Author Topic: Maybe we should just elect Trump president  (Read 904930 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Maybe we should just elect Trump president
« Reply #270 on: December 07, 2015, 07:23:29 pm »
every time he says sh*t like that, i'm sure that this is the time that he'll run himself out of the race... then i remember how many other crazy things he's said and how it seems to have no effect on his popularity.  then i cry.

GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump urges ban on all Muslim entry to the U.S.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/07/politics/donald-trump-muslim-ban-immigration/index.html
<sig>

walk,on,by

« Reply #271 on: December 07, 2015, 07:27:33 pm »
John Kasich on a sunday cnn show, I think, believes that trump will flame out by the end, and said some pretty smart things regarding how people vote and how to make sure to see everything from all angles.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #272 on: December 07, 2015, 07:34:03 pm »
John Kasich on a sunday cnn show, I think, believes that trump will flame out by the end, and said some pretty smart things regarding how people vote and how to make sure to see everything from all angles.
Kasich is by far the best GOP candidate (as far as not being a nutjob). The fact that the party's base seems so opposed and far-fling from him says a lot.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #273 on: December 07, 2015, 07:55:26 pm »
every time he says sh*t like that, i'm sure that this is the time that he'll run himself out of the race... then i remember how many other crazy things he's said and how it seems to have no effect on his popularity.  then i cry.

GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump urges ban on all Muslim entry to the U.S.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/07/politics/donald-trump-muslim-ban-immigration/index.html

I do not know that I agree with Trump but his position has occurred to me, as it has to many Americans, and I don't think it is a crazy one...doesn't mean I agree with it.. I am not sure.. I don't know but food for thought...

a country does get to determine who gets to emigrate to the United States...they make decisions every day on who they want.. how many from here or there... they interview people and make decisions...often times arbitrary..or do you think the consular officials who conduct interviews etc do not often use their personal judgment and opinion??? it is not a scientific process..... visit many  Latin American countries and there are people lined up outside the US Embassy/Consulates for hours... all night.... at some point a choice is made on who to let visit and who not... After, for example, Argentina defaulted on its debt and many Argentines began to stay in the US illegally after their tourist visas expired the US decided to make it difficult for Argentines to even get the tourist visa.. I know of someone who wanted to visit family, was about 80 years old, and was not approved.. or refunded a couple of hundred bucks in processing fees (a lot of money at the time down there)..I feel that was a crazy decision but it happened... it happens all the time...point is the US makes these decisions all the time in light of what it considers to be in the best interests.. it discriminates all the time... maybe not predominantly on religion but certainly on nationality.. ie, where people are coming from, what they can offer, what the people who have already come from that place have done etc etc... It seems odd to think it weird to say "Hey 19 of the 20 hijackers where from Saudi Arabia, this woman came from there, they are full of Wahabi schools, Osama and his family are from there but hey lets prioritize letting in as many Saudis as people from other countries".... Maybe we can simply adjust the numbers.. but at the end of the day we do need to exercise some sort of criteria on whom to allow in to our country...

I'm not embracing this position but I don't think its unreasonable to consider we might not want people coming in from Saudi Arabia or Pakistan... Lets think about the female who mowed down 14 people... she was a Pakistani who had been in Saudi for a few years... why should she come to our country? Was it a good choice to let her come in to our country or would we have been better off not letting her come in?

I do think people who are in this country as Americans already have their rights as Americans...those cannot be taken away... but letting in new people? that is a privilege not a right.. and we can damn well decide how we go about doing it...

I also think its past time to stop with this baloney about how all religions are the same etc.. no, there is one religion that is producing a disproportionate amount of people who want to blow up things... I wish it weren't so but wishing don't make it so.... people say "oh its just a few bad apples.. a small percentage" but if we really look at the world we see many countries where fundamentalist Islamic governments have either been voted in or taken over by force and retained power.... when you see Islamists making strides in places like Turkey via the ballot box or Egypt (where the military then overthrew them...) you have to say wait a minute..its not just a few people here... these are two of the most strategically important countries in that area of the world and the Islamists won in both!

walk,on,by

« Reply #274 on: December 07, 2015, 08:05:02 pm »
im going to post this, before I even read all of that . . . but good lord, man.

hutch

« Reply #275 on: December 07, 2015, 08:06:25 pm »
and let me add: it is not very easy to get entry to many places including Saudi Arabia....they certainly have no troubles barring Israelis...

Israelis that have never once attacked their country and yet we are supposed to fling our borders open to Saudis when 19 out of 20 9-11 hijackers were from Saudi, Osama was from there etc etc

Come on now? You will say that is what makes us different? I hope you won't say that because the difference is the Israelis pose no threat to Saudi whereas Saudis have effected great damage on our country.

There are some unfortunate realities at play here...I don't think I would say ban muslims from coming to the US.. I would probably increasingly limit their numbers and simply double down on the interview/background/forms process.... that sort of stuff happens all the time and if it has not happened yet it should happen...

killsaly

« Reply #276 on: December 07, 2015, 08:08:23 pm »
/
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:10:29 pm by killsaly »

hutch

« Reply #277 on: December 07, 2015, 08:12:14 pm »
FFS really?
Franz Ferdinand Sparks?

food for thought.. hopefully you don't refuse to read what I wrote... I'm open to all points of view... America is going to have this conversation- heck its having it right now as we speak- whether you enjoy it or not.

I am open minded.. are you? Being open minded does not mean you adopt an idea.. you just think about it and discuss it rationally. Now if you think its irrational to even talk about it because you feel the opposing viewpoint does not merit the least consideration then , well, you are entitled to think so...

killsaly

« Reply #278 on: December 07, 2015, 08:13:43 pm »
No it means FOR FUCKS SAKE.   ::)

« Reply #279 on: December 07, 2015, 08:17:59 pm »
As diplomatically as you framed that, Hutch, stating religion should be a credulity test to enter the United States of America is appalling.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #280 on: December 07, 2015, 08:23:41 pm »
As diplomatically as you framed that, Hutch, stating religion should be a credulity test to enter the United States of America is appalling.

Do you think Communists should have been allowed into the country during the Cold War?

« Reply #281 on: December 07, 2015, 08:24:56 pm »

Do you think Communists should have been allowed into the country during the Cold War?
Communism is a religion? And, yes.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #282 on: December 07, 2015, 08:37:53 pm »
Hutch, the role of Rhett is already being played by, well, Rhett.
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #283 on: December 07, 2015, 08:47:48 pm »

Communism is a religion? And, yes.

I don't know if Communism is a religion, but in many parts of the world Islam is a political system.

Space Freely

« Reply #284 on: December 07, 2015, 09:00:05 pm »
I think Ali Rizvi said it well on November 14:

https://www.facebook.com/ali.a.rizvi/posts/10102746230703608

The failure of Western liberals to honestly acknowledge the problem of Islamic jihad only strengthens Marine Le Pen & the National Front. This is not good.

I hope my fellow liberals will do more from here on to align themselves with their counterparts -- the dissidents in the Islamic world. The fight against Islamic jihad should come from a position of moral strength, not xenophobic bigotry. This is a fight that liberals should take on themselves before it's hijacked by the far right.

Kudos to Anderson Cooper for having Maajid Nawaz on tonight, and to Bill Maher for having Asra Nomani. These are the kinds of voices liberals should be boosting as the future of the Muslim world we want to see.