Author Topic: Food Coupons/Discount Codes  (Read 45363 times)

James Ford

Re: Food Coupons/Discount Codes
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 01:59:25 pm »
I actually wasn't putting him down. Just saying that he doesn't seem particularly "thrifty" if he's eating at Le Diplomat and drinking at Churchkey. It's fine if that's where he enjoys going. No judgement against him. Bravo to him for going where he enjoys going. but that's not "thrifty".

And bravo to my friends for eating/drinking as they wish, in a more thrifty manner.

I never said that thrifty was good or bad. Personally, I'd rather be thrifty when it comes to clothing or cars or by living in the burbs instead of the city rather than being thrifty on dining or vacations. I guess that makes me like Yada.

I guess sometimes the truth hurts?

If you're eating meals at Le Diplomat and  places of that ilk, you're not a thrifty eater.

A couple we're friends with both make six figure, do all their food shopping at Costco, get all their beer from Sam Adams mix packs, cut coupons out of the Sunday paper, and dine at ethnic restaurants in strip malls. That's eating thrifty.

James Ford you are so annoying when you get on your money management soapbox... just cut it out...nobody likes it...WTF? Who are you to tell people what to do with their money?

I just don't see what business it is of yours to determine whether other people are thrifty or not or EVEN whether being thrifty is a good thing or not...

Its just bad form.

It has nothing to do with the "truth" as you don't really know anything about people on this board and their finances but the bottom line is its just bad form...

Now if someone invites you to analyze or comment on their finances that's an entirely different matter.

Personally I find your attempts to analyze people's finances and parenting decisions to be offensive and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I get it where it comes from though...clearly some deepseated insecurities make you need to validate yourself with your great choices as opposed to others.... its a truly insecure weak man that only feels good about himself by putting others down.

Yada

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 02:02:32 pm »
I like to spend money it is fun.  I like expensive jeans, glasses, shirts, watches, cars.  I like to go to expensive restaurants and order expensive food.  I like staying in 5 star hotels when I am on vacation.    If I wasn't going to spend so much money I could get a job that is fun like being a lifeguard. 

out of curiosity, what expensive jeans do you buy? 

personally i buy one pair of raw denim a year.  i work outdoors about 50% of the time, so when my nice jeans get old, i rotate them to my work jeans rotation.  i'll have a pair of nice denim for 5+ years.  financially it probably works out to be a wash... lower quality jeans i blow through every 6 months or so.

I average a pair of Levis every few years or so and follow the same model of then wearing said jeans for working in the yard, etc.

James Ford

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 02:04:26 pm »
How do y'all feel about spot cleaning your Levis vs. putting them in the washing machine? I'm sure you can guess where I stand.

Yada

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2014, 02:09:14 pm »
How do y'all feel about spot cleaning your Levis vs. putting them in the washing machine? I'm sure you can guess where I stand.

I don't wash my jeans unless I spill something on them or if they smell like a campfire/some other substance.

James Ford

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2014, 02:10:11 pm »
You're so funny.

I probably have $1500 worth of beer in my basement. My daughter went to Europe three times and the Caribbean twice before the age of five (my wife was only working part time from home so it was mostly on my dime). My wife and daughter both have expensive Tae Kwon Do memberships. My wife singlehandedly keeps Whole Foods afloat.

Do you carry any credit card debt from month to month? If you do, that makes you stupid.

If you're eating meals at Le Diplomat and  places of that ilk, you're not a thrifty eater.

A couple we're friends with both make six figure, do all their food shopping at Costco, get all their beer from Sam Adams mix packs, cut coupons out of the Sunday paper, and dine at ethnic restaurants in strip malls. That's eating thrifty.

James Ford you are so annoying when you get on your money management soapbox... just cut it out...nobody likes it...WTF? Who are you to tell people what to do with their money?

what's your goal of being thrifty/frugal, JF? one can be frugal or thrifty for decades, and find themselves in a financial situation where they can start to splurge in certain areas, and continue to be thrifty in others.  i call this "investing in yourself".  sounds like yada has been plenty thrifty in his lifetime if he's allowed the luxuries you speak of, and you maybe should be asking him for advice rather than providing yours unsolicited.  

Yeah I worked with a guy likes James Ford.  Cheap as could be.  Drove around in some old clunker, would always bring his lunch couldn't spend money on anything and then got laid off.  It took him 9 months to get a job.  This was right after 9/11 when no one was hiring.  He was wiped out.

James Ford

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2014, 02:11:44 pm »
I neve wash mine either. See, we have more in common!

Though I'd never wear my nice Levis camping. That's what old jeans are for.

I don't wash my jeans unless I spill something on them or if they smell like a campfire/some other substance.

