Author Topic: 2017 Albums  (Read 31819 times)

Re: 2017 Albums
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2017, 05:29:55 pm »
Julien Baker gets signed to Madator
they should make me their A&R guy

?Funeral Pyre? will be out as a 7″ on March 17 with ?Distant Solar System,? an unheard song from the Sprained Ankle sessions, on the flip.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/julien-baker-signs-to-matador-releases-new-single-reissuing-debut-lp/?trackback=tsmclip
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2017, 05:37:03 pm »
Happy for her but this probably precludes her from recording the followup in Richmond (where the first one was recorded).
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2017, 11:34:38 am »
The new Cherry Glazerr LP is going to be awesome. The first few songs I've heard from it are all top notch. They're maturing very fast. If you don't know them, check them out.

http://cherry-glazerr.com/
http://www.stereogum.com/1919262/cherry-glazerr-nuclear-bomb-video-nsfw-ish/video/

Bagley

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2017, 04:50:24 pm »
Guided by Voices  ?August by Cake? (Robert Pollard?s 100th LP!)  April 7th
Double LP

ggw

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2017, 05:28:05 pm »
The Wrens:

Anyway, I hesitate to say, partially because it hardly matters in the bigger picture, especially the current political one, but...of the last batch of songs that needed more re-re-re-etc.-re-work after going to mastering last fall, I finished the last one & sent it off yesterday.

It's also that I do realize I've said this before so understandably the "it's finally done" message gets a little tiring (trust me, you can't imagine how tired I am of it, times some unimaginable googolplex math for my wife). This is a little different though, though mostly for reasons not worth getting into. But with whoever said it first in mind, that "a poem/work of art is never finished, only abandoned" (which I thought was Eliot but Googling says Valery; for it being a work of art that's abandoned, Google says DaVinci and even E.M. Forster), I've tried to abandon it before, at different lines I've drawn for different reasons in the sand, but finally, it's as close to 'done' as I can get it.
So finally, with acceptance, abandoned!

But this post isn't even about the album per se, in some sort of announcement sense, or certainly not anymore. It's almost entirely just a personal, getting-life-together update (by putting this behind me). More on a par with, 'hey, I graduated night school' or 'I've gotten a new job" or "I've finished years of work on a rock record in my 50s".

Why it took so long - 6 1/2 years, each ranging from 'less than satisfying' to profoundly unfun - also isn't worth getting into or at least not now. That answer lies at the intersection of Complicated & Deathly Boring, a place no one really needs to go. But specifically, to the extent you may be following for the music and not my own personal shenanigans, it being done now means it should be on-schedule to release in Sept., maybe Oct. So there's that, for what that's worth.

Anyway, it's been a weirdly euphoric morning where, after those 6 1/2 years, I don't have to fire up the failing computer (still running Logic 9 in Snow Leopard as it was the day this all started) to work on it.

I haven't felt this way since the summer of 2003, when the last one was also finally 'done' done, but not out yet (luckily for all, that was pre-social media sparing dozens an at-least-equal number of "done!" guesses).

Not sure quite what to do with myself. Maybe I'll dabble in music...

bearman🐻

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2017, 03:26:31 pm »
Luna is in the studio recording.

hutch

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2017, 05:06:26 pm »

oh!

bearman🐻

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2017, 04:56:56 pm »

oh!

Well, they said they were "in the studio"...I'm hoping that it's recording a new LP. Could just be rehearsing or doing demos.

Belle and Sebastian is recording though. Hopefully it's better than the last LP. That was a dud.

hutch

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2017, 12:32:53 pm »
new bob dylan triple album in late march... called triplicate.. more American songbook standards..

I have to say as much as I like the American Songbook and as great a singer as I think Bob is for some reason this does nothing for me.. hope this is the last of it...

K8teebug

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2017, 08:39:36 am »
The Wrens:

Anyway, I hesitate to say, partially because it hardly matters in the bigger picture, especially the current political one, but...of the last batch of songs that needed more re-re-re-etc.-re-work after going to mastering last fall, I finished the last one & sent it off yesterday.

It's also that I do realize I've said this before so understandably the "it's finally done" message gets a little tiring (trust me, you can't imagine how tired I am of it, times some unimaginable googolplex math for my wife). This is a little different though, though mostly for reasons not worth getting into. But with whoever said it first in mind, that "a poem/work of art is never finished, only abandoned" (which I thought was Eliot but Googling says Valery; for it being a work of art that's abandoned, Google says DaVinci and even E.M. Forster), I've tried to abandon it before, at different lines I've drawn for different reasons in the sand, but finally, it's as close to 'done' as I can get it.

But this post isn't even about the album per se, in some sort of announcement sense, or certainly not anymore. It's almost entirely just a personal, getting-life-together update (by putting this behind me). More on a par with, 'hey, I graduated night school' or 'I've gotten a new job" or "I've finished years of work on a rock record in my 50s".

Why it took so long - 6 1/2 years, each ranging from 'less than satisfying' to profoundly unfun - also isn't worth getting into or at least not now. That answer lies at the intersection of Complicated & Deathly Boring, a place no one really needs to go. But specifically, to the extent you may be following for the music and not my own personal shenanigans, it being done now means it should be on-schedule to release in Sept., maybe Oct. So there's that, for what that's worth.

Anyway, it's been a weirdly euphoric morning where, after those 6 1/2 years, I don't have to fire up the failing computer (still running Logic 9 in Snow Leopard as it was the day this all started) to work on it.

I haven't felt this way since the summer of 2003, when the last one was also finally 'done' done, but not out yet (luckily for all, that was pre-social media sparing dozens an at-least-equal number of "done!" guesses).

They are the George RR Martin of music. I doubt we will ever hear that album. Too bad because they are fucking brillant.

K8teebug

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2017, 08:40:10 am »
The new Cherry Glazerr LP is going to be awesome. The first few songs I've heard from it are all top notch. They're maturing very fast. If you don't know them, check them out.

http://www.stereogum.com/1919262/cherry-glazerr-nuclear-bomb-video-nsfw-ish/video/

Thanks for the heads up on this.

bearman🐻

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2017, 08:55:03 am »

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Saw them in DC and Boston...they're so much fun. If you ever have a chance to see them, they're great.

Bags

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2017, 06:54:25 pm »

Bags

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2017, 07:07:24 pm »
My thought exactly -- will we actually see this album?  I've been waiting for it for a decade (I know, I know, they put out The Meadowlands in 2003).  The Wrens in the Black Cat backroom one of my favorite shows of all time.  All of which means I can only be disappointed by a new album.  And yet, I'd like to find out for myself.  Fingers crossed.
The Wrens:

They are the George RR Martin of music. I doubt we will ever hear that album. Too bad because they are fucking brillant.

bearman🐻

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2017, 10:38:04 am »
http://www.npr.org/2017/02/23/516707175/first-listen-grandaddy-last-place

The new Grandaddy LP is up there with some of their best stuff. These guys still make great music.

Also, the new Feelies LP is out tomorrow, and it's another one that isn't part of the usual "well, we're doing a reunion so let's slap something together". It's solid. Both are solid arguments for when bands come back together for the right reasons.