, take team work. This team work is about mentally and emotionally preparing for the arrival of a new baby into the family. It can also be about the physical support that a new mom needs as she?s going through pregnancy. (Think someone to help do house work, while she?s throwing up in the bathroom.) Typically people in this camp are pregnant for the first time are or trying to conceive. (It?s not to say that it can?t be done or done right, it?s just to say that it?s really hard to feel like you?re a team when only one of you is sick or doesn?t want to eat. The opposite is also true, when you?re alone the one feeling the baby move, that?s a pretty special secret.)

You were pregnant?

Nice cut & paste job.

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/announcingyourpregnancy/a/We-Are-Pregnant-Are-We-Pregnant.htm

I don't know which way is worse as this is just about the dumbest thing I have ever read.  Would be worse if James Ford had written it or is it worse that he tried to pretend these were his own thoughts.

atomic

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 01:11:02 pm »
Just go to Babies'r'Us

Everything there looked super low quality and flimsy.
because it is.  go with solid wood and untreated for your crib. cheap mattresses off gas tons of chemicals too.  Sucks to drop cash on this stuff, but it's important.  Unlike bigscreen TVs and European cars

The question is where would one buy such quality mattresses and cribs?
if you had posted this two months ago, I would have literality given this to you as we tried to sell on craigslist to no avail, offered to friends then and gave it to Goodwill
Pacific Rim Cribs

But we kinda are hippies  ;D (at least when it comes to stuff for the wee ones)

The co-sleeper is a good idea and you would use that for first few months
So you have plenty of time on the crib

Thanks for the link. I  don't think I like the idea of the co sleeper because instead of the wife waking up and going to another room she would be keeping me awake in my room.  I guess this might work for James Ford because he doesn't sleep in the same room as his wife. 

atomic

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 01:11:47 pm »
It sounds like it's straight from an article. Are you really so dumb that you can't tell what is copied and pasted from an article and what someone is typing on a message board apart?

You were pregnant?

Nice cut & paste job.

James you got caught.  Just admit it.  Like all your other ideas they come from other people.

James Ford

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 01:34:48 pm »
My wife is a very strong woman. 30 pounds=piece of cake,

We had a co-sleeper attached to our bed for about six months. We then moved her into a futon.

Turned out to be very convenient. Rather than be awakened multiple times for feedings in the middle of the night and have to trot from one room to the next, my wife could just shove the breast in daughter's face and they'd both quickly fall back asleep together.

This worked very well during the breastfeeding years, and there were no sleep issues for my daughter (Not to mention both my wife and I got better sleep than if the kid had been in a crib in another room).

James, when your child was above 30lbs or so, did you continue to schelp her around in a bjorn/sling?

Also, how long did your child sleep in bed with you? I'm assuming you didn't drop her on to a futon at 6 months?

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 01:42:34 pm »

Thanks for the link. I  don't think I like the idea of the co sleeper because instead of the wife waking up and going to another room she would be keeping me awake in my room.  I guess this might work for James Ford because he doesn't sleep in the same room as his wife. 

Sadly my wife wanted me to feel the pain  :o
but I sleep like a rock and am fine on 4 hours sleep

But the first few months if you are breast feeding ...co sleeper is the way to go
getting up and going into another room to breast feed opposed to just rolling over and doing it is so much easier

I do think at a certain point they need to get in their own bed in their own room, I'm not a family bed kind guy
that's insane

Family I knew in SF had a 4 year old and twins in their bed everynight (still do I imagine)
no f'n way
I'm not into the attachment parenting stuff.

I think the sling is great...and when I lived in SF, I'd get out and do the hills for an hour or so with them in the sling...great workout and they slept the whole time.
and long trips out in the parks or around town, the strollers do come in handy for the under 3 crowd

Also don't get a sit up stroller for an infant...get a pram.
babies should be seated until they are able to sit up on their own
people always try way too hard to get babies to the next stage...
slack

Yada

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 01:45:27 pm »
As someone who is going through all of this right now, so far we used a co-sleeper the first six weeks and just put her in her own room (a whopping six feet away) last week. The first month was tough (but not nearly as brutal as some make it out to be), but she's to the point now where she'll sleep for five/six hours straight, feed, and then sleep for an additional three hours or so.

Yada

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 02:31:00 pm »
Did anyone hear the interview with Blossom on Stern?

Talk about a crazy ass parent. Wow.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 02:38:02 pm »
one of the best interviews in a while!  shes a tad off putting crazy, but oh so intelligent, put together and well grounded, as well.  hey, it could be worse, she could be alicia silverstone mom crazy.  but breast feeding until two and reading signals when your kid wants to poop and pee . . . really?  come on blossom!  buy a damn diaper, so they can go running through walmart with it full of shit, like everybody else.

Yada

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 02:43:00 pm »
one of the best interviews in a while!  shes a tad off putting crazy, but oh so intelligent, put together and well grounded, as well.  hey, it could be worse, she could be alicia silverstone mom crazy.  but breast feeding until two and reading signals when your kid wants to poop and pee . . . really?  come on blossom!  buy a damn diaper, so they can go running through walmart with it full of shit, like everybody else.

I agree... highly intelligent, humorous, but neurotic as all hell.

Milk baths!

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2014, 02:48:00 pm »
"its not milk, howard . . . stop trying to make it sound weird.  it's a purification bath.  like a jacuzzi."

atomic

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 02:53:33 pm »

You would have to be insane to go on the Howard Stern show. I can't believe he still has a show.

Yada

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 03:22:21 pm »

You would have to be insane to go on the Howard Stern show. I can't believe he still has a show.

He's one of the best interviewers out there... can't say I really enjoy the other hijinx on his show.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2014, 03:24:22 pm »
what, you dont want to know whats in sals sack?