Author Topic: David Bowie Is...  (Read 112901 times)

hutch

Re: David Bowie Is...
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2016, 08:59:10 pm »
very sad.. for sure no musician's death has impacted me like this one.. and even when bob Dylan and chuck berry go it will not have the same impact even though one is my #1 and the other might as well be called mr. rock 'n'roll... I think one of the things that really sucks about getting older is watching people die.. i'm a novice at it but it feels like in the last year I've grown a lot... sadly.

"About a week before his death, with Blackstar nearing release, David Bowie called his longtime friend and producer Tony Visconti via FaceTime, and told him he wanted to make one more album. In what turned out to have been the final weeks of his life, Bowie wrote and demo-ed five fresh songs, and was anxious to return to the studio one last time. Bowie had known since November that his cancer was terminal, according to Visconti, but if their final conversation was any indication, he had no idea he had so little time left. "At that late stage, he was planning the follow-up to Blackstar," says Visconti, that album's producer, in an interview conducted Wednesday for a Bowie memorial package in the next issue of Rolling Stone.

"And I was thrilled," Visconti continues, "and I thought, and he thought, that he'd have a few months, at least. Obviously, if he's excited about doing his next album, he must've thought he had a few more months. So the end must've been very rapid. I'm not privy to it. I don't know exactly, but he must've taken ill very quickly after that phone call." Visconti has been working with Bowie on and off since 1969's Space Oddity, producing numerous key albums, among them 1970's The Man Who Sold the World, 1977's Low, 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps), and 2013's surprise comeback The Next Day.

Around the middle of 2015, however, Bowie's prognosis seemed to improve. "He was optimistic because he was doing the chemo and it was working," says Visconti, "and at one point in the middle of last year, he was in remission. I was thrilled. And he was a bit apprehensive. He said, 'Well, don't celebrate too quickly. For now I'm in remission, and we'll see how it goes.' And he continued the chemotherapy. So I thought he was going to make it. And in November, it just suddenly came back. It had spread all over his body, so there's no recovering from that."

Bowie had already finished Blackstar by November. But even before then, Visconti noticed the tone of some of the lyrics and told him, "You canny bastard. You're writing a farewell album." Bowie simply laughed in response. "He was so brave and courageous," says Visconti. "And his energy was still incredible for a man who had cancer. He never showed any fear. He was just all business about making the album."

K8teebug

« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2016, 10:09:06 am »
I totally understand, Hutch.

dyecraig

« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2016, 10:12:45 am »
he was my #1.
great words and story, hutch.

K8teebug

« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2016, 10:29:11 am »
Thanks to whomever was dj before the ASC show last night. Yesterday, I listened to "All I Want" just to listen to something that wasn't Bowie, but still sounded like Bowie. I guess we had the same idea.

vansmack

« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2016, 04:18:35 pm »
One of the few rags that still employs writers to do obits:

The Economist - Starman Jones
27>34

« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2016, 05:32:33 pm »
Odd stament from the Bowie marketing staff?

The family of David Bowie is currently making arrangements for a private ceremony celebrating the memory of their beloved husband, father and friend.

They ask once again that their privacy be respected at this most sensitive of times.

We are overwhelmed by and grateful for the love and support shown throughout the world.

However, it is important to note that while the concerts and tributes planned for the coming weeks are all welcome, none are official memorials organized or endorsed by the family.

Just as each and every one of us found something unique in David's music, we welcome everyone?s celebration of his life as they see fit.

Who cares if a memorial is official or endorsed by the family?
then they say do it as you see fit?
slack

killsaly

« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2016, 06:19:21 pm »

walk,on,by

« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2016, 06:23:05 pm »
Ok . . . enough, planet earth; it's getting disgraceful.

bearman🐻

« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2016, 06:38:36 pm »
Ok . . . enough, planet earth; it's getting disgraceful.

Why do you care?

walk,on,by

« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2016, 06:46:49 pm »
Because, it's a sad display, of misguided, false idol hero worship. It's disrespectful, to the human race.

vansmack

« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2016, 07:03:52 pm »
Because, it's a sad display, of misguided, false idol hero worship. It's disrespectful, to the human race.

It was OK when he was alive.....

he, is . . . timeless

. . . someone who will never tour again.  when i saw him at the patriot, it was magical. 

But not since he has passed?
27>34

bearman🐻

« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2016, 08:04:30 pm »

So you're basically lumping people like Lemmy and Bowie in the same category with Paris Hilton and the Kardashians. Right. Makes perfect sense.

walk,on,by

« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2016, 08:31:35 pm »
i am basically living, by the classic, yet maybe stupid theory, that there are more important people who have lived on the planet to get this worked up over when they die.  yes, bowie was great, yes, bowie was a pioneer of music, yes bowie influenced so many musicians, yes bowie was a star, yes bowie was timeless, but no, bowie was not a god.  bowie was not more important than people who just eradicated ebola, bowie was not more important than world leaders, bowie was not more important than the guy who builds the roads I drive on.

that's just how i feel, whether ridiculous or not. 

Space Freely

« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2016, 08:44:20 pm »
i am basically living, by the classic, yet maybe stupid theory, that there are more important people who have lived on the planet to get this worked up over when they die.  yes, bowie was great, yes, bowie was a pioneer of music, yes bowie influenced so many musicians, yes bowie was a star, yes bowie was timeless, but no, bowie was not a god.  bowie was not more important than people who just eradicated ebola, bowie was not more important than world leaders, bowie was not more important than the guy who builds the roads I drive on.

that's just how i feel, whether ridiculous or not. 

While you're 100% right, it's not Bowie's fault. We're the assholes that allow even mediocre baseball pitchers to make 10 million a year.