Author Topic: DC Metro Shutdown and Issues Thread  (Read 7424 times)

killsaly

DC Metro Shutdown and Issues Thread
« on: May 09, 2016, 11:22:00 am »
Discuss.

Space Freely

Re: DC Metro Shutdown and Issues Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:36:03 am »
I'm not a Metro rider (but my wife is) but am curious as to what extent employers (federal and non-federal) will allow for/encourage unscheduled telework based on Metro repair schedule.

killsaly

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 12:28:36 pm »
I almost started a thread called "Riding on the Metro" but it's rarely an issue for me. The Year(s) of the Shutdowns will probably result in earlier showtimes and fewer late shows.
😐 🎶

walk,on,by

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 12:31:43 pm »
Move out of the city. Drive a car. Pollute the world. The end.

hutch

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 02:30:09 pm »
I think anyone riding the metro at this point is playing with fire.. literally.... its that unsafe.... I've told my partner she really needs to begin driving in...

I fuckin' hate metro and hope they privatize it, renegotiate the deal with the unions and fire all their surly staff... Every single time I have needed help from them they have been useless. They act like I work for them and in some ways I guess I do.....

Also Jack Evans needs to be relieved of his duties regarding oversight... because under his "control" metro has become craptastic. I'm going to write him an email soon..

Its not good enough to say "oh yeah, sorry we've sucked all your money, continued to suck and we need more money.. just trust us.. this time we really mean to fix it!"

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 02:55:53 pm »
I think anyone riding the metro at this point is playing with fire.. literally.... its that unsafe....
let's stop with the hyperbole...yes there have been issues and someone did die
but I would venture that it is safer than driving on 66/395/495 or even rt 50 by big percentage points

hope they privatize it, renegotiate the deal with the unions and fire all their surly staff...
that's not a bad idea
Also Jack Evans needs to be relieved of his duties regarding oversight... because under his "control" metro has become craptastic. I'm going to write him an email soon..
not a bad idea as well
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 10:29:50 am »

bob72

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 10:37:56 am »
Is Metro on Fire?
this made me lol, not sure if it's serious or hipster ironic
PENIS

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 11:06:29 am »
Is Metro on Fire?

This website makes a reasonable guess if a WMATA line is on fire, smoking, or has fire department activity based on twitter.

In reality, most fire department activity would be to assist an injured or sick person.
😐 🎶

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 01:56:47 pm »
Is Metro on Fire?
that's awesome, hutch is going to have to make that his home page
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 12:02:58 am »
WMATA's general worker contract expires 6/30. I'm in strong favor of unions, even for Metro. This time, management definitely has the upper hand.  There will probably be significant changes in disciplinary and job security provisions. With Metro's reputation at an all-time low, the public will not tolerate a strike.
😐 🎶

hutch

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 10:25:47 am »
They should also determine which long-term employees should be offered early retirement to make them go the fuck away.
😐 🎶

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?