Author Topic: Paris attacks and Eagles of Death Metal  (Read 49750 times)

ggw

Re: Paris attacks and Eagles of Death Metal
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2015, 04:39:39 pm »
Foo Fighters.  U2.

vansmack

« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2015, 04:48:49 pm »
Papa Roach.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2015, 09:41:18 pm »
I think cancelling entire tours over this is so lame...so cowardly...such an unnecessary overreaction.. I mean heck lets just cancel the Champions League while we're at it...WTF

The one exception are of course the Eagles of Death Metal.. I wouldn't blame them if they never played a show again.

For other bands I can understand cancelling a few shows right after the Paris attacks.. maybe being cautious about playing Belgium and France...that's about it. Oh, and wanting extra security at the Bataclan if you're playing there after it reopens.

betao

« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2015, 07:42:16 am »
None of us know what bands are thinking right now, given that playing shows is what they do for a living. I'd say its understandable that they're a bit spooked from this.

You should read the note Randy from LoG wrote (on the previous page). He sums it up pretty well. Doesn't help that he still has the incident in Prague in recent memory too.

Space Freely

« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2015, 09:18:45 am »
None of us know what bands are thinking right now, given that playing shows is what they do for a living. I'd say its understandable that they're a bit spooked from this.

You should read the note Randy from LoG wrote (on the previous page). He sums it up pretty well. Doesn't help that he still has the incident in Prague in recent memory too.

Sure we do. Frank Turner is thinking he's going to take on Daesh all by himself, Foo Fighters are thinking of changing their name to Foo Lovers.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2015, 02:33:39 pm »
powerful interview with EoDM describing that night and the future of the band... not for the faint of heart.  disturbing and emotional stuff.  bearman, do NOT watch this at work (in case it's an option).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n74HBrrFnIc

and as mentioned at the end of the interview:
Eagles of Death Metal Ask Artists to Cover "I Love You All the Time", Donate Proceeds to Charity
All publishing income will go to victims of the Paris attacks; listen to Dean Ween's version
http://pitchfork.com/news/62330-eagles-of-death-metal-ask-artists-to-cover-i-love-you-all-the-time-donate-proceeds-to-charity/
<sig>

betao

« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2015, 09:24:58 am »
That was one of the most intense interviews I've ever seen. Teared up big time throughout.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2015, 10:22:04 am »
That was one of the most intense interviews I've ever seen. Teared up big time throughout.

yup.
<sig>

bearman🐻

« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2015, 10:51:51 am »

Absolutely. So intense and I applaud the guys for telling their story. It needs to be told, and I can't imagine how hard it would be to do so.

As for the canceling of tours, I think that the initial wave of cancellations was appropriate in that bands needed a moment to gather themselves, let the police do their work, and also to give people a chance to grieve and process what happened. The biggest of the tragedies happened at a concert. I doubt people going to see U2 or the Foo fighters days after the attacks would have felt very good about attending a show. How are you supposed to just have a good time? There appears to be a flood of bands still going over now, and that's good. Clutch did a show that they say is the most intense and memorable performance they've probably ever done, Peaches is doing one, and Eagles of Death Metal want to finish their show. God, I cannot even imagine how emotional that one will be. In time, most bands will continue to perform there. I have no doubt about that.

« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2015, 11:24:23 am »
In time, most bands will continue to perform there. I have no doubt about that.
I agree it was a pretty tense time and call's have to be made
it's easy to chastise people from your armchair, but the promoters and bands had some tough decisions to make in the wake of that event

I don't feel like ANY band is going to actually not perform in France/Paris in fear of this gong forward
I could be wrong
slack

hutch

« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2015, 01:28:06 pm »
it's easy to chastise people from your armchair, but the promoters and bands had some tough decisions to make in the wake of that event

I don't feel like ANY band is going to actually not perform in France/Paris in fear of this gong forward
I could be wrong

like what? playing Spain???

I mean bands cancelled entire European tours... for what reason?

The more time goes by the more we will come to recognize a complete overreaction.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:30:19 pm by hutch »

« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2015, 01:32:38 pm »

I could be wrong

The more time goes by the more we will come to recognize a complete overreaction.

well I don't know about that, it was knee-jerk for sure
I'm sure it was a costly decision too, not sure they can just back out with out any consequences (possibly they have insurance to cover those costs?)

but Spain...aren't there Spanish people there....Trump told me to be scared of them
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2015, 01:46:50 pm »

I could be wrong

I think most bands will reschedule those dates. Don't you think it'd be pretty hard to continue a tour and go out on stage when you feel pretty upset/mad/freaked out in the wake of what happened? And maybe presumptuous that you're expecting fans to show and be excited about going to a concert? I saw Best Coast last week, and Nick Alexander worked with them. It was NOT easy for them to get on the stage. They were feeling pretty raw. But I think they found that performing music was healing for them. I concur that people reacted in the moment and in the wake of such a profound tragic event. But I wouldn't fault anyone for taking a pause before continuing in the way that they felt was best in order to put on a performance that they can stand behind and deliver to an audience that is ready for it.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2015, 02:36:16 pm »
how many here remember how they felt in the week after 9/11?  who was ready to rock out that week? 

i certainly wasn't.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2015, 02:36:42 pm »
There is no way I would be able to continue a tour after that. Just watching that 3 seconds of video they posted with the gunfire...How do you go back on stage after you saw everyone in front of you gunned down?