Author Topic: Fitness Thread  (Read 4801 times)

Re: Fitness Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 08:41:14 am »
Christ, this is about the least punk rock thread I've read in my entire life.
can't argue with you about that

but I retort with....

the Strummer Strategy was:

You really shouldn?t ask me about my training, regime, you know?.Okay, you want it, here it is: Drink 10 pints of beer the night before the race. Ya got that? And don?t run a single step at least four weeks before the race ? But make sure you put a warning in this article, ?Do not try this at home.? I mean, it works for me and Hunter Thompson, but it might not work for others. I can only tell you what I do.

slack

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 08:45:52 am »

Stay active.  Drink water.  Eat and drink moderately.  Sleep well.  That's the formula for me.

Mine is similar

Stay moderately active.  Drink coffee and beer exclusively.  Eat and drink to excess (I do eat very healthy tho).  Sleep 5-6 hours a night.  Chase kids around incessantly. Then somehow miraculously fit 100-200 miles of bike riding in a week. That's the formula for me.
slack

K8teebug

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 08:02:34 am »
I'm running Baltimore and MCM a week apart this year.  I was only going to run Baltimore, but a bunch of my friends are running their first marathon ever at MCM and I'm going to run with them to support.

Would also love to kick ass at the Baltimore 10 Miler next weekend, but we'll see.  It was a really crappy winter for training.

James Ford

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 08:46:10 am »
Wait, you're doing two FULL marathons in back to back weeks?

I did two marathons in the month of October in 2012, but I think they were three weeks apart. But eight days apart? That's pretty hardcore!

I was hoping to do a full Baltimore again this year, but my vertebrae compression in January put that in doubt. I'm back up to nine mile runs now, but it remains to be seen if I'll be able to build on that. My wife thinks I should just take it easy. But I probably won't if I feel good!

I'm running Baltimore and MCM a week apart this year.  I was only going to run Baltimore, but a bunch of my friends are running their first marathon ever at MCM and I'm going to run with them to support.

Would also love to kick ass at the Baltimore 10 Miler next weekend, but we'll see.  It was a really crappy winter for training.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 09:09:17 am »

That's badass!  Hal Higdon doesn't even map that out in his bridge plans!  Assume MCM will just be a fun run for you, and Baltimore will be your real race.

I'm signed up for Wineglass, and will likely do MCM too.  Have to defer Rehoboth due to a "mandatory" out-of-town wedding :(

K8teebug

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 01:19:48 pm »
Wait, you're doing two FULL marathons in back to back weeks?

I did two marathons in the month of October in 2012, but I think they were three weeks apart. But eight days apart? That's pretty hardcore!

I was hoping to do a full Baltimore again this year, but my vertebrae compression in January put that in doubt. I'm back up to nine mile runs now, but it remains to be seen if I'll be able to build on that. My wife thinks I should just take it easy. But I probably won't if I feel good!

Yes.  Two full marathons.  Back to back weeks.  I ran the back to back challenge in January about 2.5 months after MCM.  I ran the 1/2 in Jackson, MS on Saturday and then the full in Mobile, AL on Sunday (with food poisoning).  So, I figure if I train according to the Hanson Method again, run Baltimore as my goal race (but still take it slightly easy) then I can run MCM with my beginner marathon friends to beat the bridge.

I took it really really easy Jan-April and just kept a base of fitness to allow my body to rest.  So, I feel pretty confident I can do it.  We shall see.

K8teebug

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 01:20:57 pm »
I have also run both before, so they won't be a surprise to me course-wise, and I train in Howard County, where there are ample hills.

Wineglass is supposed to be really fun!  I hope to run that one year!