Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1602689 times)

walkie,talkie

Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #3840 on: January 05, 2017, 10:07:19 pm »
^  post Of the day

normally I love New page but Not this Time

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #3841 on: January 05, 2017, 10:23:37 pm »
If they got rid of everything but tools and appliances, they'd survive another 100 years.

Now what say ye:

Sears Is Selling Its Iconic Craftsman Tools Brand after 90 Years

Like if Nabisco had sold off Oreo.
😐 🎶

Yada

hutch

« Reply #3843 on: January 06, 2017, 10:57:14 am »
That is awesome

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3844 on: January 06, 2017, 11:03:48 am »
this is pretty amazing.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/nyregion/james-bond-of-philanthropy-gives-away-the-last-of-his-fortune.html

Julian's America has revoked his citizenship and we are instructing various state departments that we are withdrawing his passport.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #3845 on: January 06, 2017, 11:30:06 am »
interesting perspective from Mr. Brian Eno.

2016/2017
The consensus among most of my friends seems to be that 2016 was a terrible year, and the beginning of a long decline into something we don?t even want to imagine.

2016 was indeed a pretty rough year, but I wonder if it?s the end - not the beginning - of a long decline. Or at least the beginning of the end?.for I think we?ve been in decline for about 40 years, enduring a slow process of de-civilisation, but not really quite noticing it until now. I?m reminded of that thing about the frog placed in a pan of slowly heating water?

This decline includes the transition from secure employment to precarious employment, the destruction of unions and the shrinkage of workers? rights, zero hour contracts, the dismantling of local government, a health service falling apart, an underfunded education system ruled by meaningless exam results and league tables, the increasingly acceptable stigmatisation of immigrants, knee-jerk nationalism, and the concentration of prejudice enabled by social media and the internet.

This process of decivilisation grew out of an ideology which sneered at social generosity and championed a sort of righteous selfishness. (Thatcher: ?Poverty is a personality defect?. Ayn Rand: ?Altruism is evil?). The emphasis on unrestrained individualism has had two effects: the creation of a huge amount of wealth, and the funnelling of it into fewer and fewer hands. Right now the 62 richest people in the world are as wealthy as the bottom half of its population combined. The Thatcher/Reagan fantasy that all this wealth would ?trickle down? and enrich everybody else simply hasn?t transpired. In fact the reverse has happened: the real wages of most people have been in decline for at least two decades, while at the same time their prospects - and the prospects for their children - look dimmer and dimmer. No wonder people are angry, and turning away from business-as-usual government for solutions. When governments pay most attention to whoever has most money, the huge wealth inequalities we now see make a mockery of the idea of democracy. As George Monbiot said: ?The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the purse is mightier than the pen?.

Last year people started waking up to this. A lot of them, in their anger, grabbed the nearest Trump-like object and hit the Establishment over the head with it. But those were just the most conspicuous, media-tasty awakenings. Meanwhile there?s been a quieter but equally powerful stirring: people are rethinking what democracy means, what society means and what we need to do to make them work again. People are thinking hard, and, most importantly, thinking out loud, together. I think we underwent a mass disillusionment in 2016, and finally realised it?s time to jump out of the saucepan.

This is the start of something big. It will involve engagement: not just tweets and likes and swipes, but thoughtful and creative social and political action too. It will involve realising that some things we?ve taken for granted - some semblance of truth in reporting, for example - can no longer be expected for free. If we want good reporting and good analysis, we?ll have to pay for it. That means MONEY: direct financial support for the publications and websites struggling to tell the non-corporate, non-establishment side of the story. In the same way if we want happy and creative children we need to take charge of education, not leave it to ideologues and bottom-liners. If we want social generosity, then we must pay our taxes and get rid of our tax havens. And if we want thoughtful politicians, we should stop supporting merely charismatic ones.

Inequality eats away at the heart of a society, breeding disdain, resentment, envy, suspicion, bullying, arrogance and callousness. If we want any decent kind of future we have to push away from that, and I think we?re starting to.

There?s so much to do, so many possibilities. 2017 should be a surprising year.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3846 on: January 06, 2017, 11:30:21 am »
I don't know where else to put this, and can't really figure it out right now.

The grand finale of the shit show that was 2016 is that the father of a good friend died on New Year's Eve.  That makes 3 in my inner circle that lost a parent in the last 6 months, myself included.  The funeral is in NC on January 19th, and I intend to be there.

For Christmas, Mrs. excon bought me tickets to see Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt at Strathmore...also January 19th.  I don't know the exact location of the seats, but I vaguely recall them being excellent. (I'll check tonight.)

I'm hoping to sell at face value.  If anybody here is interested, PM me and I can provide more details.  Thanks...

Now back to your regular shenanigans.

Front row, just off center.

Yada

« Reply #3847 on: January 06, 2017, 11:32:31 am »
I don't know where else to put this, and can't really figure it out right now.

The grand finale of the shit show that was 2016 is that the father of a good friend died on New Year's Eve.  That makes 3 in my inner circle that lost a parent in the last 6 months, myself included.  The funeral is in NC on January 19th, and I intend to be there.

For Christmas, Mrs. excon bought me tickets to see Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt at Strathmore...also January 19th.  I don't know the exact location of the seats, but I vaguely recall them being excellent. (I'll check tonight.)

I'm hoping to sell at face value.  If anybody here is interested, PM me and I can provide more details.  Thanks...

Now back to your regular shenanigans.

Front row, just off center.

How much?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3848 on: January 06, 2017, 11:37:43 am »
Check your PM

ggw

« Reply #3849 on: January 06, 2017, 12:59:51 pm »
most dept store days are obviously numbered.. macys is closing the one in tysons

There are two (2) Macys in Tysons, literally ~1,000 yards from each other.  They should have closed that one at the Galleria a long time ago.

vansmack

« Reply #3850 on: January 06, 2017, 01:09:43 pm »
Like if Nabisco had sold off Oreo.

I'm guessing they tried mergers and nobody wanted them, so they sold off their only marketable brand.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3851 on: January 06, 2017, 01:14:44 pm »
this is pretty amazing.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/05/nyregion/james-bond-of-philanthropy-gives-away-the-last-of-his-fortune.html

Julian's America has revoked his citizenship and we are instructing various state departments that we are withdrawing his passport.

I can assure you, he has no interest in being part of Julian's America.

As a beneficiary of Atlantic on a few occasions, it truly is a remarkable story and I couldn't be happier for him.   
27>34

walkie,talkie

« Reply #3852 on: January 06, 2017, 03:14:01 pm »
Don't you Think we'll get to a point Where you'll ask yourself . . . what there wasn't A mass shooting today?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 03:18:38 pm by walkie,talkie »

hutch

« Reply #3854 on: January 06, 2017, 07:59:37 pm »
Coachella Owner Donates to LGBT Hate Groups, Denies Climate Change, Has Koch Connections

bummer..

If you start looking into things it will almost always be like this...

i think Anschlutz's group was behind the Washington Examiner so that tells you all you need to know..no surprise here..