Author Topic: Last thoughts on Woody Guthrie  (Read 17842 times)

gaaaaaaaaah

Re: Last thoughts on Woody Guthrie
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 09:59:08 am »
but its about how the people who promote war arent the ones who have to fight it. doesnt really jive with the whole rah rah patriotism thing at all.

its not anti soldier but its weird that it made the cut to play at that concert

i didnt watch so i have no clue how it was received in person

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 10:03:25 am »
I thought the event was supposed to be for the soldiers and veterans, and not rah rah patriotism.

And shouldn't you be complaining about Born in the USA, too?

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 10:06:21 am »
im not complaining. fortunate son's one of my all time favorite songs. i love that they played it, im just surprised they were allowed

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 10:10:19 am »
im not complaining. fortunate son's one of my all time favorite songs. i love that they played it, im just surprised they were allowed

Of course they were allowed.  That's what makes America great.

ggw

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 11:20:35 am »
The only problem is there is absolutely nothing unpatriotic about ?Fortunate Son.? In fact, ?Fortunate Son? is extremely patriotic when you think about it. Here?s why ?

The song was an anti-war anthem in the late ?60s that took aim at the men behind the war (the politicians and the military and societal elite), but never those fighting it (the common men). And, this is the very reason why it should not be controversial for the song to be played at an event honoring veterans because the song in itself was honoring the men fighting and losing their lives in the war in Vietnam while those more fortunate pulled strings back at home to not have to fight and die for their country.

Unfortunately, some ignorant people like those going off on it on the internet, simply cannot understand the meaning of ?Fortunate Son.? They think they know what it?s about without ever truly listening to the lyrics or trying to understand what it really means. It?s kind of like how Springsteen?s ?Born in the U.S.A.? often gets misinterpreted by some as being ?rah-rah America? when if you actually listen to the song?s verses it?s about America turning its back on veterans once they returned home from fighting the war in Vietnam, a song The Boss also brought out for The Concert for Valor on Tuesday night.

?Fortunate Son? was effectively a voice for soldiers fighting for their country who may not have wanted to but didn?t have any other choice because of the draft at the time in this country. This is why it?s not anti-American and why it?s more than acceptable to play at events honoring vets.

azaghal1981

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 01:04:49 pm »
Their banning anti-war stickers and shirts and allowing "Fortunate Son" to be played doesn't make that much sense.

Also, Metallica didn't play "One?"
احمد

Space Freely

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 12:53:08 pm »
Woody Guthrie was a big supporter of free speech, right?

Bravo to Hutch for stating opinions in this thread that many people in America would disagree with. The great thing in America is that you can express your opinion, even if it?s an unpopular one, right? And as long as you?re not threatening anyone, you?re allowed to state it.

That?s actually not true in some places. In Afghanistan, if you point out flaws in Islam, you face blasphemy charges.

http://www.rferl.org/content/afghan-blasphemy-case-an-early-test-for-new-government/26654627.html

In Saudi Arabia, if you point out the flaws in Islam, you get a 10 year jail sentence and 1,000 lashes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27318400

In Pakistan, they kill you.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/11/26/pakistan-blasphemy/19019805/

In Indonesia, they jail you.

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/report-shows-a-surge-in-indonesian-convictions-for-blasphemy-27380

Even in secular Turkey, they'll imprison you.

http://www.crossmap.com/news/noted-convert-from-islam-in-egypt-wins-partial-appeal-but-remains-in-jail-15293

In fact, blasphemy laws exist in every Muslim-majority country ( but only is the blasphemy is against Islam.)

On the 9:30 Forum, they call you a "bigot", then ban you from posting. (hopefully this public library IP address won't receive a ban).

I read this comment on another forum, and completely agree?

The ability to criticize religion is at the core of freedom of speech, and no religion is exempt, much to the chagrin of scientologists and muslims everywhere. They can practice whatever religion they want, that's freedom of religion, including things like salt water and fresh water cannot be mixed together or that meteors that fall from the sky are signs from God, but others (should, in America) have a right to criticize and even mock them for those beliefs. And when those beliefs become downright dangerous, like killing those who decide to leave the religion, or killing women who have been raped as well as killing women who protect themselves from rapists, criticizing such practices becomes not just tolerable, but necessary.

Some liberals are arguably no longer liberal. Some have become totalitarian in their mindset. They want to control others and use censorship as a tool for control. Hopefully there are still true liberals out there who believe that protecting individual freedoms is more important than protecting the rights of groups whose beliefs seek to stifle those freedoms.

For a much more interesting take on this than I could possible write, please read this essay by Rizvi Ali.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ali-a-rizvi/the-phobia-of-being-calle_b_5215218.html

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2015, 12:58:51 pm »
Bravo to Hutch for stating opinions
Three posts in and I'm already telling you to get the hell out of here.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2015, 01:15:07 pm »
Ghost of James Ford?   8)

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2015, 01:16:36 pm »
I'm going to check the email used to sign up for the account thru common websites this afternoon if I have time.
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2015, 02:30:41 pm »
space freely . . . genius name. 

Space Freely

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2015, 02:34:34 pm »
Je suis Charlie.

ggw

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2015, 02:38:17 pm »
I'm going to check the email used to sign up for the account thru common websites this afternoon if I have time.

You don't need to go all Miss Marple to know that it's James Ford (Henry Dark, Charlie Nakatestes, Rhett Miller, The Black Nerd, etc...). He can never stay away longer than a few weeks. He's been home honing his hate and looking for an outlet for it. I give it ten days before he gets banned yet again.

Space Freely

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2015, 03:16:50 pm »
Great article.

Meet the honor brigade, an organized campaign to silence debate on Islam

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/meet-the-honor-brigade-an-organized-campaign-to-silence-critics-of-islam/2015/01/16/0b002e5a-9aaf-11e4-a7ee-526210d665b4_story.html

(Wish You Were Here is easily the best Pink Floyd album.)

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2015, 05:06:40 pm »
Great article.

Meet the honor brigade, an organized campaign to silence debate on Islam

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/meet-the-honor-brigade-an-organized-campaign-to-silence-critics-of-islam/2015/01/16/0b002e5a-9aaf-11e4-a7ee-526210d665b4_story.html

(Wish You Were Here is easily the best Pink Floyd album.)

You sir, are obsessed . . . with knowing too much, about pink floyd.