Author Topic: Virgin FreeFest 2014  (Read 17596 times)

atomic

Re: Virgin FreeFest 2014
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 02:27:45 pm »
I saw them at Coachella in April and walked right up front.  All the kids at the festival were watching Chromeo or waiting for Girl Talk. 

As those acts are actually fun to see live.

bearman🐻

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 02:53:18 pm »
My opinion/request stands. Club show all the way

I may be wrong, but as a member of Guns'n'Roses, Tommy Stinson is on some kind of "retainer" agreement. No tours, he can only perform festivals/one-offs and I think that's why they haven't done any clubs. As much as I'd love to see the 'Mats, No Bob Stinson no true 'Mats. But that being said, if they were playing at a festival that other bands I wanted to see were playing, of course I'd check them out.

They were the worst live band ever with Bob Stinson in the band.  I don't if they are better without him but they couldn't be worse.   Last band I would want to see live again.

False.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMSaSJ_9xwo

atomic

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 02:56:44 pm »

I may be wrong, but as a member of Guns'n'Roses, Tommy Stinson is on some kind of "retainer" agreement. No tours, he can only perform festivals/one-offs and I think that's why they haven't done any clubs. As much as I'd love to see the 'Mats, No Bob Stinson no true 'Mats. But that being said, if they were playing at a festival that other bands I wanted to see were playing, of course I'd check them out.

They were the worst live band ever with Bob Stinson in the band.  I don't if they are better without him but they couldn't be worse.   Last band I would want to see live again.

False.

I don't need to see a youtube video.  I saw them live at the end of 1984 at the old 930 club.  I walked out halfway through as none of the songs were recongizable.  I was one of the last ones to do so.

atomic

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 03:01:14 pm »

Maybe Guns and Roses should have the Replacements as an opener and Tommy could play in both bands.  I am guessing at this point "Guns and Roses" are pretty awful live.  I haven't seen them since 1988 so I don't know for sure.  So they seem like it would be a good match.

bearman🐻

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 03:02:18 pm »

False.

I don't need to see a youtube video.  I saw them live at the end of 1984 at the old 930 club.  I walked out halfway through as none of the songs were recongizable.  I was one of the last ones to do so.

I still say that Bob Stinson wrote/performed some of the very best solos that made them a great band that made some classic LPs, and it wasn't the same after he was fired. And his demise is sad. That being said, "Sorry Ma", "Stink", "Let It Be" are all some of my favorite music of the 1980's.

atomic

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 03:11:18 pm »

False.

I still say that Bob Stinson wrote/performed some of the very best solos that made them a great band that made some classic LPs, and it wasn't the same after he was fired. And his demise is sad. That being said, "Sorry Ma", "Stink", "Let It Be" are all some of my favorite music of the 1980's.

He didn't do the solo on "I will dare".  Those albums are pretty good.  Especially "Let it Be".  Also,  I like "Please to meet me" better than "Tim" for what its worth.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:14:24 pm by atomic »

bearman🐻

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 03:32:47 pm »
He didn't do the solo on "I will dare".  Those albums are pretty good.  Especially "Let it Be".  Also,  I like "Please to meet me" better than "Tim" for what its worth.

Peter Buck from REM played on "I Will Dare". Westerberg played mandolin.

Bob Stinson is responsible for a lot of the brilliant guitar on most of their classic songs: "Shiftless When Idle", "Customer", "Johnny's Gonna Die", "Color Me Impressed", "Sixteen Blue", "Unsatisfied", "Bastards of Young". Westerberg is a great songwriter, but you can't really compare later records to the stuff they did prior to "Pleased to Meet Me" (which is a good LP, but if "Tim" had better production it'd beat the pants off PTMM).

Yada

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 04:06:16 pm »

False.

atomic saw the Mats' in 1983 and thinks this is a terrible idea.

like clockwork.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 04:57:03 pm »
I saw them at Coachella in April and walked right up front.  All the kids at the festival were watching Chromeo or waiting for Girl Talk. 

As those acts are actually fun to see live.
Zing
‼‼?‼‼

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 09:46:08 am »
Is September 20th the consensus for the date of Freefest? The month is getting filled with amazing shows and I'm attempting to manage which I'll be attending.

(Input from Seth greatly appreciated)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 09:47:31 am »
Is it happening?
(_|_)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 12:15:13 pm »
Last year, the date was announced on 7/22 and the lineup a week later.
😐 🎶

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 03:25:44 pm »

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 03:07:33 am »

rich_WDC

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2014, 02:54:43 pm »
Hmmm.  and now Sept 20th is taken at Mweather

SFX-LIC & GLOW DC Present:
Life in Color :: Washington D.C. - Baltimore