Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1603253 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #6345 on: July 30, 2021, 09:20:38 am »
If your OTA reception sucks try Locast.org. All local OTA channels and subchannels, free for the first few hours but then "donation" nag ads interrupt your viewing. $5.50/month makes those go away. Watch on the website or smartphone and TV device apps.

If they ever release an Apple Watch app then we could truly have TV on our wrists.

😐 🎶

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6346 on: July 30, 2021, 09:59:00 am »
After years of generally being pissed off at Verizon (for the exact issues you describe), I went with an internet only Verizon plan and YouTube TV (and Netflix and Hulu...etc).

My costs went down by a modest amount, but I never ever have to deal with the insanity that Verizon puts you through. I'll never go back.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6347 on: July 30, 2021, 10:19:10 am »
After years of generally being pissed off at Verizon (for the exact issues you describe), I went with an internet only Verizon plan and YouTube TV (and Netflix and Hulu...etc).

My costs went down by a modest amount, but I never ever have to deal with the insanity that Verizon puts you through. I'll never go back.

that was my original plan to drop TV and cut the cord... but i got lured into a "better" package like the sucker i am...  and all seemed fine until they "fixed" my account.. my better half if giving me a lot of i told you so's

the only upside for today is i'm on my third listen to the new Durand Jones and The Indications album which is a fine summer listen.. also will be spending more time with the new Yola and this Prince fella put out a pretty good album to...
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #6348 on: July 30, 2021, 10:55:21 am »

We went to nothing but FIOS maybe three years ago? We use a digital antenna/prime/Netflix/Hulu(spotify combo).

We pay under $100 a month for all three with a gigabit line.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #6349 on: July 30, 2021, 11:00:26 am »
I have had absolutely zero issues with Verizon FIOS tv and internet and my interactions with their billing and service departments have been exceptional. Then again, I am a person utterly content to spend $185/month for gigabit + every channel in HD + HBO + Showtime + Starz + Epix + every sports station in existence including the 24/7 Cricket HD channel.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6350 on: July 30, 2021, 11:05:48 am »
That's not a $185 package. Your fiction needs a fact check.

Starsky

« Reply #6351 on: July 30, 2021, 11:13:42 am »
FIOS is great

Just the billing and customer service suck

But of the options it’s the best

I may get it again for World Cup next year

« Reply #6352 on: July 30, 2021, 11:18:22 am »
Sorry: $186.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 11:22:09 am by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #6353 on: July 30, 2021, 11:30:23 am »
Receipts to prove it!!!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6354 on: July 30, 2021, 11:31:16 am »
I'm like julian on this i thought i was close to getting what i need for around $200

but, it appears that they "fixed" my account so much that all the discounts have disappeared and they can't quite get the bundle right

also i'm getting hit with twice  the amount in fees and taxes
T.Rex

« Reply #6355 on: July 30, 2021, 11:57:03 am »
The only thing really worth doing, in my experience is buying your own modem.
You can find resellers of OEM Fios "Gig Speed" modems on ebay.
If I recall, we spent ~$70.00 about five years ago. It's likely the smallest part of your recurring bill, but it's a psychological win and we've never had any troubles with the unit that we bought.
I keep meaning to do this. Thanks for the reminder. You can get one for $50 and it pays for itself after 4 months at $12 per.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6356 on: July 30, 2021, 12:27:22 pm »
Sorry: $186.

$187, if you're going to round.  ALL INTEGERS MATTER.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #6357 on: July 30, 2021, 12:28:11 pm »
Ok but I had the triple play

vansmack

« Reply #6358 on: July 30, 2021, 02:21:25 pm »
If I recall, we spent ~$70.00 about five years ago. It's likely the smallest part of your recurring bill, but it's a psychological win and we've never had any troubles with the unit that we bought.

This 100%.  But your own modem (and I would argue router too).  At $12 a month it will pay for itself in just under a year and be good for at least 5 years...
27>34

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #6359 on: July 30, 2021, 02:41:25 pm »

This 100%.  But your own modem (and I would argue router too).  At $12 a month it will pay for itself in just under a year and be good for at least 5 years...

We did this, but wound up cancelling before it paid off.  Then we bought an eero mesh system and stuck the router on the shelf in the basement.