James Ford

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2014, 02:20:22 pm »
Please point out where I was giving Yada unsolicited advice. The three of us are probably more on the same page than not.

what's your goal of being thrifty/frugal, JF? one can be frugal or thrifty for decades, and find themselves in a financial situation where they can start to splurge in certain areas, and continue to be thrifty in others.  i call this "investing in yourself".  sounds like yada has been plenty thrifty in his lifetime if he's allowed the luxuries you speak of, and you maybe should be asking him for advice rather than providing yours unsolicited.  

stevewizzle

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2014, 02:21:00 pm »
I like to spend money it is fun.  I like expensive jeans, glasses, shirts, watches, cars.  I like to go to expensive restaurants and order expensive food.  I like staying in 5 star hotels when I am on vacation.    If I wasn't going to spend so much money I could get a job that is fun like being a lifeguard. 

personally i buy one pair of raw denim a year.  i work outdoors about 50% of the time, so when my nice jeans get old, i rotate them to my work jeans rotation.  i'll have a pair of nice denim for 5+ years.  financially it probably works out to be a wash... lower quality jeans i blow through every 6 months or so.

I average a pair of Levis every few years or so and follow the same model of then wearing said jeans for working in the yard, etc.

i've never found the right model with levi's, and my few explorations into their premium line have left me underwhelmed for the money. i tried to make them work for a few years, and every time i would buy i pair they would never last more than 3 months.  

Yada

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2014, 02:21:53 pm »

i've never found the right model with levi's, and my few explorations into their premium line have left me underwhelmed for the money. i tried to make them work for a few years, and every time i would buy i pair they would never last more than 3 months.  

you must be hung like walky.

James Ford

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2014, 02:25:32 pm »
Further investigation points to you being right.

I think the cheapest fill they had on 32 oz. when I was there was $15. And it was on something pedestrian.

I used mine way back when, and it was worth it then. I actually logged into my account recently, and found that my previous transaction hadn't invalidated my certificate. In essence, I could have a second (or maybe even more) certificate at no cost.

you will always be able to go back to the website and print yourself another coupon.  i don't believe that WF's computers are reporting back to the coupon website when a voucher is used.  you'll note there is a "mark this coupon as used" button - the website doesn't know if it's still valid.  if you print up another copy want walk into WF with it, it will come up as "used" at the WF register.

growler fills are stupid expensive at P Street.  the $7 discount on a 32 oz probably makes sense.  since i don't have a 32 and want one, i'll probably cash in on this at some point.

James Ford

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2014, 02:27:03 pm »
I never found the right model for Levis until I found the 514 line. Where were they all my life?

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2014, 02:30:01 pm »

Really not thrifty in my eyes
they don't value food that tastes good, is nutritious, free from toxic things and doesn't destroy the environment shipping it from Vietnam/Chile
They kinda like beer, but don't really value quality or variety ...or a good backstory
Cutting coupons... I bet that if they did the ROI, it really wouldn't work out for them
1. coupons are usually for crap, processed food....so crap
2. they only usually are only for a few items in the store, where the rest of the items are more...so are you saving money?
3. sometimes you have to go to multiple stores to reap the benefits...so gas and time

In my opinion...they are not thrify.  They are cheap, with poor taste in food and beer (and the environment) and they are really like to waste hours and gas to save a few dollars

so go for it...emulate them
slack

stevewizzle

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2014, 02:30:10 pm »
Please point out where I was giving Yada unsolicited advice. The three of us are probably more on the same page than not.

it's indirect, but it's there.  you're using a different vehicle for your financial preaching here... using a third party for an example of what you think it the correct definition of thrifty.  maybe your six figure friends have six figure jobs because they spent their whole life not being thrifty, and now they have to because they lived outside their means their whole life or had too many kids, etc.. the fault in all of your financial discussion is that nothing is as black as white as you describe it as. correlation does not imply causation, and all that jazz.

edit: also, everything sidehatch said.

atomic

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2014, 02:34:37 pm »

Do you carry any credit card debt from month to month? If you do, that makes you stupid.

I have no credit card debt.  I don't charge credit cards and pay them off at the end of the month either.  I don't spend more than I have in my checking account.  I usually put whatever I have left over into my savings account each pay period.  I have a couple of thousand every two weeks to spend on whatever I want.  Usually I end up with a surplus.  

I pay more than my minimum car payments each month.   I put the max into my 401k.  But if I see something I want to buy I buy it.  Is this some sort of contest?

James Ford

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2014, 02:34:48 pm »
Now who is the one who is being a judgmental prick?  ;)

I never claimed that their lifestyle was better or worse than Yada's. Just that they likely spend far less on food. And for the record, our food spending habits are probably closer to Yada's than to our friends.

Really not thrifty in my eyes
they don't value food that tastes good, is nutritious, free from toxic things and doesn't destroy the environment shipping it from Vietnam/Chile
They kinda like beer, but don't really value quality or variety ...or a good backstory
Cutting coupons... I bet that if they did the ROI, it really wouldn't work out for them
1. coupons are usually for crap, processed food....so crap
2. they only usually are only for a few items in the store, where the rest of the items are more...so are you saving money?
3. sometimes you have to go to multiple stores to reap the benefits...so gas and time

In my opinion...they are not thrify.  They are cheap, with poor taste in food and beer (and the environment) and they are really like to waste hours and gas to save a few dollars

so go for it...emulate them

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:38:33 pm by James Ford »