Author Topic: Parenting issues  (Read 66014 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Parenting issues
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 10:03:24 am »
As an adult, are you expected/required by your employer to do work at home at night beyond the eight (or more?) hours you put in at the office during the day?

if you work for the government, no.  depending on what private or NGO you work for, maybe.  while working in consulting, working evenings and weekend was an unavoidable reality, one of reason why i got out.  my strategy has been only partially successful: at my current gig, i'd say i have to work at home about 25-40% of the time.

What if everybody just said no to this. Would the world fall apart? I mean with computers and shit, we're already doing way more work than the paper pushers in generations past.

What if we didn't spend x% of our time posting on message boards or reading things on the internet unrelated to our jobs. Would we still need to spend our evenings doing work?
actually, it makes it a lot easier to justify ducking out midday for a kid-school thing if you're available more than just 9-5

Are you talking about half day kindegarten (I wasn't even aware they still did that)? What other kid-school things require you to duck out midday?
other kids school things. field trips, doctors appointments, holiday parties, ect.
Adorable recitations of the Gettysburg Address with everyone wearing fake beards, class plays where someone wears a fake beard, class elections where one kid attempts to appear older and more mature because he's wearing a fake beard, social studies fairs where your kid has done a project on the history of fake beards, etc etc. My parents were at my school all the time for stuff.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 10:04:16 am »
as a very intelligent woman once said.... "I dream of an America with nudity and F-words on network TV, where the whole world doesn't stop because a school bus did. Children are the future?today belongs to me!"

The joys of being childless!

suck it parents! that's what you get for having kids!

I wonder if you'll feel this way when you're 85 in a nursing home and have nobody left who gives a shit about you?

Imagine the disappointment of having kids and still being 85 years old in a nursing home and no one giving a shit about you.

Space Freely

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 10:15:57 am »
as a very intelligent woman once said.... "I dream of an America with nudity and F-words on network TV, where the whole world doesn't stop because a school bus did. Children are the future?today belongs to me!"

The joys of being childless!

suck it parents! that's what you get for having kids!

I wonder if you'll feel this way when you're 85 in a nursing home and have nobody left who gives a shit about you?

Imagine the disappointment of having kids and still being 85 years old in a nursing home and no one giving a shit about you.

That's why we spoil them rotten now and hope for the best later, right?

Space Freely

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 08:57:20 am »
Dear parent of my kid's friend,

I know my kid is partly to blame here. But sometimes eight year olds don't know better and the adults have to be the smart people in the room.

When our kid came over for a playdate, for the love of God (and I capitalize God for your benefit, since you seem to want everyone to know how important your Faith is), please don't give her unlimited, unsupervised access to all of your Costo garbage treats and girl scout cookies. The next 12 hours after her departure from your house didn't go well for her, poor thing.

Cheers and God Bless,

Space

Space Freely

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 10:42:50 am »
As music living parents, how much do you try to steer your kid's music taste?

My daughter's music taste is pretty much limited to a small subset of music that my wife and I have introduced her. She hates or dismisses most of what we play for her, but what does stick she tends to obsess on (Pet Sounds (good lord i think she plays that album every freaking day), early Cure, Dolly Parton, Ashley Monroe, she had a Dr. Dog phase). She dismisses modern top 40 (which i assume is what a lot of kids her age listen to) as rubbish.

My friend has a kid the same age who was also latching onto his parent's music (I think they're more into jam band and jazz). He said they then made a conscious effort to expose their son (and themselves) to music that typical eight year olds listen to (whatever that is), so that their kid would "fit in musically" with other kids.

I'm not sure how necessary what my friend did is....

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 10:47:10 am »

My daughter's music taste is pretty much limited to a small subset of music that my wife and I have introduced her. She hates or dismisses most of what we play for her, but what does stick she tends to obsess on (Pet Sounds (good lord i think she plays that album every freaking day), early Cure, Dolly Parton, Ashley Monroe, she had a Dr. Dog phase). She dismisses modern top 40 (which i assume is what a lot of kids her age listen to) as rubbish.

My friend has a kid the same age who was also latching onto his parent's music (I think they're more into jam band and jazz). He said they then made a conscious effort to expose their son (and themselves) to music that typical eight year olds listen to (whatever that is), so that their kid would "fit in musically" with other kids.

