Author Topic: Record Store Day 4/19/14  (Read 44897 times)

hutch

Re: Record Store Day 4/19/14
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2014, 12:42:16 pm »

Well at least we can both agree on the greatness that is Neal Diamond. 

so great you can't even spell his name?

I was driving in the car last night with the wife and the Monkees came on the Sirius Radio and it was "A little bit me.. a little bit you".  And I was like Neil Diamond stole everything he ever did from a Monkees song.  Then I looked it up and he wrote it. 

we can agree on the greatness that is Neil Diamond

Hexenjagd

« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2014, 01:37:32 pm »
And Beach House bores me.  Nothing to do with their level of popularity.  Do you think I listen to music based off of how many people like them?  I don't.  One of my favorite artists is Neil Diamond, one of the greatest and most popular singer-songwriters/badasses of all time.

Did you go to his last show at Verizon?  It was awesome. 
Sadly, no.  But I did go to his 2008 Verizon Center show... It was a great time.
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-diamond/2008/verizon-center-washington-dc-33dd84dd.html

atomic

« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2014, 01:42:48 pm »
And Beach House bores me.  Nothing to do with their level of popularity.  Do you think I listen to music based off of how many people like them?  I don't.  One of my favorite artists is Neil Diamond, one of the greatest and most popular singer-songwriters/badasses of all time.

Did you go to his last show at Verizon?  It was awesome. 
Sadly, no.  But I did go to his 2008 Verizon Center show... It was a great time.
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/neil-diamond/2008/verizon-center-washington-dc-33dd84dd.html

Cool he did the Monkees song "I'm a believer".  Seems ole Neil wrote that one as well. 

Which reminds me: I  see Mickey Dolenz is touring and playing Rams Head Annapolis.  It is funny that Mickey Dolenz solo plays such smaller places than when he plays with Peter Tork and Michael Nessmith.  Other than Auntie Grizelda, I think the other two would be more detriment than benefit to have on stage.  Like now we have to suffer through  Nesmith singing a song. 

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2014, 01:52:22 pm »
You're being too rough. Tork sings on Shades of Grey which is one of the monkees best. Nessmith (who is the heir to the Liquid Paper fortune, I believe) rarely had toured with the monkees in the last twenty years but did contribute some good songs like Listen to the Band and Mary Mary.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2014, 02:03:13 pm »
You're being too rough. Tork sings on Shades of Grey which is one of the monkees best. Nessmith (who is the heir to the Liquid Paper fortune, I believe) rarely had toured with the monkees in the last twenty years but did contribute some good songs like Listen to the Band and Mary Mary.

Mary Mary is a good song.  He doesn't sing on it though.  He is not a good singer.  He didn't tour with the Monkees because he couldn't get along with Davey Jones.  He toured last tour the one without Dave Jones (RIP)

Michael Nesmith also made a forturne sueing PBS.  Evidently he is the luckiest guy in the world. 

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2014, 02:23:16 pm »

Mary Mary is a good song.  He doesn't sing on it though.  He is not a good singer.  He didn't tour with the Monkees because he couldn't get along with Davey Jones.  He toured last tour the one without Dave Jones (RIP)

Michael Nesmith also made a forturne sueing PBS.  Evidently he is the luckiest guy in the world. 
Nesmith doesn't sing on Mary Mary? I'll take your word for it.

He toured with them sometime in the early-2000s. I went to see it. I think he left halfway thru the tour tho.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2014, 02:31:12 pm »

Nesmith doesn't sing on Mary Mary? I'll take your word for it.

He toured with them sometime in the early-2000s. I went to see it. I think he left halfway thru the tour tho.

"On July 25, 1966, Nesmith produced and recorded the song for the The Monkees at Western Recorders in Hollywood, California. Micky Dolenz sang lead, and Mike used the crack group of session musicians known as The Wrecking Crew to beef up their sound, including; James Burton, Glen Campbell, Al Casey, Hal Blaine, Jim Gordon, Michael Deasy and Larry Knechtel. Their version was released on the album More of the Monkees in 1967 and became a number five hit in Australia in 1968."