Author Topic: Just Postponed (or Cancelled)  (Read 273817 times)

ggw

Re: Just Postponed (or Cancelled)
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2017, 01:26:07 pm »
the twol bands that did well after changing lead singers are AC/DC and Joy Division/New Order...

Iron Maiden
Black Flag

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #226 on: February 10, 2017, 01:29:03 pm »
Black Flag
Damn, should've thought of that one.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #227 on: February 10, 2017, 01:56:35 pm »
the twol bands that did well after changing lead singers are AC/DC and Joy Division/New Order...

Iron Maiden
Black Flag

I don't count either of these.. as far as I'm concerned their singers were Bruce Dickinson and Henry Rollins..I don't beleive Black Flag ever even cut an album with Keith Morris.

« Reply #228 on: February 10, 2017, 02:00:16 pm »
Certainly we have some closeted Van Halen fans on this board. Oh, what sad times these are when passing ruffians can make mention of different lead singers of Van Halen without aging rock fans coming to blows. There is a pestilence on this board, nothing is sacred.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #229 on: February 10, 2017, 02:10:17 pm »
Van Halen died as a band when Sammy Hagar joined.. I remember it well... Van Halen was the hottest band on the planet about 1985 but when 5150 came out it really divided people... then the Police came out with Wrapped Around Your Finger '86.. it was a punishing double body blow we are still trying to recover from...

Relaxer

« Reply #230 on: February 10, 2017, 02:27:02 pm »
Dude, Maiden totally counts, they made two records with Paul Di'Anno, one of them a minor classic.

Also, in my opinion, Black Sabbath's best album from front to back is Heaven & Hell with Ronnie James Dio

oword

« Reply #231 on: February 10, 2017, 02:30:05 pm »
I'd argue Van Halen aside, my two serious suggestions of Genesis and Faith No More are undeniable. Both bands undeniably "did well" after their lead singer change, which was Hutch's stated metric.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #232 on: February 10, 2017, 02:37:18 pm »
Dude, Maiden totally counts, they made two records with Paul Di'Anno, one of them a minor classic.

Also, in my opinion, Black Sabbath's best album from front to back is Heaven & Hell with Ronnie James Dio

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!

hutch

« Reply #233 on: February 10, 2017, 02:38:12 pm »
I'd argue Van Halen aside, my two serious suggestions of Genesis and Faith No More are undeniable. Both bands undeniably "did well" after their lead singer change, which was Hutch's stated metric.

Genesis is a good one....

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #234 on: February 10, 2017, 02:43:01 pm »
Am I allowed, not to like GWAR any more, since the original lead singer is not with us?

I think "lead growler" is more like it.

But there are plenty of bands who have lost their lead singers, and still managed to hold on:

Ummm....

Chicago
Pink Floyd
Genesis
Journey
Queen

OK, that's pretty weak...

Genesis is a good one....

Thanks!

Kubacheck

« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2017, 04:23:54 pm »
does the Yardbirds morphing into Led Zeppelin after Keith Relf left count??

vansmack

« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2017, 04:50:23 pm »
Certainly we have some closeted Van Halen fans on this board. Oh, what sad times these are when passing ruffians can make mention of different lead singers of Van Halen without aging rock fans coming to blows. There is a pestilence on this board, nothing is sacred.

I've got no problem admitting to being a Van Halen fan and seeing both Hagar and Roth versions multiple times. 

I like both versions of the band, but rarely cross listen.  It's either shuffling the first 6 albums or the next 3, but never both and NEVER anything from Balance onward.
27>34

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #237 on: February 10, 2017, 06:49:13 pm »

Where to start.....

Maiden was never any good, for starters.

While H&H is in my top 5 for sure...no chance it was their best.

Carry om.....

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #238 on: February 10, 2017, 08:46:36 pm »
I've seen Maiden 6 times. 4 times too many.

hutch

« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2017, 10:59:18 pm »
Iron Maiden is great...end of discussion.

I've seen them once and that is enough.. some bands I'm not a huge fan of but recognize their greatness..... I like Paul DiAnno or whatever fine but when I think of Maiden I think of Bruce Dickinson and his operatic wailing...

I've never gotten into Dio in any of his bands...not sure why.. the idea that Heaven or Hell is better than Vol 4 or Master of Reality is really amusing to me...

I would have gone to see Sabbath finally (I saw them with Dio but that is different... I had a great seat... Iommi and Geezer are total beasts... so awesome.. I was so close to Iommi..that was a great bill with Motorhead and Priest... I think Priest closed which was kind of crazy) this last go around but they really ticked me off the way they treated the drummer....it was shameful.. Sharon is just a plain old evil hag.