Author Topic: Maybe we should just elect Trump president  (Read 919699 times)

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

Re: Maybe we should just elect Trump president
« Reply #3465 on: October 03, 2018, 06:29:43 pm »
Is it just me, or is Michael Moore, basically the liberal alex jones, at this point.

Meaning, both are conspiracy crazy, that nobody cares about anymore.

Relaxer

« Reply #3466 on: October 04, 2018, 10:51:20 am »
Alex Jones hasn't made a documentary that earned more than $200 million.
Moore is easily lampooned and ridiculed, but dude has made some very good, insightful movies about important topics.
What the fuck has Alex Jones done?
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #3467 on: October 04, 2018, 10:52:24 am »
Honestly, your post smacks of "I am unfamiliar with either of their work but they're both fat and ugly so they must be the same!"
oword

« Reply #3468 on: October 04, 2018, 11:07:07 am »
Alex Jones hasn't made a documentary that earned more than $200 million.
Moore is easily lampooned and ridiculed, but dude has made some very good, insightful movies about important topics.
What the fuck has Alex Jones done?
I will say that my MM post was a little hyperbolic...but it reminds me of the 'orange threat level' stuff Tom Ridge was 'pressured' to do during Bush's re-election

MM always cites/footnotes where he gets his data from.  AJ is just making shit up on the fly
I think that's a big difference in terms of credibility
slack

evilizac

« Reply #3469 on: October 04, 2018, 12:42:02 pm »
Also, to be fair, the only thing that I recall Michael Moore selling are his basic products; books, movies, that TV show he had.
Alex Jones would pedal chinese rhino horn and tiger semen if he could spin it as some way to fight the bloated communist yellow-beast of fascism. Or something like that which I would assume also include a ching-chong narrative and being beaten at our own game.   

I know it's not popular, but I do appreciate Michael Moore and Bill Maher even if they tend to lean to the cartoonish side of liberalism at time.
I'd like to hope that I can recognize when they cross a line of pure fact and veer into "entertainment". It scares me that folks like Rush appear to have their adherents kneeling to eat out of their chafed, ashen ham fists. 
WHAT?

« Reply #3470 on: October 04, 2018, 01:12:26 pm »
I know it's not popular, but I do appreciate Michael Moore and Bill Maher even if they tend to lean to the cartoonish side of liberalism at time.
I'd like to hope that I can recognize when they cross a line of pure fact and veer into "entertainment". It scares me that folks like Rush appear to have their adherents kneeling to eat out of their chafed, ashen ham fists.
I love Bill, but agree he goes a little far sometimes and makes him loose credibility
He really still wants to get his jokes in, even if it gets away from the salient point he was making a commentary on

BM is very adamant that he is entertainment/satire and not news show
that let's him  get away with it a little more, as a news reporter shouldn't say and do the things he does
...can't say that's the case for Rush and Alex.

Both BM and MM stated early on they thought Trump can and would win
There were about zero liberals saying that in 2016

slack

walkonbyeeeeeeeee

« Reply #3471 on: October 04, 2018, 01:19:35 pm »
Honestly, your post smacks of "I am unfamiliar with either of their work but they're both fat and ugly so they must be the same!"

Honestly, your post smacks of the fact that you missed, "at this point."  You know, the words I wrote down.  The words that mean, right now, not years ago. 

Space Freely

« Reply #3472 on: October 04, 2018, 01:33:45 pm »

Honestly, your post smacks of the fact that you missed, "at this point."  You know, the words I wrote down.  The words that mean, right now, not years ago.

At this point, yes, Moore's influence and importance has diminished. But still, the other boardies are right in terms of comparing the actual credibility of the two.

hutch

« Reply #3473 on: October 04, 2018, 02:11:35 pm »
I don’t know why Moore’s credibility would suffer when he had a better read on Trump Country and his impending victory than just about anyone else on the left.

In fact I would dare say Moore understood what was going on better than anyone other than the Dilbert creator and Rush Limbaugh....and some aspects of Trump’s appeal he understood better than them because of his connection to Michigan.

The left likes to eat it’s own. Comparing him to Alex Jones is laughable.

Space Freely

hutch

« Reply #3476 on: October 06, 2018, 11:45:59 am »
Nazi graffiti at Fairfax Jewish Community Center...damn this stuff is out of control...and yet I have a feeling of utter powerlessness

« Reply #3477 on: October 10, 2018, 08:22:02 am »
even though this did have a JA bent...quickly went sideways so moved to here

An Evening with the Clintons
Eww. Why? Who would piss away $50-$375 for a ticket?
probably not the same people who shelled out thousands to attend that criminal Trump's inauguration ;D
innocent until proven guilty (Muller is working on that)

What's interesting as of late...People have to keep being reminded of the bombshells that keep landing about him
these headlines are indicative of that

Reminder: Exactly One Week Ago The New York Times Exposed Trump's Tax "Fraud"
Trump may be guilty of massive tax fraud. Don’t let it fall down the memory hole.
Donald Trump is probably a tax crook. The response to it might be worse.
Donald Trump’s tax ‘fraud’ was exposed - and no one cares

the one thing that really annoys me is for years has been this line "Trump claimed he turned a 'small' $1 million loan from his father into an empire." when in fact The New York Times says it was more like $60.7 million in loans
That is a REALLLY big difference and intentionally mislead his supporters (but they don't care)

it is worthy to note....every one is putting the air quotes around fraud
slack

« Reply #3478 on: October 16, 2018, 02:09:48 pm »
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/house/?ex_cid=rrpromo
Forecasting the race for the House
Updated Sep. 28, 2018, at 10:43 AM
4 in 5  Chance Democrats win control (80.3%)
1 in 5  Chance Republicans keep control (19.7%)

Forecasting the race for the Senate
Updated Sep. 28, 2018, at 10:43 AM
1 in 3  Chance Democrats win control (31.7%)
2 in 3  Chance Republicans keep control (68.3%)
welp...looking not as good for the Senate anymore....house is more likely tho...

Forecasting the race for the House
Updated Oct. 16, 2018, at 1:58 PM
5 in 6  Chance Democrats win control (84.5%)
1 in 6  Chance Republicans keep control (15.5%)

Forecasting the race for the Senate
Updated Oct. 16, 2018, at 1:58 PM
1 in 5   Chance Democrats win control (19.5%)
4 in 5   Chance Republicans keep control (80.5%)
slack

« Reply #3479 on: October 16, 2018, 03:58:31 pm »
slack