Author Topic: TAN: ITT, we remember things from Seinfeld.  (Read 14998 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: TAN: ITT, we remember things from Seinfeld.
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 04:40:32 pm »
And why would he fly into Newark? JFK seems much more convenient given where his apartment is. Fuck, LGA is would be closer (timewise, IDK about pure mileage) too and he could avoid Jersey altogether.

TANxTAN - as a former upper west sider*, allow me to fill you in.

- getting to newark: 1 subway to penn station (10 mins), then a 25 min train to newark.  often the cheapest airport to fly out of.
- getting to JFK: a nightmare.  60 if you hop between subway and LIRR (light rail), 90 minutes on subway.  
- laguardia: 75-90 minutes, 2 subways, 1 bus.

but, but, i would never deign to take public transpo, i drive!  assuming you own a car (which is a big assumption, but i believe that in the alternate reality that is the seinfeld show they all did)
EWR: 45 mins
JFK: 60 mins
LGA: 30 mins

so LGA makes sense if you're driving... and not price sensitive.  parking much cheaper out in the desert that is newark.

* i lived a few blocks away from Tom's diner for a year.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:53:46 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

bob72

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 06:20:39 pm »
If you watch "the handicap spot" on Hulu (season 4 episode 22), Frank Constanza is not played by Jerry Stiller. It was reshot after Stiller was cast for continuity

Also:

PENIS

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 06:58:48 pm »
Lol old people

hutch

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 07:02:20 pm »
the internet and cell phones really made that show age so badly..its like watching i love lucy...

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 07:18:20 pm »
the internet and cell phones really made that show age so badly..its like watching i love lucy...
Also jerry's clothing.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 12:57:44 am »
Also jerry's clothing.

I don't know that the clothing affected the story lines though... the problem with the advent of cell phones and the internet is that they make the show plot lines seems implausible/unrealistic.. its like you go "wait a minute that doesn't make sense.." and then you catch yourself and go "oh... they didn't have cell phones..back then"

I can overlook the cheezy clothing though..

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 08:42:03 am »
I just look back and see what Jerry's wearing and its so ridiculous. Like I remember him being this guy who was basically just going from woman to woman but if he dressed like that now. . . no way. I don't really get that vibe with any of the other 3 characters clothing nearly the same way. It's like his have aged particularly egregiously.
LVMH

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 08:44:44 am »
And why would he fly into Newark? JFK seems much more convenient given where his apartment is. Fuck, LGA is would be closer (timewise, IDK about pure mileage) too and he could avoid Jersey altogether.

TANxTAN - as a former upper west sider*, allow me to fill you in.

- getting to newark: 1 subway to penn station (10 mins), then a 25 min train to newark.  often the cheapest airport to fly out of.
- getting to JFK: a nightmare.  60 if you hop between subway and LIRR (light rail), 90 minutes on subway.  
- laguardia: 75-90 minutes, 2 subways, 1 bus.

but, but, i would never deign to take public transpo, i drive!  assuming you own a car (which is a big assumption, but i believe that in the alternate reality that is the seinfeld show they all did)
EWR: 45 mins
JFK: 60 mins
LGA: 30 mins

so LGA makes sense if you're driving... and not price sensitive.  parking much cheaper out in the desert that is newark.

* i live a few blocks away from Tom's diner for a year.
Great info.

IIRC (if I remember correctly), there are several episodes with airplane related themes and I never recall them going to Newark. LGA and JFK are mentioned specifically several times. (There's one episode I remember where Kramer and George goes to pick Elaine and Jerry up at LGA only to find the flight has been re-routed to JFK.) The characters all seem to pick each other up at the airport as I remember, and I remember 3 of them definitely owning cars (Elaine is never made clear) so that might be why they went to LGA as often as they did.

What other airplane/airport related things does everyone remember about Seinfeld?
LVMH

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 08:46:32 am »
TANxTAN
The proper designation is TAN2.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 08:56:08 am »
Does it mean that I have a memory problem if I watched nearly every single episode of Seinfeld when it first aired (but not since) and remember very little of any of it?

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 09:15:18 am »
as a former upper west sider*, allow me to fill you in.

. . .

* i live a few blocks away from Tom's diner for a year.
TAN3 - I was in Manhattan with a friend earlier this year and they had never been to Tom's Diner and they are a huge Seinfeld fan so we decided to go for lunch. Got a taxi from outside MSG and gave the driver the address and they were incredulous that we wanted to go there. Wanted to confirm we were going to Brooklyn. I was like, "uh, no. . . we want to go to [showed address on phone]" and then added "up by Columbia. Still Manhattan." Guy proceeds to tell me "Columbia is nowhere near there." I'm just like "whatever dude, look, there's the address I want to go to. If you need to use the maps app on my phone that's fine but that's where we're going." Guy finally starts going and about 2 minutes says "look, I'm trying to help you guys out. You're clearly not from town. I don't want to charge you $40 for a long ride then you have to turn around and head back to your hotel because you don't know where you're going." I'm like "whatever, its fine. That's where I want to go, up by Columbia." 30 seconds of silence and dude mutters under his breathe "Columbia is nowhere near there" again.

Skip ahead for a ~30 minute awkward ride in silence as we do not want to engage this jackass anymore. Pull up outside Tom's, driver asks if we're good and my friend goes "yep, this is exactly where we wanted, thanks." As I'm getting out I notice that all the buildings lining Broadway have those triangle flag things hanging off the top of the building that says "COLUMBIA". My friend pays by card and I hand the guy $10 as a tip in cash and as I do I go "hey, what do those flags say? I guess we're near Columbia, huh?"

For the rest of the trip we suffixed all directions with "[address], please . . . and its nowhere near Columbia."

Moral of the story: do not argue with an authenticated LUXUROPHILE about the location of Ivy League schools.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:36:29 am by Julian, the BELOVED »
LVMH

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 09:16:00 am »
Does it mean that I have a memory problem if I watched nearly every single episode of Seinfeld when it first aired (but not since) and remember very little of any of it?
Well that's the whole point of the thread is it will help you to remember.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 10:00:30 am »
The characters all seem to pick each other up at the airport as I remember, and I remember 3 of them definitely owning cars (Elaine is never made clear) so that might be why they went to LGA as often as they did.

if they had cars and were picking each other up (i.e. no parking), then yeah LGA makes a lot of sense.

What other airplane/airport related things does everyone remember about Seinfeld?

way to keep it on topic and build content!

TANxTAN

mathematically these are equivalent.  i refuse to submit to your format-shaming  #AllEquivalentMathTermsAreEqual

how much weed did you smoke back in the day while watching seinfeld?
<sig>

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 10:02:20 am »
TANxTAN

mathematically these are equivalent.  i refuse to submit to your format-shaming  #AllEquivalentMathTermsAreEqual
While I support the property of transitivity, I refuse to be wasteful of characters. Gorging on unnecessary characters is a gateway behavior to overeating.
LVMH

K8teebug

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2016, 11:46:28 am »
Elaine on muscle relaxers dancing.