Author Topic: Twitter thread  (Read 171628 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Twitter thread
« Reply #1140 on: November 18, 2022, 01:43:53 am »
For all the “he’s ruining Twitter” talk, the Twitter experience is exactly what it was before he bought it 

except that it isn't.  my daily starting point on twitter is the "for you" page, which presents content based on my past consumption (i.e. tracks my interests).  as of today, the layout of that page is different, and the content is notably off.  none of my interests are there, instead is all generic middle-of-the-road stuff.  there also used to be "Events" (like the Olympics, War In Ukraine, Midterm Elections, etc) and those are now gone.  small changes, maybe, but twitter has suddenly become A LOT less useful for me.

i'm seriously wondering how the app is going to remain functional over the next week.  per reports on twitter (irony!), entire departments have quit.  after firing half the staff on tuesday, elon pitched "twitter 2.0" to the survivors (~3.5k), and sounds like folks are bailing en masse.  i've read various reports that all of InfoSec has quit, payroll is gone, senior engineers walked out of a meeting elon called to pitch 2.0 to them... they're collecting the names of those who have accepted elon's offer of working 80 hours a week and sleeping on office floors, which is under 1,000.  from 7k earlier this week to under 1k.  companies collapse from a lot less than that.  legal issues could very quickly mount if twitter can't be kept secure (InfoSec), if its employees rights can't be respected (CA employees can sue if they're not paid on time... how's payroll doing?), etc.  at a minimum he's going to have to bring in an army of expensive emergency temps just to keep the lights on.  there is some evidence that elon is walking back his 2.0 offer/threat, TBD if it's too late.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 01:52:14 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1141 on: November 18, 2022, 01:48:17 am »
some of the tweets about twitter's turmoil have been downright savage:

Washington State Dept. of Natural Resources @waDNR
Update: The Twitter wildfire is at 44 billion acres and 0% contained.

Deej Storer @DnDeej
In a bold move to make Twitter 2.0 more profitable, Elon has decided to change the culture and working conditions at Twitter HQ to more closely resemble the diamond mines that made him rich in the first place.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1142 on: November 18, 2022, 11:37:55 am »
so anyone made the leap to Mastodon?  what sever are all us old geezers going for music info?
T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1143 on: November 18, 2022, 12:33:29 pm »
so anyone made the leap to Mastodon? 
I mean they're fine if they're on a festival bill or something but I wouldn't go out of my way to see them at this point.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1144 on: November 18, 2022, 12:42:19 pm »
They made for an interesting listen on Strong Songs

https://strongsongspodcast.com/episode/blood-and-thunder-by-mastodon

« Reply #1145 on: November 18, 2022, 01:13:09 pm »
so anyone made the leap to Mastodon?  what sever are all us old geezers going for music info?
@owillis
whichever mastodon person who comes up with a process that just hides the server selection thing from you will probably win, you dont seem to understand how much of a weird hang point that is to normal people.
slack

« Reply #1146 on: November 18, 2022, 01:29:51 pm »
slack

vansmack

« Reply #1147 on: November 18, 2022, 01:45:12 pm »
You're fired.
27>34

« Reply #1148 on: November 18, 2022, 03:15:57 pm »
@elonmusk
Kathie Griffin, Jorden Peterson & Babylon Bee have been reinstated.

Trump decision has not yet been made.
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1149 on: November 18, 2022, 03:41:52 pm »
way to harsh my buzz.. just read a lovely thread about how they invited to yale and gave a science lab tour to that little girl whose neighbor had called the cops on them over the collection of fireflies in her own yard...
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #1150 on: November 20, 2022, 03:16:51 am »
Trump reinstated on Twitter. Ugh

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1151 on: November 20, 2022, 06:42:37 am »
the copyright strike software also not working as someone in two minutes segments posted the entire Hackers Movies.. more of that on it’s way for sure
T.Rex

« Reply #1152 on: November 20, 2022, 09:16:40 pm »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1153 on: November 21, 2022, 06:55:43 pm »
do need a rolling compendium of celebs who have quit twitter?  no, of course we don't - would be a thread as boring at the integers one.  however, we can name them here.

jack white
trent reznor

(nipping this one in the bud: no one cares if you are or aren't on twitter, jules.  you're not a celeb)
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1154 on: November 21, 2022, 07:08:53 pm »
(nipping this one in the bud: no one cares if you are or aren't on twitter, jules.  you're not a celeb)
You're the only person interjecting me into this topic.
LVMH