Author Topic: Record Store Day 4/19/14  (Read 44959 times)

stevewizzle

Re: Record Store Day 4/19/14
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2014, 02:20:18 pm »
i posted my RSD purchases.  sadly, no one cared.
I care!
snagged the three albums i was looking for...
-remastered oracular spectacular
-best of sub pop/pissed jeans live at bbc
-parquet courts 7" single. 

the parquet courts 7 comes with sheet music.
Not bad!  I almost picked up the Parquet Courts 7 inch, but decided to go with the Wildhoney release.

the parquet courts 7" feels too much like a novelty purchase.  it's not a record sleeve, but instead sheet music folded into a record sleeve.  it's neat, but prefer there eps and lps more.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2014, 02:23:24 pm »

Record store day sucks. 

I have never been to record store day and it is very doubtful that I ever will.  I have no attachment/fetish for the physical object of a record or cd, though in the past I most definitely did, so I understand the collector mentality.  But I happen to think that record store day is GREAT.  Everybody knows that record stores are dying.  Most people don't ever go to these places any more.  Record store day is like a day of public awareness that these places still even exist at all.  It's helping to put these brick and morter locations back into the public consciousness, helping to ensure their very survival - which unfortunately is very much in doubt.

I don't know how you could think it's stupid.  Sure I have no desire to participate, but I can see beyond my own inconsequential preferences to see it's value.

stevewizzle

« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2014, 02:24:56 pm »

I bought the original vinyl release of oracular spectacular.  It was of awful quality.  Why do they need a record store day release to put out a proper quality version? 

annoying, for sure. they individually numbered the RSD records (it's limited!), but from what i hear, they will be releasing the album in large quantities just without numbering. so stupid, i just want to listen to the music.

i share a lot of your same frustrations with RSD.

atomic

« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2014, 03:06:24 pm »

I bought the original vinyl release of oracular spectacular.  It was of awful quality.  Why do they need a record store day release to put out a proper quality version? 

why did you partake if you're anti RSD?

I didn't partake. I bought Oracular Spectacular a couple of years ago on vinyl.  The quality of the vinyl recording was awful.  I guess they re-released a re-mastered copy admitting the poor quality of their previous release.

atomic

« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2014, 03:07:20 pm »
Also I never said any SPECIFIC movies had "failings" so I am not sure why you want to mention them. 

As for your examples, PLENTY of good suspenseful movies have been released since (looks up dates) 1954 and 1958.

Who said there weren't good suspense movies released since then. They just aren't as good.

atomic

« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2014, 03:10:10 pm »
I usually don't shop at record stores. I can buy everything online, or from the bands I go see on tour.

Why buy online instead of supporting your local community?  Anyway my main problem with record store day is people who never regularly support record stores getting the stuff I want.  They should just make stuff in large enough quantities where I can go the day after record store day and buy everything I want. I think they are alienating their best customers while people like you who don't support them get the record store day exclusives.

Don't you buy used vinyl?  Or is all old music bad as well?

Yada

« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2014, 03:32:55 pm »

I didn't partake. I bought Oracular Spectacular a couple of years ago on vinyl.  The quality of the vinyl recording was awful.  I guess they re-released a re-mastered copy admitting the poor quality of their previous release.

can't keep your story straight, liar.

I got to tracks on wax at 1 PM there were a ton of people there and I didn't see any record store day stuff so I left.  I was just looking for the Dresden Dolls first album on vinyl. I don't know why they have to do releases as record store day stuff. It is lame. It is for people who have no lives.  Just release stuff every week of the year. 

Hexenjagd

« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2014, 03:34:43 pm »
I support the local scene.  I go to shows.  I buy t shirts (though I am supposed to quit since I have over 200 band shirts at the moment). I buy tapes.  I buy vinyl.  I buy posters.  All from the bands.  I blog about local releases and shows that I attend.  I post links to local bands all the time on facebook.  I mention local shows and releases on here.  

But I buy non-local releases from the labels and bands, on the internet.  

I also tend to buy 80% digital and 20% physical releases.  

So what are you doing to support the local music scene?  Buying a Dresden Doll record?  Going to see Beach House?  

I spend tons of money on music every year.  Probably more than most.  And TONS of that goes directly to Baltimore artists (plus other artists I love).  

As for used vinyl, no I don't buy it.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:42:14 pm by Hexenjagd »

K8teebug

« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2014, 03:51:59 pm »
REM is releasing Unplugged on May 20th!  YAY

K8teebug

« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2014, 03:52:53 pm »
I support the local scene.  I go to shows.  I buy t shirts (though I am supposed to quit since I have over 200 band shirts at the moment). I buy tapes.  I buy vinyl.  I buy posters.  All from the bands.  I blog about local releases and shows that I attend.  I post links to local bands all the time on facebook.  I mention local shows and releases on here.  

So what are you doing to support the local music scene?  Buying a Dresden Doll record?  Going to see Beach House?  

I spend tons of money on music every year.  Probably more than most.  And TONS of that goes directly to Baltimore artists (plus other artists I love).  

good for you. 

Hexenjagd

« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2014, 03:54:34 pm »

My response wasn't meant as a "hey look at me" post, just replying to atomic's statement about me not supporting the local community.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:57:24 pm by Hexenjagd »

Hexenjagd

« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2014, 03:55:28 pm »
Hey k8 aren't you the other Cloud Cult fan on here, or was that someone else?

If so, did you go to the Sixth and I show?

atomic

« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2014, 04:04:23 pm »

I got to tracks on wax at 1 PM there were a ton of people there and I didn't see any record store day stuff so I left.  I was just looking for the Dresden Dolls first album on vinyl. I don't know why they have to do releases as record store day stuff. It is lame. It is for people who have no lives.  Just release stuff every week of the year. 

I wanted that album.  I did not find out about until looking at facebook and seeing a post from Amanda Palmer about it.  I dont' need it to be a record store day copy but that album has never been released on Vinyl. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2014, 04:08:29 pm »

must have forgot to login to the "Seth Hurwitz" account

atomic

« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2014, 04:17:39 pm »

Uh I am the one who went to all the floristree, soft house, other diy venues.  See local bands at metro gallery, ottobar, windup space, have been seeing local bands since the early 80's at venues that weren't advertised.  When you go to as many local shows as I have been to let me know.  Saw them at places like Marble Bar, Our House, Eutaw Street Clubhouse ...where were you?  Wait a second you probably weren't even born when I started going to DIY venues.  Do you remember bands like Reptile House, Cloaca, Grey March, Bangah, Cabal, Beyond Words, Monkey Spank?   Probably not.  Don't act like you support more local bands than me because you saw Celebration a few times.  Everyone has seen Celebration a ton of times.

What you don't like Beach House?  Too popular for you?  I saw Beach House when they had 30 fans at their shows.  So yeah I supported them.   I love their music.  I have probably seen Wye Oak a dozen times.  I have even seen crappy bands like the Thrushes several times.