Author Topic: GET RID of Echostage  (Read 11743 times)

Vas Deferens

GET RID of Echostage
« on: May 20, 2015, 11:38:26 am »
 ;D
(_|_)

Re: GET RID of Echostage
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 11:54:23 am »
what's worse DAR or Echostage?

I think one of my biggest grips is they need to sell 500 less tickets

That you a squeezed in at the back of the club is absurd

where do bands go that can pack in 3000-4000 people (and tix are still $60+!!)

I managed to get a good spot at the Alt-J show and the sound was great IMO
slack

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 09:52:33 am »
I like DAR. DAR is great but it depends on the act. Sufjan Stevens was awesome there. I've also been to some really good sounding shows at DAR - Arcade Fire, Pixies, Erykah Badu, Damien Rice....
(_|_)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 10:01:10 am »
excellent thread.  because if i owned a club and made $10k per night, i would totally shut it down based on what some random internet person said.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 10:04:33 am »
Echostage is KILLING music. The Replacements played there and now they're broken up! Coincedence!?!?!
LVMH

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 10:08:53 am »
of course not, there's a Get Rid of Ticketfly thread too and look where they are now...

excellent thread.  because if i owned a club and made $10k per night, i would totally shut it down based on what some random internet person said.
(_|_)

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 10:43:45 am »
echostage . . . the new, problem, that shapes our lives.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 11:25:05 am »
I just read this as "This venue isn't in walking distance to where I live and I'm afraid of NE DC."
3MTA3

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 11:28:25 am »
I just read this as "This venue isn't in walking distance to where I live and I'm afraid of NE DC."
that is between the lines, yes
but until a few years ago, 930 club was a sketchy hood too
slack

Got Haggis?

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 11:37:43 am »
I wasn't a fan.  The area didn't seem sketchy to me.  We ate at Panda Gourmet before the show (thanks for the suggestion, it was great!).  I think I agree with 500 tickets less, that might help.  And as I said in the other thread, I think raising the stage some would help as well.  We were upstairs for the first few songs of Tame Imapla and it sounded pretty shitty - coupled iwth terrible sight lines due to the columns.  We moved downstairs - the sound was much better, but so many people so we were crammed in the back...and had a tough time seeing the band.  I've been to sold out shows at the 930 and always feel like I can still see the band.

Space Freely

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 11:49:59 am »
that is between the lines, yes
but until a few years ago, 930 club was a sketchy hood too

A few years ago, even 10 years ago, you would have been mocked on this board as being a suburban pussy for saying that about the 9:30 area.

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 12:27:57 pm »
^yea and it kinda is starting to look like Bethesda where the 930 is
slack

medeski7

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 12:32:53 pm »
I enjoyed the one show I went to at Echostage.  It was Sasha.  I haven't been there when it's been packed, so I can't comment there.  It's a decent venue, high ceilings, lots of dance space and a great sound system.  Why hate it? 

Personally, if one IMP venue had to bite the dust, I'd pick the Lincoln Theater.  The upstairs sound, sight and seats all suck.  I'd go back if I could buy a reserved seat.  This get there super early to get a seat and then wait hours to see the band nonsense sucks.  I've already passed on 5 shows I'd see at other venues because they were at the Lincoln. 

DAR is great sight, sound, and seat wise, but they need to allow drinks in the seats.  If they don't, I'll probably continue to pass on shows there too. 

Vas Deferens

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 12:38:02 pm »
Lincoln Theater is also way overpriced and yes they should start doing reserved seating again.

Personally, if one IMP venue had to bite the dust, I'd pick the Lincoln Theater.  The upstairs sound, sight and seats all suck.  I'd go back if I could buy a reserved seat.  This get there super early to get a seat and then wait hours to see the band nonsense sucks.  I've already passed on 5 shows I'd see at other venues because they were at the Lincoln. 

(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 12:48:34 pm »
I enjoyed the one show I went to at Echostage.  It was Sasha.  I haven't been there when it's been packed, so I can't comment there.  It's a decent venue, high ceilings, lots of dance space and a great sound system. 

echostage is better suited as a dance club than a music venue.  hence you didn't have a problem with seeing a DJ there.  the sound system was built with EDM in mind.  sightlines aren't as important.

DAR is great sight, sound, and seat wise, but they need to allow drinks in the seats.  If they don't, I'll probably continue to pass on shows there too. 

depends on the show.  some they allow drinks in the same, some they don't.

sound at DAR is very hit-or-miss.  really depends on whether the sound techs know how to work that room.  i've heard some great shows at DAR, and i've heard some of the worst there.  Eddie Izzard a few years back was unintelligible and unlisteneable if you were in the back half of the room.
<sig>