Author Topic: Cars, Cars, Cars  (Read 10647 times)

atomic

Cars, Cars, Cars
« on: March 14, 2014, 12:29:23 pm »
We are dudes we love cars.  Discuss your dream car, your daily ride, or put down other cars you see on the road.

This is the car I would get if my wife wasn't mean and would let me get what I wanted.

mercedes-benz e63 amg s-model 4matic wagon

577 horsepower.  0-60 in 3 seconds.  0 to 150 mph in 18 seconds.  Top speed 190.  I was thinking this woud be great to take the kids to daycare in.

If you don't like station wagons you could get the regular one but it wouldn't be as cool

James Ford

Re: Cars, Cars, Cars
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 01:23:21 pm »
Wow, this thread is going nowhere.

My dream car is one that will have the power to take me across the Alps and not break down. Though maybe I'll just stick to the train.

atomic

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 01:34:50 pm »

My dream car is one that will have the power to take me across the Alps and not break down. Though maybe I'll just stick to the train.

Trains through the Alps?  I took a train up to Zugspitze which was kind of boring.  The cable car down was much more fun.  Driving through the Austrian  Alps in my Mercedes rental was fun.  Are you sure you are a dude?  I never heard of a dude not caring about cars before.

James Ford

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 02:06:00 pm »
Lots of dudes who live in DC and NYC choose to go car-free.

I did take an amazing train ride through the Alps 25 years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't actually get off the train. This time I will go and do the hut to hut hiking.

Trains through the Alps?  I took a train up to Zugspitze which was kind of boring.  The cable car down was much more fun.  Driving through the Austrian  Alps in my Mercedes rental was fun.  Are you sure you are a dude?  I never heard of a dude not caring about cars before.

atomic

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 02:24:54 pm »
Lots of dudes who live in DC and NYC choose to go car-free.

I did take an amazing train ride through the Alps 25 years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't actually get off the train. This time I will go and do the hut to hut hiking.

Hut to hut hiking in the alps seems awesome.  There were so many people on the trails I hiked on in the Alps.  I am sure if you get into the more remote areas it would be pretty amazing. 

ggw

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 02:31:18 pm »
I have to say, I'm not keen on Mercedes anymore.  My wife and I have had four.

1970 200 (W115) - Fun little car.  Dual Zenith carbs.  Had that awesome 60s-70s European suspension where you actually felt the road and were glued to it.
1976 260 (W115) - Gray market car - Last year of the W115 body styles.  Six cylinder.  Like the above, but with fuel injection instead.
1979 300SD (W116) - About 20 feet long. Lovingly referred to as "The Jew Canoe" by my stepbrother.  Big turbodiesel engine got all ~4500lbs of the car from 0 to 60 in less than 20 seconds.  Bought it when it had 88k and got it to ~225k miles before the frame got some rust.  Indestructible engine that required almost no maintenance.  The suspension made it feel like driving while seated on your living room sofa.

We loved all three of those.  But Mercedes went downhill after the '70s.

We got a 2002 C320.  My wife drove it for about six weeks and hated it.  Traded it in.
I rented a new E class when I was in LA last year.  I found it unremarkable.

Currently I drive a 2009 Range Rover HSE and a 2013 Maserati Granturismo Sport (yes, I have a very small penis).  My wife has a 3-series.

I have been keeping my eye out for a nice Defender 90.  Hard top in Arles blue would be perfect.  But I have been intrigued by this pickup also.

My wife wants a p1800.  Very hard to find a good one.

atomic

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 02:35:45 pm »
I have to say, I'm not keen on Mercedes anymore.  My wife and I have had four.

1970 200 (W115) - Fun little car.  Dual Zenith carbs.  Had that awesome 60s-70s European suspension where you actually felt the road and were glued to it.
1976 260 (W115) - Gray market car - Last year of the W115 body styles.  Six cylinder.  Like the above, but with fuel injection instead.
1979 300SD (W116) - About 20 feet long. Lovingly referred to as "The Jew Canoe" by my stepbrother.  Big turbodiesel engine got all ~4500lbs of the car from 0 to 60 in less than 20 seconds.  Bought it when it had 88k and got it to ~225k miles before the frame got some rust.  Indestructible engine that required almost no maintenance.  The suspension made it feel like driving while seated on your living room sofa.

