Author Topic: 9:30 world's fair....?!  (Read 55088 times)

Re: 9:30 world's fair....?!
« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2016, 10:09:46 am »
Oh, and I feel dumb as shit this morning for not getting a free tattoo.
I know I was really tempted too...
slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2016, 12:39:04 pm »
Couldn't help buying a poster but was the only person I saw that wanted the F  Street one. I actually liked the V Street one better but I had to go with the joint I grew up with.

« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2016, 12:54:14 pm »
Couldn't help buying a poster but was the only person I saw that wanted the F  Street one. I actually liked the V Street one better but I had to go with the joint I grew up with.
The V street one was pretty cool

I normally don't buy the show posters as I don't have any where to display them
the artist RockestareRed did them

I was a little surprised by the one poster that I bought in a long time ended up being rehashed for this

this one has the josh shadow
slack

killsaly

« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2016, 12:56:09 pm »
You do not have walls?  Weird...

Yada

« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2016, 01:12:33 pm »

My guess he doesn't decorate his home like a teen.

« Reply #140 on: January 08, 2016, 01:14:22 pm »

you'd be surprised how hard it is to find a wall to hang things on

unfortunately aesthetics and lack of basement or mancave make hanging posters for rock shows impossible
and my 49% vote on all decorating decisions is a factor
slack

« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2016, 01:34:05 pm »
so over on the 930s facebook page, there were several people quite angry saying that black artists weren't represented at all other than a public enemy setlist, bad brains something or the other and like 1 other thing.

i haven't been yet.  thoughts?

Yeah, I got all annoyed at this woman.
930 is and always has been great to black performers (and concert goers)
there was major representation in just about every display there
and they weren't just token things, they were prominent

slack

« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2016, 01:35:21 pm »
post will follow in the morning when I have sobered up a bit..
what did that junkie give you...we're post noon and no update
slack

« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2016, 02:52:44 pm »
while Seth and the staph get mad props constantly
here's a great interview with some of the other key players
Audrey Fix Schaefer, Communications Director for I.M.P. Productions and Maggie Cannon, Director of Marketing for the 9:30 Club and I.M.P.
slack

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2016, 03:01:52 pm »
so over on the 930s facebook page, there were several people quite angry saying that black artists weren't represented at all other than a public enemy setlist, bad brains something or the other and like 1 other thing.

Not to mention the entire video board/section dedicated solely to gogo and in the green room there was a cutout of Chuck Brown and the hair dryer + story of James Brown! Plus a cool sign for George Clinton's dressing room that I liked a lot  ;D

Some people just like to stir shit up. It wasn't like this was about Jazz in DC and snubbing Duke Ellington or something. Come on.
‼‼?‼‼

saintangelsin

« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2016, 05:06:02 pm »

Not to mention the entire video board/section dedicated solely to gogo and in the green room there was a cutout of Chuck Brown and the hair dryer + story of James Brown! Plus a cool sign for George Clinton's dressing room that I liked a lot  ;D

Some people just like to stir shit up. It wasn't like this was about Jazz in DC and snubbing Duke Ellington or something. Come on.

Real talk - I'm a white gal from rural mountain Maryland. The 930 club was how I learned about Go-go and Chuck Brown when I was a teenager. The lady who lodged that complaint about the exhibit has no clue how much of a multicultural place the club is. It's more than just black or white acts, it's about the fact the venue was and still is a place to learn new music, meet new people and all sorts of things. Plus, I don't know about anyone else, but I feel the crowds I saw last night at the exhibit displayed loudly just how diverse the club is in terms of its history, culture, roots, etc.

Here's the thing that pisses me off... I'm cool about talking about race, but this lady should've checked her privilege at the door. According to the article WAMU published - yeah they did an interview with her- she saw the exhibit as part of a VIP thing on Tuesday. Per a few club friends I talked to last night - Tuesday night was huge VIP as in the Obamas were there. So I'm doing the math and find it really pompous that considering all the hard work the staph put into this and the fact she was there when the President and the mayor and their families were there - who the hell is she to say crap? I'm not trying to stir anything up. I'm just annoyed how easy it is for someone with an ego to get this attention especially since last night felt like a celebration of everything I love about DC - the 930 club, punk and go-go.

hutch

« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2016, 05:08:10 pm »
^yah!

some people see racism everywhere they look......and they see everything in terms of race..

notme

« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2016, 05:48:27 pm »
if you want to see black artists you need to go to the birchmere.

Yada

« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2016, 05:50:53 pm »
link to article?

hutch

« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2016, 06:30:06 pm »
I don't think it was an article.. I think it was just somebody's stupid comment on the 930 Facebook page..

Anyways, moving on to important things.. there was a Ween item at the World's Fair Yada.. so you must go.