Author Topic: Podcast recommendations  (Read 33003 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Podcast recommendations
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2016, 04:46:58 pm »
You guys do know I have it on good authority that if you don't stop posting .gifs, Seth is just going to shut this whole sh*t show down, right?
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2016, 04:48:24 pm »
oword

killsaly

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2016, 04:52:13 pm »
i try to keep the GIFs in the GIF thread... But I felt that GIF was the best response to Sidehatch's meme.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2016, 07:47:27 pm »
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2017, 12:45:35 pm »
Switched on Pop and Song Exploder both deconstruct songs and interview the artists.  Interesting to see "behind the curtain" on music...

From the same guy who does Song Exploder and The West Wing Weekly, a new podcast called City Soundtracks, a traveling conversation about the people, places and moments that shape our musical lives. Each episode features an artist and a city where musicians lead listeners on a tour of the city through conversation and music.
27>34

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2017, 02:33:22 pm »
How is schpiel spelled anyway?
Uh, spiel.

as in, "glockenspiel".
What is the overlap of people who do not know how to spell "spiel" correctly but do know how to spell "glockenspiel"? That venn diagram has to be sliver-esque.
LVMH

walkie,talkie

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2017, 11:28:07 pm »
anybody listening, to the Richard simmons podcast, "missing Richard simmons"

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2017, 08:05:11 am »
I have it downloaded, but haven't broken the seal yet.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2017, 10:24:24 am »

Yes, intriguing...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2017, 12:35:52 pm »
thanks for the recommendation of S-Town, imma gonna save that one for my next road trip.

two podcasts that i've thoroughly enjoyed:

The Message - http://themessagepodcast.com/about/
LifeAfter (you get this one by subscribing to The Message, it's the same feed)

both are a cross of classic radio theater and the SciFi channel - don't knock it 'til you try it.  the stories got me completely hooked.  The Message episodes are 10-12 minutes each so you burn through 'em. 
<sig>

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2017, 01:08:38 pm »

Yes, intriguing...
I listened to this but I had some issues with it. It constantly made reference to rumours -- Richard is gay, he's dressing in drag -- but then said the issues were off-limits and they weren't going to discuss them. You don't get to cut the baby in half. Either don't mention them at all or look into them. You can't pretend you're a journalist by mentioning something everyone knows (RS is gay) or rumors (he's transitioning) and then refuse to look into them. Oh, so you're just intending to do a shitty job. Great.

The whole thing with the masseuse is a perfect example. Put in the context of a jilted ex-lover (which is what anyone with an IQ of 75 knows he is) it colors all their testimony. But our lame narrator refuses to address that.

I liked it more at the beginning and thinks it reveals that RS is actually really fascinating both as a person and a psychological case study but it got absolutely nowhere. It walked a weird line between being titillating with the rumors but not actually journalistic in its reporting on them.
LVMH

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2017, 01:09:44 pm »
I don't think I've mentioned this in this thread before but I have come to love How Did This Get Made? I think much of the back catalogue is now behind a paywall but it cracks me up so much. Jason Manzukis, or whatever his name is, is in his perfect element ripping terrible films to shreds.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 01:16:11 pm by Julian, Coastal ELITE »
LVMH

K8teebug

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2017, 10:04:06 am »
S-Town is amazing. Also really liked In The Dark.

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2017, 10:12:48 am »
S-Town is amazing. Also really liked In The Dark.
In The Dark was a solid B for me. Not elite. A second-tier podcast.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2017, 11:23:46 am »
I don't think I've mentioned this in this thread before but I have come to love How Did This Get Made? I think much of the back catalogue is now behind a paywall but it cracks me up so much. Jason Manzukis, or whatever his name is, is in his perfect element ripping terrible films to shreds.

Do you need to have seen the bad movie in advance of each episode in order to get the most out of it?  I can't do a podcast that requires homework.