Author Topic: Maybe we should just elect Trump president  (Read 925516 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Maybe we should just elect Trump president
« Reply #1530 on: July 12, 2016, 12:07:28 pm »
I think Warner's stock has dropped more than you acknowledge.. he went from being a VP candidate to struggling to keep his job....
I agree it dropped. I also maintain if he decided he wanted the governorship back next year, he wins with 60+% of vote and the Republicans run a Creigh-Deeds-esque lamb to the slaughter candidate against him.
LVMH

« Reply #1531 on: July 12, 2016, 01:25:47 pm »
.. practically a Republican.. .
well that's why he'd pull the independents
but Mark Warner is a Centrist.

still pretty left for your standard GOP'er
Support Roe v. Wade,
Switched to supporting same-sex marriage in 2013. (Jul 2014)
Supports  affirmative action,
Eliminated Family Rule, so unrelated couples can buy homes.
End racial profiling; more minority police.
Extend hate crimes to include sexual orientation
Voted YES on reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act.
No school prayer amendment
Mandatory arrest upon evidence of domestic violence. (Nov 2001)
More funding & services for victims of domestic violence
Voted YES on providing a US House seat for the District of Columbia.
Supports line-item veto

this may not be liberal, but I support this:
Voted YES on instituting National Service as a new social invention

Reasons I don't love him
he is a fiscal conservative( but he did close the largest budget shortfall in Virginia?s history. ( 2004) )
supports 'fair' death penalty?
in 96 he Increase penalties for illegal drugs
Strong defender of the Second Amendment.
Voted NO on banning high-capacity magazines of over 10 bullets

I wouldn't say I hate free trade like you keep spewing
but Warner Supports NAFTA, GATT, and WTO

slack

« Reply #1532 on: July 12, 2016, 01:51:34 pm »
A body-language expert would have a field day with that awkward as fuck Bernie Sanders/Hillary Clinton joint event/endorsement announcement.
LVMH

« Reply #1533 on: July 12, 2016, 02:06:36 pm »
Bernie Sanders/Hillary Clinton joint
they really should have shared one prior to taking the stage
slack

« Reply #1534 on: July 14, 2016, 09:25:27 am »
GOP Speaker list:

Supposedly one entire day will be based around Benghazi. Mixed feelings on Brock Mealer being on there. Tim Tebow is the most Trump GOP Convention thing ever and I now list Tebow at 9-1 odds as the VP.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1535 on: July 14, 2016, 09:42:31 am »
i'm not seeing tebow there... am i missing something?

trump has got his 4 kids speaking along with his wife.  truly a family business.
<sig>

« Reply #1536 on: July 14, 2016, 09:59:48 am »
i'm not seeing tebow there... am i missing something?
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/14/us/politics/republican-convention-speakers-donald-trump.html

trump has got his 4 kids speaking along with his wife.  truly a family business.
Gotta promote the Trump brand above all else.

Interesting for those following Veepstakes that Pence is not mentioned on any speaker list.
LVMH

« Reply #1537 on: July 14, 2016, 10:45:36 am »
Interesting for those following Veepstakes that Pence is not mentioned on any speaker list.
Politico is reporting Pence's re-election campaign (for Governor of Indiana) has just bought ad time in August. Starting to look like he's out of the Veepstakes, but this could all be misdirection, I suppose.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1538 on: July 14, 2016, 11:34:18 am »
its tough to say.... Pence is definitely the media/establishment/conservative appeal pick.. but is it the Trump pick? It seems almost too conventional and boring..

We should know within 24 hours...

I have to say 95% of Americans have never heard of him until now...

I thought that when Christie endorsed him so early maybe they had worked something out and he would be the VP.. I mean Christie endorsing him was a big deal.... Bill Kristol who tends to get everything wrong is picking Christie as the choice so that probably means he is a no go...

I'm rooting for Gingrich or Christie.. I think they both carry big negatives that could be exploited....

but based on what I hear I am thinking it will be Pence.... having his family fly out to Indiana and have dinner and breakfast with him seems like a big clue.... also you know Manafort is doing everything he can to get Pence....

Personally I find Pence a fairly underwhelming choice... and if I was in Trump's shoes I would probably pick Gingrich (that is not to say I like Newt...)

