Author Topic: Just Postponed (or Cancelled)  (Read 273170 times)

Space Freely

Re: Just Postponed (or Cancelled)
« Reply #585 on: March 23, 2020, 06:21:48 pm »
Also figure on an extra 500 suicides a year if we have another Great Depression.

They found that those rates reached a record high during 1932, when there were 22 suicides for every 100,000 people, up from 18 per 100,000 in 1928

https://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/2011/04/suicide-rates-rise-and-fall-economy-say-cdc-researchers/

i'll take those 500 suicides over the hundreds of thousands to millions of death projected if we do nothing.  500 would be a rounding error.

You're assuming older people will make rational choices. I just got off the phone with my mom, who is going shopping our of her apartment for the third day in a row, this time to get dog food "because my neighbor just stopped by and told me the store is getting low on dog food." She also told me that when the develop a vaccine "I aint taking none, I'm wise enough to know that vaccines are bad for you, I have a friend with three kids who don't have any vaccines, and they're in perfect health.

I've been out running and biking for the last week, plenty of older people out walking the trails. I don't really see anyone staying in more.

You're also assuming there's not going to be rioting in the streets when there's 30% unemployment and people run out of money and food. I guess as long as they keep a six foot social distance while they're rioting, we'll be fine.

The infection rate keeps doubling every two or three days. When is all the social distancing going to slow it down?

Sorry to post something from the NY Post, but in this case it's just quoting the WHO.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/social-distancing-wont-stop-accelerating-coronavirus-pandemic-who-warns/
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 06:24:16 pm by Space Freely »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #586 on: March 23, 2020, 06:36:21 pm »
Well, I'm just glad that forum.930.com is the center of rational thought for this global pandemic.

hutch

« Reply #587 on: March 23, 2020, 06:38:38 pm »
Without live shows though what exactly is left for us to talk about?

I am definitely bummed out

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #588 on: March 23, 2020, 06:49:15 pm »
You're assuming older people will make rational choices. I just got off the phone with my mom, who is going shopping our of her apartment for the third day in a row, this time to get dog food "because my neighbor just stopped by and told me the store is getting low on dog food." She also told me that when the develop a vaccine "I aint taking none, I'm wise enough to know that vaccines are bad for you, I have a friend with three kids who don't have any vaccines, and they're in perfect health.

dude, you work in stats.  n=1.

my in-laws are taking this very seriously.  they haven't been in public in 2 weeks.  i do all their shopping for them.  they no longer interact with my kids, even though they live next door.  also a case of n=1 - but it offsets yours ;D

I've been out running and biking for the last week, plenty of older people out walking the trails. I don't really see anyone staying in more.

how many people do you see in?  are you going from house to house peering in windows and taking count?

so there are hundreds of people on the trails and in the parks.  what about the hundreds of thousands that are inside?

as long as folks never get more than 6 feet close to each other, and spend most of their time more than that apart, going outside should be OK.

You're also assuming there's not going to be rioting in the streets when there's 30% unemployment and people run out of money and food. I guess as long as they keep a six foot social distance while they're rioting, we'll be fine.

americans are way too lazy to riot like that.  a few anarchists will show up, and a some disaffected youth.

The infection rate keeps doubling every two or three days. When is all the social distancing going to slow it down?

this is a total fallacy: "if the spreading doesn't stop, then social distancing isn't working".  if everyone was going about their lives like before, we'd be doubling every day.

Sorry to post something from the NY Post, but in this case it's just quoting the WHO.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/social-distancing-wont-stop-accelerating-coronavirus-pandemic-who-warns/

did you bother to read the article?  the WHO, like other authorities, are not saying that social distancing will STOP the spread of the virus.  it will merely SLOW IT DOWN.  and we need that extra time to spread out the infection, because everyone getting infected at once = hospitals overwhelmed = lots of people die, including the not-so-old (recycling!).
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #589 on: March 23, 2020, 06:56:11 pm »
All right, I'm doing my part. And my brother (who has no kids), who just got laid off from his factory job but has a wife who has an essential job, is doing his part. But how long are you going to make his co-workers, who may have mouths to feed at home with no second income, stay out of their jobs?