I think both of you should set your kids free to explore the world.  Are you afraid that if she listens to Black Sabbath, she'll commit suicide?  Are you afraid she might be a Nickelback fan?  Do you want to shelter her from all that is unholy and Celine Dion-related?

hutch

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 10:48:26 am »

lately my kdis are not interested....music is like background to them.. turntable is almost always spinning..

i can tell you one thing.. i will never EVER expose my children to music that typical eight year olds listen to  so my kid "fits in" musically... "fitting in" is not what we do around these parts...i doubt we could do it even if we tried real hard.

i do play a lot of kids music.. like yesterday i played the sesame disco lp which has the wonderful "I lost my cookie at the disco" (by cookie monster obviously)... i've also said many times how much i love raffi.. ella jenkins too...

i sometimes think of getting one of those kid bop cds but i'm pretty sure they would be horrible...

i would love to pass on my love of music to my kids... my love of collecting vinyl..but my expectation is that either it will happen naturally or it won't

Space Freely

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 11:01:29 am »
LOL@Kids Bop.

Has never heard or it before yesterday. My daughter came home from school yesterday saying that the teacher had played "this horrible music called Kids Bop."

The only "kids" music that we really ever exposed her to was the TMBG ABC, 123, and science albums....which I think held up on there own musically (and we prefer to their "adult" stuff).

Relaxer

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 11:25:56 am »
When we're in the car, I usually play the music I want to hear, which is usually KPOP. But I encourage them to listen to whatever they like, so we'll play 94.7 too. Hey, you want to jam out to 21 Pilots or whatnot, you go right ahead. I grew up loving the Thompson Twins and John Parr and Bryan Adams and eventually made my own way to Suicidal Tendencies and the Minutemen and Jesus and Mary Chain. When they're on headphones, they can listen to what they want.

No way I'm going to be this guy

http://www.theonion.com/article/cool-dad-raising-daughter-on-media-that-will-put-h-26132
oword

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 11:43:10 am »
My friend has a kid the same age who was also latching onto his parent's music (I think they're more into jam bands
Might have to call child protective services on them...that is the most heinous act of child abuse I've seen in a while
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 11:49:48 am by SideBurner |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| 🚀 »
slack

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 11:46:34 am »
we'll play 94.7 too. Hey, you want to jam out to 21 Pilots or whatnot, you go right ahead. I grew up loving the Thompson Twins and John Parr and Bryan Adams and eventually made my own way to Suicidal Tendencies and the Minutemen and Jesus and Mary Chain. When they're on headphones, they can listen to what they want.

same here
although my parents had some great vinyl (IMO) when I was a wee one that they let me play
lots of rod steward/foreigner/billy joel/SatNightFev

When I started buying albums, I first bought Foreginer 4 then the bee gees....after that I think it was Metal for a few years and then new wave and punk
that's when they bought me my own turntable and headphones :)
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 11:50:09 am »
we'll play 94.7 too. Hey, you want to jam out to 21 Pilots or whatnot, you go right ahead. I grew up loving the Thompson Twins and John Parr and Bryan Adams and eventually made my own way to Suicidal Tendencies and the Minutemen and Jesus and Mary Chain. When they're on headphones, they can listen to what they want.

same here
although my parents had some great vinyl (IMO) when I was a wee one that they let me play
lots of rod steward/foreigner/billy joel/SNF

When I started buying album, I first bought Foreginer 4 then the bee gees....after that I think it was Metal for a few years and then new wave and punk
that's when they bought me my own turntable and headphones :)

I think my first albums bought were Foreigner Double Vision and Billy Joel's 52nd Street. In retrospect, it would have been much cooler if I had just stuck with my dad's Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, etc. country albums. At least I have his lp's now, whereas my Foreigner and Billy Joel crap are long gone.

Space Freely

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 11:51:14 am »
My friend has a kid the same age who was also latching onto his parent's music (I think they're more into jam bands
Might have to call child protective services on them...that is the most heinous act of child abuse I've seen in a while

LOL, I'll take jam bands, and especially jazz, over some of the music that gets talked about on this discussion board.

brennser

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 11:53:03 am »
As an adult, are you expected/required by your employer to do work at home at night beyond the eight (or more?) hours you put in at the office during the day?

if you work for the government, no.  

I beg to differ.....

brennser

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 11:55:30 am »

I don't......or rather I tried and failed