Author Topic: How did you meet your significant other  (Read 8353 times)

atomic

How did you meet your significant other
« on: March 13, 2014, 11:29:22 pm »
In another attempt for us to get us to know each other lets hare how we met our significant other.  Also did you know right away they were the one?  And how many dates before you went all the way?  Where was your first date? 

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
Re: How did you meet your significant other
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 11:08:08 am »
you first, atomic.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 11:12:03 am »
my partner and i met on the internet, like you are suppose to, nowadays.  we fucked for about three or so hours, on the first date, like you are supposed to, nowadays.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 11:12:56 am »
Locking and pinning thread
T.Rex

atomic

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 12:04:52 pm »
my partner and i met on the internet, like you are suppose to, nowadays.  we fucked for about three or so hours, on the first date, like you are supposed to, nowadays.

When you say the Internet do you mean this forum?

atomic

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 12:10:42 pm »
you first, atomic.

Sure why not.

Met on Eharmony.  I got a six month subscription and met my prior girlfriend the first day I signed up.  Met Wife on my last week of membership.  So it was lucky I went for the sixth month plan.

Went to Golden West in Hampen for first date.  I only had three beers as I didn't want to make bad first impression.  She had Alagash White.  Mickey Free was our waiter and he gave me the wrong dish but I didn't complain as I didn't want to look like a deuchebag right away. Got lucky on the second date.   

Actually knew she was one after the first date.  I had a date the next day with another chick that I thought about canceling.  The highway was shut down and I was a half hour late which kind of put that date in a bad mood from the start. 

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 12:40:13 pm »
Darn it..  atomic found my LiveJournal and posted it here
T.Rex

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 01:05:24 pm »

When you say the Internet do you mean this forum?

gay dating site . . . which could, very well, be this site.

James Ford

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 01:21:56 pm »
It's interesting that atomic, the guy who had dozens of women hitting on him, paid to meet women via eharmony. A question for you, atomic. Did you find the women you were meeting via eharmony to all in all be better catches than all of those women who were hitting on you in the bars?

You guys who did the personal ads in the days where pictures are the norm really have it made. I did the personal ads back in the days where it was print only. And not that I'm a huge stickler for looks or am any kind of Adonis myself, but most women who placed and answered personal ads back then were definitely below average looking.

But not all of them. I met my wife by answering her Washington City Paper personal ad. I answered in spite of the fact she was a Steely Dan fan. She called me back in spite of the fact that I'm the world's biggest dickhead.  I was the second and last person she went on a date with, though she received many responses. I think we met at a Cosi for coffee or cocoa or something (so that we could easily bail if necessary), and went dutch.  Our second date we went to a Unitarian chirch service and maybe bike riding after, I don't recall. Which is a bit ironic because she's an avowed Atheist now. We agreed that we would keep dating but wouldn't have sex until after three months. I think we lasted 39 days, and had sex for the first time on July 4. The  end.

atomic

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 01:45:41 pm »
It's interesting that atomic, the guy who had dozens of women hitting on him, paid to meet women via eharmony. A question for you, atomic. Did you find the women you were meeting via eharmony to all in all be better catches than all of those women who were hitting on you in the bars?

Most of the girls hitting me in bars were younger than 28.  I wanted someone in the 28 to 34 age range. Mature enough for a serious relationship and still in the baby making years.

I think it is best to find someone you have a lot in common with.  I could see my wife liked the Decemberists and enjoyed similar books and movies to me.  Also seem to like a lot of different cuisines and traveling.  It sucks talking to a super hot girl in a bar for an hour just to find out her favorite band is Kings of Leon and her favorite restaurant is 5 guys. 

Chicks in bars are fine for hooking up with but I think if you are looking for a wife it is best to cast a wider net.  Also, I joined E-harmony the day my live in girlfriend moved out so it was kind of a spur of the moment thing.  And it was nice to be dating someone 14 years younger than you a week after a bad break-up.  Good for your ego  which you need at times like that.

Second your wife might have put out earlier if you didn't insist on going dutch. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 02:09:16 pm by atomic »

atomic

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 02:08:17 pm »

You guys who did the personal ads in the days where pictures are the norm really have it made. I did the personal ads back in the days where it was print only. And not that I'm a huge stickler for looks or am any kind of Adonis myself, but most women who placed and answered personal ads back then were definitely below average looking.

But not all of them. I met my wife by answering her Washington City Paper personal ad. I answered in spite of the fact she was a Steely Dan fan. She called me back in spite of the fact that I'm the world's biggest dickhead.  I was the second and last person she went on a date with, though she received many responses. I think we met at a Cosi for coffee or cocoa or something (so that we could easily bail if necessary), and went dutch.  Our second date we went to a Unitarian chirch service and maybe bike riding after, I don't recall. Which is a bit ironic because she's an avowed Atheist now. We agreed that we would keep dating but wouldn't have sex until after three months. I think we lasted 39 days, and had sex for the first time on July 4. The  end.

Ok two thoughts here.  E-harmony is sort of the like Glengarry Glen Ross.  They give you 7 matches each day.  So you can only talk to people you have been matched with.  A lot of the members you are matched with are not paying members so they can't reply to you.  So when I first joined I got decent matches after that the active members I got matched with were pretty bad. I guess you don't notice unattactive people when you are in the real world.  I kept waiting for the good matches.

Second I don't know if it was because my membership was about to expire or it was January 1st and hot women decided to join E-harmony as a New Years Resolution. Because 2 weeks before my membership I had a lot of hot women to converse with.  If I had to do it over I would do Match.com where you get to pick whomever you want to talk to. Also, they matched me with so many women from DC when I put a 25 mile limit on matches.  I think they just match you on what the females are asking for and don't care about the men's constrains.  I did seem to get better matches when I put a filter on to not get matched with Religious women.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 02:12:04 pm »
was there eharmony in 1975?
(_|_)

James Ford

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 02:12:34 pm »
I don't see a huge difference between someone liking the Decemberists and Kings of Leon. They are both mainstream rock bands to me. Would their female fanbase really be that different?

I tended to meet lot of women in DC who adamantly did not want to ever have children. I know there are some men for whom these women would be national treasures, but it was a deal breaker for me.

hutch

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 02:17:41 pm »

I tended to meet lot of women in DC who adamantly did not want to ever have children. I know there are some men for whom these women would be national treasures, but it was a deal breaker for me.

wow..two things i agree with you this week...first bout teenage fanclub and now this

i wonder if i am hallucinating...some of the drugs i been taking are crazy.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 02:24:28 pm »
i like to meet somebody who actually met their lover, in a supermarket or a bar or even at church.  how, creepy.