Author Topic: OSCAR TALK or Why Mad Max Is The Best Movie of the Year, Sidehatch  (Read 34302 times)

Relaxer

I guess it's the best of the year. It's the best of my year anyway, but my film opinions are pretty terrible. Jesus Christ.
oword

Relaxer

Re: OSCAR TALK or Why Mad Max Is The Best Movie of the Year, Sidehatch
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 10:33:53 am »
Leo will probably win for Revenant but I don't think it's a particularly good acting job. It's a helluva endurance performance but I don't know how much acting was involved. Still, he's due and his colleagues will probably be all "Oh man I sure as hell wouldn't do that, he's got my vote"
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 10:50:14 am »
I haven't seen Revenant. Will watch Mad Max this weekend. I liked Spotlight alot. Going to see Carol on Sunday.

K8teebug

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 10:50:32 am »
Oh! And Hateful Eight! I loved it. But, I'm a huge Tarantino fan.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 02:51:09 pm »
Still dumbfounded by the Mad Max nod. Probably the most fun movie of the year and Star Wars is right behind that. Can't believe Sicario was snubbed!

The Martian was also some garbage. Get that garbage out of here.
‼‼?‼‼

Space Freely

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 02:58:29 pm »
Still dumbfounded by the Mad Max nod. Probably the most fun movie of the year and Star Wars is right behind that. Can't believe Sicario was snubbed!

What is surprising about Mad Max getting a nod? It was a huge hit with the critics and at the box office.

Same with the Martian.

killsaly

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 02:59:24 pm »
I have yet to see any of the nominated movies, except Ex Machina and Star Wars: The Force Awakens...

I do have Sicario and Mad Max on deck to watch one of these days... I have to finish my Friday the 13th marathon first though.

Also boo to the Oscars for not nominating The Human Centipede 3 (Final Sequence) for anything.  While I have not seen it, I can say with certainty that it is probably the greatest movie ever made. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:03:41 pm by killsaly »

Relaxer

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 03:21:15 pm »
I'm surprised by all the attention given to Spotlight. It was good but its basically a fictionalized 60 Minutes piece expanded to 2 hours. I enjoy 'procedure' movies but this one just seems to be a standard issue movie.
oword

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 04:19:08 pm »

What is surprising about Mad Max getting a nod? It was a huge hit with the critics and at the box office.

Same with the Martian.
I just can't think of the last movie that was so action packed and kind of crazy like Mad Max was/is to get nominated like that. It's 2 hours of cars exploding. It's 100% awesome. Just caught me by surprise.

The Martian is poopoo.
‼‼?‼‼

walk,on,by

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 04:45:11 pm »
i haven't seen the nominations yet . . . were there any people of color nominations, whether major or minor?  People were forecasting that would be the big scandal this year, that whitey would get them all.

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 04:48:22 pm »
i haven't seen the nominations yet . . . were there any people of color nominations, whether major or minor?  People were forecasting that would be the big scandal this year, that whitey would get them all.

No people of color were nominated for best actor, best actress, best supporting actor, or best supporting actress and no films featuring African-American actors were nominated in the best picture category.

Though Chris Rock is hosting!
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 04:48:25 pm »
Of course there wasn't. This is the Oscars. Straight Outta Compton got a writers nom, that's pretty much it.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 04:48:31 pm »

I didn't really notice. How many Caucasians do you think will make the NBA All Star Game?

walk,on,by

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 04:49:30 pm »
who watches basketball, anymore?

killsaly

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 04:59:19 pm »
I am not into basketball, so I had to search for 2015 NBA All Star Game, and click on the roster.  Since I only knew a few names, I had to click all of them, to see if there were in fact, white dudes, playing, in the, NBA, All, Star, Game.  There were in fact, 4. 

http://www.nba.com/allstar/2015/players/

White dudes:
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/pau_gasol/index.html
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kyle_korver/index.html
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marc_gasol/index.html
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dirk_nowitzki/index.html

It might be a small percentage, but at least they are more racially diverse than the Oscars.