Author Topic: The LCD Soundsystem "Not a Reunion" Thread  (Read 15062 times)

moeszyslak

Re: The LCD Soundsystem "Not a Reunion" Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2016, 12:39:03 pm »
avery was part of the 2009 NINJA tour.

You mean NIN's final tour...before they toured again.  Add them to the list!

vansmack

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2016, 01:06:20 pm »
The very first one to burn me was The Who.  After the success of the RS tour in 1981, they launched their own massive stadium tour and literally called it the "Farewell Tour" in 1982.  I was very sad when the show was over.

So when they came back in 1989 with the Kids Are Alright Tour I was stoked to see them again, but my dad was pissed.  So pissed that we didn't go see the performance of Tommy at the Shrine Auditorium.  When we watched it on pay per view instead, it was so good that my dad regretted the decision and I learned a valuable lesson about music.

Thus I don't care that LCD Soundsystem said they were done and I'm happy to have the opportunity to see them again.  I won't do it at Coachella, but I welcome the chance at a smaller venue.  If it doesn't happen, so be it....   
27>34

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2016, 01:22:29 pm »
The very first one to burn me was The Who.  After the success of the RS tour in 1981, they launched their own massive stadium tour and literally called it the "Farewell Tour" in 1982.  I was very sad when the show was over.
Did the clash open for that one?
slack

K8teebug

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2016, 01:24:05 pm »
avery was part of the 2009 NINJA tour.

You mean NIN's final tour...before they toured again.  Add them to the list!

Ha. I'm actually more pissed about that, but also don't care because Trent Reznor's arms are fine.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2016, 01:40:42 pm »
Yes the Clash were on that 82 Who tour and at least in Detroit also Eddie Money, who decided to play a longer than allotted set, thus cutting The Clash short.  I heard they fined him for the offense..
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2016, 02:03:10 pm »
Did the clash open for that one?

Yes.  One of two times that I had tickets to the Clash and missed them.  It was a Friday night and traffic was a mess from Orange County to LA - we arrived late(ish) and at the time I really wasn't that into punk as much as following my folks roots in classic rock.  The Clash had already started when we arrived, and we stayed in the parking lot so my parents and their friends could get stoned before we went in.  I heard a few songs from the lot, but truthfully, I only knew what the radio played and wasn't pushing to go in - a few months later I would get more heavily into them...

...which leads to the second time I missed the Clash.  US Festival, 1983.  Yes, I had tickets to Mick Jones last performance with the Clash but we left early.  If you couldn't tell by now, I grew up with pretty cool music parents.  They went to the 1982 US Festival without us, but took us in 1983.  On Saturday, it was all the 80's KROQ bands with the Clash as the headliner.  The show is cruising along and we're having fun, then the Clash don't come on.  An hour goes by, people start leaving as rumors are circulating that they're not playing.  My folks take us back to the camp ground and about 2 hours later they finally come on and we can hear it, but couldn't see it.  There was some fight with Wozniak about ticket prices or amount paid or something, but we walked out after waiting an hour.  A few months later Mick Jones leaves the band I never got to see them.

The next day I saw Van Halen and the day after that I saw U2 for the first of many times (Bono climbed the rigging during Electric Co and it absolutely blew away 10 year old Smackie) and many other awesome bands, but I failed to realize how much I would regret leaving that Clash show.  That 1983 US Festival was a defining moment for Smackie, both good and bad.   
27>34

K8teebug

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2016, 04:36:31 pm »
If we talked about all the shows we missed, my list would be so so so long...

hutch

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2016, 08:38:59 pm »
I definitely look forward to the new album.. concert will depend on venue..I'd see them at Merriweather again...that was one of the best shows I have ever seen...

but that doesn't mean I have to pretend along with him and the lemmings...I also remember the ticket sale fiasco for the "FINAL SHOW EVER!" at Madison Square Garden where all the tickets ended up in the hands of scalpers..I guess you all do not.. or dont' care if a band scalps its own fans while feigning outrage..remember the James Murphy anger at "scalpers" and telling them to "eat shit"...pretty clever when you're the scalper...