Also its not a given Pence would take the gig.. he's pretty much guaranteed to be the next Gov of Indiana.. he has to know Trump's chances are not that good...

I think of Trump and how he probably thinks: he might be thinking.. look-y my polls are up.. I don't need to do what they are telling me to do (pick Pence)... I can do whatever I want....

« Reply #1539 on: July 14, 2016, 11:45:15 am »
According to Politico, Trump's actual staffers want Pence while Trump wants more of an attack dog like Christie or Newt. Staffers feel Newt will be particularly difficult to keep on message.

There's also the subplot that Trump's son-in-law is pretty much the de facto campaign manager at this point and his dad was prosecuted by Christie so there's some bad blood there.

I also thought it was Pence up until he was left off the GOP speaker list (which, again, could be misdirection) while Newt and Christie are both scheduled for day 3 (the traditional VP speech day). That alone could've been construed either way but you combine it with Pence buying re-election airspace this morning and it makes me think Pence has been told it won't be him.

Trump has said we'll know tomorrow. If I had to guess, I'd say its Christie. Current Julian Odds:

Christie 3-1
Newt 4-1
Pence 8-1
Tebow 9-1
Sessions 20-1
Field 50-1
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:55:27 am by Julian, Authenticated LUXUROPHILE »
LVMH

« Reply #1540 on: July 14, 2016, 11:47:11 am »
Also its not a given Pence would take the gig.. he's pretty much guaranteed to be the next Gov of Indiana.. he has to know Trump's chances are not that good...
I feel like Trump wouldn't be publicly vetting him without a back-channel understanding in place he'd accept if offered. Well, actually let me walk that back: I feel like a no politician in their right mind would do that. Trump is clearly playing from his own set of rules.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:48:57 am by Julian, Authenticated LUXUROPHILE »
LVMH

« Reply #1541 on: July 14, 2016, 11:51:28 am »
Its kind of interesting the two conventions being only a few days apart. When does Hillary strategically name her VP choice to minimize Trump's convention "bump"? Do you go (next) Friday morning as soon as the GOP closes? Wait until the Monday after? Do you go 8pm on Thursday splitting coverage of Trump's keynote? Does she go tomorrow too? Interesting to think about.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:00:54 pm by Julian, Authenticated LUXUROPHILE »
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1542 on: July 14, 2016, 12:04:57 pm »
Its kind of interesting the two conventions being only a few days apart. When does Hillary strategically name her VP choice to minimize Trump's convention "bump"? Do you go (next) Friday morning as soon as the GOP closes? Wait until the Monday after? Do you go 8pm on Thursday splitting coverage of Trump's keynote? Does she go tomorrow too? Interesting to think about.

yeah this is a real tough one... part of what makes it tough is if it is Kaine its going to be very ho-hum underwhelming.... if it was Warren it would be BOOM... of course it won't be Warren...

I think if I was her I would at least consider announcing it at the convention ... because, whatever she does, next weekend is all going to be about the Trump convention that just happened, right?

« Reply #1543 on: July 14, 2016, 12:11:12 pm »
yeah this is a real tough one... part of what makes it tough is if it is Kaine its going to be very ho-hum underwhelming.... if it was Warren it would be BOOM... of course it won't be Warren...

I think if I was her I would at least consider announcing it at the convention ... because, whatever she does, next weekend is all going to be about the Trump convention that just happened, right?
Yeah I have to think Trump is going to say something so crazy that it dominates the Friday thru Sunday coverage.

If Hillary wants a BOOM all she has to do is

HOUSE OF CARDS SPOILER WARNING

Go open convention for the VP spot and get Warren, Biden, and Kaine's names entered into the vote through trusted agents. Biden would quickly backchannel kill his own nomination and let it play out between the other two. The political theater would be phenomenal. (And I think if she actually legitimately has a strong preference, she could backchannel the vote however she wanted it.) Tim Kaine getting the VP slot in a "contested" convention is a BOOM.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:15:08 pm by Julian, Authenticated LUXUROPHILE »
LVMH

« Reply #1544 on: July 14, 2016, 12:24:08 pm »
Roll Call is reporting staffers have been told it is Pence.
LVMH