Author Topic: Just Postponed (or Cancelled)  (Read 282909 times)

Starsky

Re: Just Postponed (or Cancelled)
« Reply #1365 on: September 16, 2022, 02:34:44 pm »
Is this a joke to you Sweetwater? I mean just $25 times 1000 is a lot morethan$500 even after costs

But what about your fans?!?

I hope you are trying to be funny

These guys make good money and musicians need to honor their professional commitments. That is rule #1.

« Reply #1366 on: September 16, 2022, 02:35:58 pm »
how do Morrissey and peter murphy play in to that rule #1
slack

Starsky

« Reply #1367 on: September 16, 2022, 02:36:30 pm »
Peter Murphy is dead to me.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1368 on: September 16, 2022, 02:44:04 pm »
Well then they should tell us…

funny how you wrote above,  "I think bands should then say it’s personal , they don’t owe you anything, and it’s none of your business."  by not giving details, they are implicitly saying "none of your business".

Pick a different career if you want to cancel….

maybe this is the root of the issue: you think they want to cancel.  "hey guys, i'm not feeling that baltimore show... who's in for cancelling the whole gig?  we could go mini-golfing instead?"

look at the words they used: "It is, with regret that we have to announce...", "in this instance, unfortunately have to take priority over the shows", "As a band we always aim to do everything we set out to, but sometimes the circumstances just don’t allow this. We’re sorry to anyone who was hoping to see us, and we’ll do our very best to make it back to these regions in the near future."

no band wants to cancel a booked show.  it's their passion and in some cases their livelihood.  they know it turns off fans and sour relationships with promoters, venues, etc.  it's a tough decision, but sometimes life requires tough decisions.

It’s a cliche: the show must go on.

i strongly disagree with you here.  there are instances when the show must be cancelled. 

your absolutism and lack of empathy/understanding is kinda surprising.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #1369 on: September 16, 2022, 02:48:45 pm »
Listen Sweets you go for the Nobel Peace Prize…I will continue rocking out.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1370 on: September 16, 2022, 02:56:02 pm »
Is this a joke to you Sweetwater? I mean just $25 times 1000 is a lot morethan$500 even after costs

this decision was taken by the band.  the band looks at its own finances when making the decision, not those of the venue, the sponsors, the food truck outside, etc.  they will (or should) consider the impact of those other folks on their own finances ("if we burn this venue, will they ever invite us back again?") but they understandably make decisions based on their own bottom line - which is a hell of a lot less than the door total described above.  and sometimes a band will decide to take the hit, because they have to. 

(fyi, ottobar has a capacity of 350)

These guys make good money and musicians need to honor their professional commitments. That is rule #1.

i have no idea what the finances of the VB are like, but saying that bands that play the ottobar "make good money" is going to be stretch 9 times out of 10.  i don't need to tell you of all people about the economics of touring.  bands playing clubs at $25 a head are payin' the bills at best.  these ain't no millionaires pissing across their champagne moats, laughing at the fans holding cancelled tickets.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1371 on: September 16, 2022, 02:57:25 pm »
Listen Sweets you go for the Nobel Peace Prize…I will continue rocking out.

actually, you stay home and fume over the audacity of a band daring to cancel a show (HOW DARE THEY NOT PERFORM FOR ME)... i'll continue doing my thing with much lower blood pressure ;D
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #1372 on: September 16, 2022, 02:58:58 pm »
You cannot be serious

Starsky

« Reply #1373 on: September 16, 2022, 03:01:14 pm »
Ok actually maybe Peter Murphy is not dead to me cause he signed my Bela Lugosi’s Dead 12” and was pretty nice to me

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1374 on: September 16, 2022, 03:01:53 pm »
You cannot be serious

excellent comeback.  i cede to your unassailable argument. 

how could i have been so wrong.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #1375 on: September 16, 2022, 03:03:14 pm »
I thought it was pretty good for not having read anything you wrote…

« Reply #1376 on: September 16, 2022, 03:07:03 pm »
so the VBoys actually get a fairly decent draw
the black cat show was probably 80% full and made a killing in merch

it wasn't scheduled at the otto bar but Union Craft Brewery, so really have no idea what the capacity is
I suspect it's more than 350, but don't really know

don't remeber what shame said, but they left it with
We love you guys, and hope to make it up to you in the near future.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1377 on: September 16, 2022, 03:22:55 pm »
I thought it was pretty good for not having read anything you wrote…

excellent shoring up of your arguments - "i have proven my points against yours, even tho i don't know what your points are".

also easily disproved by the fact that you directly replied to me, and even named me.  how trumpian of you... "i don't even know the guy!"
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #1378 on: September 16, 2022, 03:44:45 pm »
Lordie

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #1379 on: September 16, 2022, 03:45:11 pm »
At the Black Cat show, Shame stated they just recorded a new album and will be back soon.  I think the cancellations may have more to do with mixing/finalizing the new album and setting up a new tour in support of it.  Maybe they had to book studio time for additional recording, overdubs, etc. and the only time available was mid October.  Would explain why only the last shows were cancelled. 

But what the fuck do I know.