We loved all three of those.  But Mercedes went downhill after the '70s.

We got a 2002 C320.  My wife drove it for about six weeks and hated it.  Traded it in.
I rented a new E class when I was in LA last year.  I found it unremarkable.

Currently I drive a 2009 Range Rover HSE and a 2013 Maserati Granturismo Sport (yes, I have a very small penis).  My wife has a 3-series.

I have been keeping my eye out for a nice Defender 90.  Hard top in Arles blue would be perfect.  But I have been intrigued by this pickup also.

My wife wants a p1800.  Very hard to find a good one.

Getting a 2013 Maserati Granturismo Sport is a pretty awesome looking car.  Is it reliable? 

ggw

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 02:46:36 pm »
Is it reliable? 

Ha ha.

It's Italian.  It's temperamental. 

In the first six months I had to take it in (or have it towed in) for a completely dead battery (it must be started and run at least once a week or the battery gets totally drained), a failed parking brake sensor that told me the brake was on when it wasn't, the inside door handle failed (nothing looks cooler in a parking lot than rolling down the window of your six figure Italian sports car so you can reach out and open your door from the outside), and something else that I am forgetting.  I had a minor fender bender in it.  It took six weeks to get a headlight shipped over from Modena.

The ipod integration and GPS are really really bad.

I knew it was unreliable when I got it.  I also knew it would never hold its value.  That's why I leased it instead of buying.  But all its shortcomings vanish from my mind when I start it up.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 03:32:53 pm »
In America, we call that a lemon.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 03:40:38 pm »
What's the lease terms on that thing?

atomic

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 03:45:11 pm »
Is it reliable? 

Ha ha.

It's Italian.  It's temperamental. 

In the first six months I had to take it in (or have it towed in) for a completely dead battery (it must be started and run at least once a week or the battery gets totally drained), a failed parking brake sensor that told me the brake was on when it wasn't, the inside door handle failed (nothing looks cooler in a parking lot than rolling down the window of your six figure Italian sports car so you can reach out and open your door from the outside), and something else that I am forgetting.  I had a minor fender bender in it.  It took six weeks to get a headlight shipped over from Modena.

The ipod integration and GPS are really really bad.

I knew it was unreliable when I got it.  I also knew it would never hold its value.  That's why I leased it instead of buying.  But all its shortcomings vanish from my mind when I start it up.

I guess the Ghibli is the only thing in my price range.  I had a Ducati that had many issues including dying while doing 95 mph on the highway in the first two weeks.  Also had problems with a broken brake light that after 3 months of waiting I got the dealer to give me one off a new bike they had on the show room floor.   Mine did hold its value pretty well though as it is now selling on ebay for more than I bought it new. 

It seems the Italians think design first, performance second, reliablity, support, or comfort isn't thought at all. 

chaz

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 03:55:16 pm »
  I had a Ducati that had many issues including dying while doing 95 mph on the highway in the first two weeks. 
It's a pretty controversial topic...engine break in...but just about anyone will agree that you shouldn't be revving and racing any engine the first few-500 miles or so.  Especially a temperamental italian one.

atomic

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 03:57:47 pm »
  I had a Ducati that had many issues including dying while doing 95 mph on the highway in the first two weeks. 
It's a pretty controversial topic...engine break in...but just about anyone will agree that you shouldn't be revving and racing any engine the first few-500 miles or so.  Especially a temperamental italian one.

95 mph in a Ducati is not high-reving or racing in a Ducati.  Anyway it was the gas line that broke. Nothing engine related.

chaz

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 03:59:01 pm »
I'm not really into cars.  I like my highlander just fine...drives great, is comfortable enough.  hybrid so the mileage is more than enough considering its size. 

I like motorcycles though.  I've got a 76 bmw now and am looking to get something something else fun this summer.  maybe.  and when i wind up with some property lookout.

atomic

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 03:59:36 pm »
What's the lease terms on that thing?

"Lease for $1,179 a month

Lease a New 2014 Maserati GranTurismo Sport. Stock # M140022. Lease special is for 48 months,  $10,000 due at signing plus taxes, tags and $200 process fee (includes first month payment, $795 Acquistion fee,security deposit waived) Subject to credit approval with Ally Financial services.Not
applicable towards any other vehicles, completed deals, or special orders. "

So basically 1400 dollars a month for a 4 year lease.  66,000 dollars.