Author Topic: Just Postponed (or Cancelled)  (Read 273848 times)

hutch

Re: Just Postponed (or Cancelled)
« Reply #435 on: March 10, 2020, 05:42:33 pm »
The problem is the travel related to these festivals

No it's not.  The problem is people's irrational fear.

Nope...wrong...the problem is you get one person traveling from an area like Italy and next thing you know it’s spreading

If it was just local concertgoers in an area with no cases  it’s not a problem...the issue with these big events are people coming from all over
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 05:44:17 pm by hutch »

K8teebug

« Reply #436 on: March 11, 2020, 09:18:20 am »
It's basic public health. The virus is not contained. Next is trying to mitigate. Keep it from spreading further than it already has.

bearman🐻

« Reply #437 on: March 11, 2020, 09:35:06 am »
I was in contact with someone who is now self-quarantined because they had dinner with someone who has coronavirus. Taking precautions is necessary, but do you trust that the stranger near you washed their hands well enough? I don't. Ask Italy if they wish they had taken stronger precautions at an earlier time.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #438 on: March 11, 2020, 09:53:51 am »
The problem is the travel related to these festivals

No it's not.  The problem is people's irrational fear.

You are 100% missing the picture.

If as many people got COVID-19 as get the flu, there would be 6 - 10 million deaths per year.  It is only a matter of time - perhaps a few years - before COVID-19 gets to that level, but most scientists think it will.  There is strong evidence to suggest that this coronavirus is more transmissible than the flu. Its a race to develop a vaccine before it kills too many people. 

Regardless of any of that, think of it this way:

If everyone participated in a 100% quarantine for 8-weeks, the virus would die on the vine and would cease to be a problem.  Since that isn't realistic, the best we can do is limit the spread of the virus by a combination of social distancing, isolation and quarantine.

Cancelling large and moderately sized gatherings is an important step towards that goal. Since we can't and realistically won't cancel everything, the spread of the virus won't stop. We can slow it down by canceling or deferring some things, by washing hands, by teleworking etc. But ultimately the virus will spread to the same number of people. These strategies will keep the number of infected at any one time to a relative low, but lengthen the duration of the outbreak.  The benefit is that our medical infrastructure won't be overtaxed, and will be able to treat the (lower number of) patients.

Ultimately we need the vaccine. Until then, expect your life to change.

hutch

« Reply #439 on: March 11, 2020, 10:15:48 am »
I am fine with cancelling everything if that’s what professionals think is necessary

I am just explaining why these big festivals with lots of people coming from everywhere are the first to be canceled..

« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:17:59 am by hutch »

K8teebug

« Reply #440 on: March 11, 2020, 12:05:44 pm »
I was in contact with someone who is now self-quarantined because they had dinner with someone who has coronavirus. Taking precautions is necessary, but do you trust that the stranger near you washed their hands well enough? I don't. Ask Italy if they wish they had taken stronger precautions at an earlier time.

Hope you're ok.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #441 on: March 11, 2020, 01:39:42 pm »
😐 🎶

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #442 on: March 11, 2020, 03:41:35 pm »
Adam Sandler
Maryland Live
is off.

hutch

« Reply #443 on: March 11, 2020, 04:48:07 pm »
All IMP shows until March 31

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #444 on: March 11, 2020, 04:49:34 pm »

Jesus

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #445 on: March 11, 2020, 05:01:52 pm »
For serious? Wow!!
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #446 on: March 11, 2020, 05:07:03 pm »
Yup...I hope Sidehatch is aware and isn’t scooping up cheap tickets on reseller sites

« Reply #447 on: March 11, 2020, 05:11:25 pm »
Yup...I hope Sidehatch is aware and isn’t scooping up cheap tickets on reseller sites
glad I didn't pull the trigger...was waiting until day of
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #448 on: March 11, 2020, 05:13:24 pm »
Ive been to hundreds of shows in my life but Beach Bunny is officially the first one cancelled twice.
LVMH

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #449 on: March 11, 2020, 05:15:31 pm »
not that I don't trust everyone on this board to the fullest extent  ;D,  but where is the official announcement on IMP shows?