Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1602172 times)

hutch

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #585 on: January 31, 2015, 11:05:35 am »
more crap sports channels. 

crap sports channels? what is that?

watching NBATV right now on FIOS....

I actually have no need for sports channels and would unbundle them in a heartbeat... I shouldn't have to pay for them at all, particularly since they only buy content and not produce it.

sports is the only reason to have cable.. if you don't like sports you don't like cable

QED

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #586 on: January 31, 2015, 05:09:18 pm »

I actually have no need for sports channels and would unbundle them in a heartbeat... I shouldn't have to pay for them at all, particularly since they only buy content and not produce it.

sports is the only reason to have cable.. if you don't like sports you don't like cable

QED

clearly you have not  been reading the prestige tv thread... 
T.Rex

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #587 on: February 01, 2015, 01:50:49 am »

I could do away with all the Spanish speaking content channels, all the endless list music channels, and all the movie channels.  Bottom line is that we really should be able to buy service with a set number of channels but not specific channels.  I may want a 50 channel package with my particular 50 channels while other might want 175 channels with very little crossover to those that I want to have.  Its kind of like going to the grocery store.  I don't want to have to buy 350 assorted canned good in order to get one  can each of chicken noodle soup, tomato paste, and black eye peas (see what I did there)...
FUKIT

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #588 on: February 01, 2015, 12:36:20 pm »
Just found that FIOS wants to bone me for another $10 a month to watch Pivot TV in HD, a channel I get in regular D as part of a already expensive package.
Kosmo: adding to my Pivot related weirdness, Comcast responded via email to a request I put in thru their site about adding Pivot. (Again, I do not get it in SD or HD.) They said while they have no plans to add it in my part of the country at this time, they do have it elsewhere and have made PivotOD (in HD) available on all Comcast Xfinity OnDemand stations.

Which is weird but great. Maybe you can request FIOS add the HD versions to your FIOS OD?

Guess I'm going to get to see Fortitude after all...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:37:57 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

« Reply #589 on: February 01, 2015, 12:40:12 pm »

I could do away with all the Spanish speaking content channels, all the endless list music channels, and all the movie channels.  Bottom line is that we really should be able to buy service with a set number of channels but not specific channels.  I may want a 50 channel package with my particular 50 channels while other might want 175 channels with very little crossover to those that I want to have.  Its kind of like going to the grocery store.  I don't want to have to buy 350 assorted canned good in order to get one  can each of chicken noodle soup, tomato paste, and black eye peas (see what I did there)...
I agree that the days of bundles are soon to coming to an end and people will be able to get channels a la carte but the "any 50 stations for $xx" model isn't going to happen. Not all channels are even price wise. ESPN =/= Fox Business News as far as carriage fees go.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #590 on: February 01, 2015, 01:32:26 pm »
if you dont want sports channels I don't know why you would have cable at all...

« Reply #591 on: February 01, 2015, 01:38:16 pm »
if you dont want sports channels I don't know why you would have cable at all...
HBO? Showtime? Cooking channels? AMC/FX? 24 hour news? Virtually everything in the Prestige Television thread?
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #592 on: February 01, 2015, 02:25:33 pm »
Just found that FIOS wants to bone me for another $10 a month to watch Pivot TV in HD, a channel I get in regular D as part of a already expensive package.
Kosmo: adding to my Pivot related weirdness, Comcast responded via email to a request I put in thru their site about adding Pivot. (Again, I do not get it in SD or HD.) They said while they have no plans to add it in my part of the country at this time, they do have it elsewhere and have made PivotOD (in HD) available on all Comcast Xfinity OnDemand stations.

Which is weird but great. Maybe you can request FIOS add the HD versions to your FIOS OD?

Guess I'm going to get to see Fortitude after all...

Pivot HD was there all along, it was just in the next level up in packages... Which after all my moaning I ended getting when i re-upped my agreement, along with faster fios, etc, for about what I was paying before.  Had to add to Starz back, because in the words of Kosmette, there was no way she was going to miss her pirates (Black Sails) and men in kilts (Outlander).

My current beef is that i have to pay a  Regional Sports Networks fee for channels I will never watch but just happen to be in the package.  I find this explanation BS as it's basically oh look at us the poor "billionaires"  who own sports teams  and greedy universities are sticking it to us, so we get to pass along to consumers.

"This monthly fee helps to cover the rising cost of delivering regional collegiate and professional sports programming to subscribers. "

I find Frank Deford pretty useless these days on Morning Edition, but have to agree with his statement that our cable fees paid the EPSN, etc allow them to just go  buy content and then make money via advertising.  They produce little original content...

T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #593 on: February 01, 2015, 02:28:22 pm »

I find Frank Deford pretty useless

What? Deford is awesome... best sports journalist around..a throwback....love hearing him on NPR.. then again you're not a sports fan by your own admission...

He is getting up there though....

hutch

« Reply #594 on: February 01, 2015, 02:29:48 pm »
HBO? Showtime? Cooking channels? AMC/FX? 24 hour news? Virtually everything in the Prestige Television thread?

So much of this stuff you can figure other ways of getting... if you don't care about sports you really don't need cable...with the internet/netflix/DVDs you can live a happy life without cable...

Its sports where they get you.. and they know it...this is why the new service where people can get ESPN without cable is a big deal...

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #595 on: February 01, 2015, 03:29:12 pm »
Cable, gives you, Cancer.

hutch

« Reply #596 on: February 01, 2015, 03:56:00 pm »
Cable, gives you, Cancer.

I don't know about you but it gives me baseball! Lots of it!

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #597 on: February 01, 2015, 04:07:55 pm »
I don't need Cable, to watch balls being played with . . . lots of them.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #598 on: February 01, 2015, 04:25:23 pm »
If, julian is Goldberg . . . I quit.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
FUKIT