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/the-great-lcd-soundsystem-ticket-fiasco-6435275

and even more detail

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2011/03/24/james-murphys-role-in-the-lcd-soundsystem-ticket-fiasco/

I can like a band's music even if I don't think they walk on water..
James Murphy is all about the benjamins.. and this "reunion" was always going to happen...I don't fault him for that because I really don't care.. its just sad that he feels he has to go through this bullshit to retain "artistic integrity" and maximize his money instead of just doing it the way the Stones do it... for the old fashioned professed goal of making the most money possible... nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:41:14 pm by hutch »

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2016, 09:46:15 pm »
All the tickets ended in the hands of scalpers?! Yes, I know there was a huge reselling of tix but there were plenty of us in attendance that absolutely loved the show and paid the normal price tag. I guess I was lucky as were most my friends. We all saw a bunch of their shows at T5 and then saw the final show at MSG. Sure I know there were a ton of fans who were shut out, but everyone from everywhere wanted to be there.

Anyway - I cannot be happier to hear that theyre reforming. I spent a fortune on the above shows but had seen them over the years and they never disappointed. I still remember their show at Webster Hall thinking the floor would fall through to the next level. New Yorkers sure would dance whenever they played.

Its hard to be angry at a band for this. I get it that some fans are devastated, but they don't have to go see them again. I mean enough bands reform for purely cash grabs and only play Coachella... Id rather have a band do a full tour than some one-off show that the odds of going to are slim to none.

I definitely look forward to the new album.. concert will depend on venue..I'd see them at Merriweather again...that was one of the best shows I have ever seen...

but that doesn't mean I have to pretend along with him and the lemmings...I also remember the ticket sale fiasco for the "FINAL SHOW EVER!" at Madison Square Garden where all the tickets ended up in the hands of scalpers..I guess you all do not.. or dont' care if a band scalps its own fans while feigning outrage..remember the James Murphy anger at "scalpers" and telling them to "eat shit"...pretty clever when you're the scalper...

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/the-great-lcd-soundsystem-ticket-fiasco-6435275

and even more detail

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2011/03/24/james-murphys-role-in-the-lcd-soundsystem-ticket-fiasco/

I can like a band's music even if I don't think they walk on water..
James Murphy is all about the benjamins.. and this "reunion" was always going to happen...I don't fault him for that because I really don't care.. its just sad that he feels he has to go through this bullshit to retain "artistic integrity" and maximize his money instead of just doing it the way the Stones do it... for the old fashioned professed goal of making the most money possible... nothing wrong with that.
HeyLa

hutch

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2016, 11:38:22 pm »
well I have turned the page and am looking forward to a great new album....I always thought James Murphy did some great bowie influenced music (and by extension the most important band of the past three decades: Joy Division/New Order) ..there are some songs on the last two LCD albums that sound like they could be from Bowie's Berlin trilogy (high praise) and Murphy's role on Blackstar is cool:

LCD Soundsystem founder James Murphy plays percussion on two tracks, though his role on the album was originally going to be much more significant. "At one point we were talking about three producers for the album: David, James and myself," says Visconti. "[Murphy] was there for a brief time, but he had his own projects to go off to." Adds Guiliana, "His role was never really defined. He brought in some synths and some percussion and had a ton of ideas."

for me 2016 is the year of Bowie.. and because I'm seeing the Cure -FINALLY- the year of Robert Smith... which works out well cause they go together pretty well..

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

vansmack

27>34

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
LVMH

walk,on,by

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2016, 10:53:47 pm »
you know what is great about American reality . . . we find out about horrible things like years after they happen, so by then, no one really gives a cat shit covered in litter, and barely even reads the article, or stops long enough to not buy that overpriced ticket to the next farewell show.

james from lsd soundsystemisbroke, is not skinny . . . hate him, jul,ian, hate him.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2016, 09:38:31 am »
james from lsd soundsystemisbroke, is not skinny . . . hate him, jul,ian, hate him.
I don't hate all fat people. I hate fat people who argue being fat is not their fault and/or that they are oppressed by skinny people.
LVMH