I think we need stronger measures, for short, predetermined amount of time. Like Italy has done for two weeks. Can't close all nonessential businesses for more than eight weeks at a time.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 06:58:04 pm by Space Freely »

Yada

« Reply #590 on: March 23, 2020, 07:06:50 pm »
No way space has life insurance. I can vaguely remember this argument from a very long time ago.

His child will get his CD collection and infected stouts.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #591 on: March 23, 2020, 07:13:18 pm »
Dollars vs. deaths is the sickening choice created by coronavirus

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/politics/what-matters-march-23/index.html

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #592 on: March 23, 2020, 07:19:27 pm »
Well, I'm just glad that forum.930.com is the center of rational thought for this global pandemic.
I LOLed so hard at this.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #593 on: March 23, 2020, 07:20:39 pm »
from an ER doctor in London:

Gary Bacon
My medical advise to patients normally - eat well, exercise amongst others.
What they do - stay at home on sofa, watching Netflix and play video games.

Urgent medical advise during quarantine- stay on sofa, watch Netflix, play video games
What they do - exercise out of the house en masse

The stupidity and selfishness of the public’s actions is astounding. ITU is at saturation point, one London trust has described A & E as a war zone and they will have no more ventilators by next week.

Most people I know who see this are behaving responsibly during this (although not all), if this post only gets a couple of people to change their actions, it will save lives. I’m not one for slogans/ hashtags but staythefuckhome please, unless food / exercise. Feel free to share xx
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #594 on: March 23, 2020, 07:23:18 pm »
No way space has life insurance. I can vaguely remember this argument from a very long time ago.

His child will get his CD collection and infected stouts.

1% of 50-59 year olds are dying, and they're not the ones who have run 17 marathons and never smoked a cigarette. Plus, her college fund will send her to a good state school, if Bernie doesn't let her go for free.

Your life insurance company will find a way to screw you over, it's what insurance companies do.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #595 on: March 23, 2020, 07:41:35 pm »
I think we need stronger measures, for short, predetermined amount of time. Like Italy has done for two weeks. Can't close all nonessential businesses for more than eight weeks at a time.

this idea has merit.  2 weeks isn't quite enough, since that's the currently-believed incubation period, but 3 weeks should tamp it down.  the problem is that we would need to do that everywhere, at the same time.  otherwise you clear infection out of your city/state/country, only to have it roar back as soon as you import the virus from somewhere that didn't also impose a strict quarantine.  then you start going into cycles of quarantine, then calm, then raging virus, then quarantine, ad infinitum.
<sig>

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #596 on: March 23, 2020, 07:51:22 pm »
😐 🎶

Space Freely

« Reply #597 on: March 23, 2020, 07:58:31 pm »

this idea has merit.  2 weeks isn't quite enough, since that's the currently-believed incubation period, but 3 weeks should tamp it down.  the problem is that we would need to do that everywhere, at the same time.  otherwise you clear infection out of your city/state/country, only to have it roar back as soon as you import the virus from somewhere that didn't also impose a strict quarantine.  then you start going into cycles of quarantine, then calm, then raging virus, then quarantine, ad infinitum.

yep

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #598 on: March 23, 2020, 08:00:37 pm »
and for those who are saying "i'm young, i have good lungs, if i get sick it won't be worse than the flu" - first, you can't be 100% sure it will be mild (ex: 21 y.o. soccer coach who looked healthy; had un-diagnosed cancer and died from covid-19 complications); and second, covid-19 cases are about to take over hospitals - the entire hospital.  unless the curve is flattened, you better hope during the crisis you don't need any hospital services because it'll be all hands on deck fighting the virus.

broke a bone?  heart attack?  car accident?  about to give birth?  stroke?  need an amputation?  good luck, you may or may not get treatment any time soon.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #599 on: March 23, 2020, 08:11:58 pm »

yep

a case study: Hong Kong appeared to have the coronavirus under control, then it let its guard down
<sig>