Author Topic: Old news, but new news to me  (Read 23800 times)

atomic

Re: Old news, but new news to me
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2014, 04:13:43 pm »
Can someone please list what I can and cant wear?  What is offensive and culture misappropriation in regards to hats and clothes? 

Is it ok for me to wear one of my Afghan hats and scarves to a show? 

Headdresses are out... But that is cool because they would get in the way and block people's view. 

What about a crown of thorns? 

Can I dress as a Roman Centurion for Halloween?  Or is that culture ok to have as a costume?

And you all keep talking about the Redskins, or other Native American teams, but what about the Vikings?  Or Spartans?  Those are ok for mascots but not Native Americans? What about the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame?  I am half Irish, should I be offended and write a blog post about it? 

Also, my dog is offended at all of the dog mascots.  I AM NOT A MASCOT, he barked at me after seeing Georgetown on TV. 

(post was in jest but my point is, where is the line drawn?)

I don't think having native american as mascots is the problem.  The Landover NFL team has a racial slur as a name.  I am sure if they changed their name to an individual tribe name people would not be upset.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2014, 04:21:29 pm »
One of the complaints I see in regards to Cultural Misappropriation is "I am not a mascot".

http://iamnotamascot.blogspot.com/

atomic

« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2014, 04:43:37 pm »
So this guy is only the touring drummer for the Flaming Lips as someone else plays drums on the album.  His mom died when he was 6 due to some big accident at a hotel that killed over 100 people.  Maybe that is why he is so angry.  Anyway Wayne can hire who ever he wants to be the touring drummer and fire them anytime he wants.   

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2014, 09:28:17 pm »

K8teebug

Hexenjagd

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2014, 10:42:42 am »
As someone who is half Scottish (in addition to my Irish heritage), I find this to be offensive.

Really?  An Australian putting on blue face for a movie?  Disgusting. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2014, 11:58:55 am »
i dont think . . . mel gibson and the term, offensive, being in the same sentence, should be, that much of a shock.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2014, 12:05:35 pm »
As someone who is half Scottish (in addition to my Irish heritage), I find this to be offensive.

Really?  An Australian putting on blue face for a movie?  Disgusting. 

Offensive to smurfs all the world 'round.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2014, 07:41:56 pm »

Cultural Misappropriation hairstyle?