Author Topic: Last thoughts on Woody Guthrie  (Read 17841 times)

Re: Last thoughts on Woody Guthrie
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 04:10:58 pm »
I know
and are the ones with 4 dots more important than the ones with 3 dots?
slack

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 04:13:31 pm »
What's with all the ellipses...?
He forgot to log in as Walkonby.
LVMH

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 04:15:12 pm »
I know
A four dot "ellipsis" indicates that the omitted material included at least one full sentence.
LVMH

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 04:26:17 pm »
As a veteran I am proud to have served.  Your entire post makes one rather fallacious premise, that being that every armed conflict ever fought was for 'no good reason'.  (Not to mention the 'we can't wait to get into the next war' comment.)  You are fully entitled to hold that belief.  Protecting your right to do so is one of the reasons that I served.  You are very welcome.

and I thank you of course.. but I would argue that not putting you in harms way for no good reason is the ultimate thank you or did you miss that point?... one can still be a veteran without being sent to die or lose a leg for no reason...

the usual "we honor your service clap clap" is a cheap platitude compared to say paying for your health care needs when you return from war....

Again you are making false assumptions, many of them.

I would like to know what are these false assumptions... please tell me...cause, trust me, I want to be wrong!

#1 putting military in harms way is (always) for no good reason.
#2 (implied) that the only thing the military is for is fighting wars.
#3 'we' can't wait to get into another war.

That's more than enough.

On a side note, I always thought the ultimate thank you would be for people in this country to go out and make the most of their lives.  To bust their asses to the best of their ability and make something of themselves.  Not saying that the USA is perfect and not at all saying 'love it or leave it' but the gift (for lack of better term) that those in the service give to the civilian world is the ability to live as you want and to do/say what you please.  Yeah I know some people have it rougher than others and some people get born into a better situation and all, but we all have the opportunity to make what we want of ourselves.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 04:34:00 pm »
I know
A four dot "ellipsis" indicates that the omitted material included at least one full sentence.

The ellipses is made up of three SPACED ellipses points.  When used at the end of a sentence, a fourth ellipses point is used to indicate the period at the end of the sentence and there is no space between the last word of the sentence and the first ellipses point.  That is what I recall anyway!
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 04:42:03 pm »

#1 putting military in harms way is (always) for no good reason.

I will go over them step by step but they are big questions..and thank you for raising them..

Name the last time we put the military in a war for a good reason?.... limited UN or NATO missions such as Kosovo I could argue get a pass so please don't bring these up but where are all these good examples of worthwhile wars?

Would you argue that World War I was a good use of American lives? How about World War II? Ever imagine what would have happened to the Soviet Union if we had not interfered on their side? How about Iraq? How is that going?

The last worthwhile war I can think of was the US-Mexican War because at least we stole most of the western United States out of it and hey we all like California.. Certainly the War of 1812 was worthwhile and maybe the one clearcut example since independence of fighting for our "freedom"... but other than those notable exceptions not sure there are that many examples.....Fighting a war over the Phillipines???? Once we won we had no earthly idea what to do.. I'm sure we'll agree that Grenada was not a war...Korea? Did we actually accomplish anything there? I think its pretty much agreed nothing ended up changing there...other than the bodies we left on the ground that is...

hutch

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 04:46:32 pm »
?We must openly acknowledge past mistakes, and learn from them, because that is how we avoid repeating them...We must always question our policies that send our citizens to war, because our nation?s policies must always be worthy of the sacrifices we ask of the men and women who defend our country." -- Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, November 11, 2014.

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 04:51:13 pm »
I know

The ellipses is made up of three SPACED ellipses points.  When used at the end of a sentence, a fourth ellipses point is used to indicate the period at the end of the sentence and there is no space between the last word of the sentence and the first ellipses point.  That is what I recall anyway!
That's correct.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 08:27:01 pm »
hey one in four or one in three homeless men are veterans but what the fuck we honor their service and clap for them at ballgames... and post nice things about them on facebook..

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2011/jan/01/texas-veterans-commission/veterans-commission-representative-says-one-three-/

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 08:28:52 pm »
Are you implying that the homeless can't have facebook? Because that's just ignorant.
LVMH

azaghal1981

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 10:23:03 pm »
I'll just leave this here.

And yeah, everything Hutch said.
احمد

ggw

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 11:09:16 pm »
When Dave Grohl took the stage with Zac Brown I was hoping it was for this, but that probably wouldn't have been appropriate for the occasion. 

Venerable Bede

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 03:40:41 am »
I find it remarkably odd that the US wars you cite as somewhat justifiable are the War of 1812 and the Mexican-American War.  WWII was about lots of things, the least of which was to stop a holocaust- our sitting idly by while Hitler murdered undesirables, while Rwanda happened, while Serbs massacred Bosnians, if stepping in to stop these from happening is wrong, then I am truly sorry for you.

"the good man should be both a strong and a brave man; that is, he should be able to fight, he should be able to serve his country as a soldier, if the need arises. There are well-meaning philosophers who declaim against the unrighteousness of war. They are right only if they lay all their emphasis upon the unrighteousness. War is a dreadful thing, and unjust war is a crime against humanity. But it is such a crime because it is unjust, not because it is a war. The choice must ever be in favor of righteousness, and this is whether the alternative be peace or whether the alternative be war. The question must not be merely, Is there to be peace or war? The question must be, Is it right to prevail? Are the great laws of righteousness once more to be fulfilled? And the answer from a strong and virile people must be "Yes," whatever the cost. Every honorable effort should always be made to avoid war, just as every honorable effort should always be made by the individual in private life to keep out of a brawl, to keep out of trouble; but no self-respecting individual, no self-respecting nation, can or ought to submit to wrong."  Theodore Roosevelt

OU812

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 07:29:19 am »
When Dave Grohl took the stage with Zac Brown I was hoping it was for this, but that probably wouldn't have been appropriate for the occasion. 
fortunate son is just as blatantly anti-war and anti-patriotism but it made the cut somehow

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 09:40:10 am »
fortunate son is just as blatantly anti-war and anti-patriotism but it made the cut somehow

Nah, Fortunate Son is pro-soldier, so it can't be anti-patriotic.